Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early Stage 914 search

Old 07-27-2014, 02:24 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Early Stage 914 search

So....I have too many toys right now but really getting the itch for a clean, preferably all-original survivor 914. Don't know these cars well but have a lot of respect for Rennlist folks so would prefer to base my search here. My current toys are all original/survivor cars. The 993 turbo will stay with me but I think my '68 Chevelle SS (all original 34k miles) will be sacrificed for a good 914. I'm in no hurry but would love to find a good clean car sometime in the next 6-12 months. Appreciate any recommendations, knowledge and leads. Thanks

Steve
Old 07-27-2014, 07:20 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Default Thoughts on this Ebay car?

Would be interested in thoughts on this car. Any comments on likely value of a car in this condition? Would prefer original paint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-...US_Cars_Trucks
Old 07-28-2014, 03:34 AM
ehokana
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The car on the auction looks like a very solid car. It looks to be very rust free, though I'm not sure why there are no pics of the jack points with the rockers pulled off- that is a point where the cars tend to rust. Also, I would like to see the battery tray without the battery covering it since that is another major point of rust issues. It looks like there is a bit of surface rust (not a big deal) but at that price point, I would make sure. That being said, it is a factory 6 and in fantastic shape so it will no doubt sell for quite a bit more than the current bid, and I think it would be very well worth it.

I'm not sure whether you are looking specifically for a 6, or if a 4 would be in your search category. Definitely take your time looking at them either way. Your 6 to 12 months is probably a good estimate- it took me about a year to track my current one down. The best advice I think you can get on these is to find one with as little rust as possible. They have rust issues in a few common places (in the longs, battery tray, rear trunk, bottom of the windshield and base of the front fenders)- though there are plenty out there that have minimal rust. Just be sure to pull the rockers and check the trunks/ battery tray thoroughly.
Most of the cars out there tend to be 10 foot, or more, paint quality (again, this will likely depend on if you are looking at 6's or 4's). I would expect to have to replace most of the rubber on the car (about $3,500 based on my order a month ago) unless you find one that has already been taken care of. Check to see if the dash has any cracks and it'll tell you if the car has been garaged and taken care of.

If you aren't tied to a 6, you'll probably want to look for a '73 2.0. You get the nicer early style chrome bumpers, center console, and side shift tranny. They tend to be the second most desirable behind the 914/6's.

On a side note, it's nice to see someone favoring the Rennlist community for this
Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by ehokana
The car on the auction looks like a very solid car. It looks to be very rust free, though I'm not sure why there are no pics of the jack points with the rockers pulled off- that is a point where the cars tend to rust. Also, I would like to see the battery tray without the battery covering it since that is another major point of rust issues. It looks like there is a bit of surface rust (not a big deal) but at that price point, I would make sure. That being said, it is a factory 6 and in fantastic shape so it will no doubt sell for quite a bit more than the current bid, and I think it would be very well worth it.

I'm not sure whether you are looking specifically for a 6, or if a 4 would be in your search category. Definitely take your time looking at them either way. Your 6 to 12 months is probably a good estimate- it took me about a year to track my current one down. The best advice I think you can get on these is to find one with as little rust as possible. They have rust issues in a few common places (in the longs, battery tray, rear trunk, bottom of the windshield and base of the front fenders)- though there are plenty out there that have minimal rust. Just be sure to pull the rockers and check the trunks/ battery tray thoroughly.
Most of the cars out there tend to be 10 foot, or more, paint quality (again, this will likely depend on if you are looking at 6's or 4's). I would expect to have to replace most of the rubber on the car (about $3,500 based on my order a month ago) unless you find one that has already been taken care of. Check to see if the dash has any cracks and it'll tell you if the car has been garaged and taken care of.

If you aren't tied to a 6, you'll probably want to look for a '73 2.0. You get the nicer early style chrome bumpers, center console, and side shift tranny. They tend to be the second most desirable behind the 914/6's.

On a side note, it's nice to see someone favoring the Rennlist community for this

Thanks for your post. This is very helpful. I'm not tied to a six but slightly biased to that. The ebay car is now up to $50k. I'm looking for a good car and would prefer one with the best chance of longer term upside in price. I've never believed that may cars are true investments..... with maybe the exception of the TT which has worked out very well in my favor...but I do want to protect the downside as much as possible and seems the 6's have already made quite a run up?

I do like this car and if I was going to select a color orange is right up a the top of the list. Just not sure if I want to put $60k+ into a 914 right now.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 PM
ehokana
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It seems that the prices on the 4's are also on the way up, albeit at a much slower rate. I would guess that any 914/6 out there in nice condition would be a bit above that 60k mark from what I've seen lately.

I would suggest driving a couple 2.0's, if you haven't already, and see if that suits you. Definitely not as much power, but they still get moving and you don't have to slow down for turns. You can find a very nice one that you won't have to do much work to for 10-15k, which may be a good option.

Hope that helps
Old 07-28-2014, 01:05 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by ehokana
It seems that the prices on the 4's are also on the way up, albeit at a much slower rate. I would guess that any 914/6 out there in nice condition would be a bit above that 60k mark from what I've seen lately.

I would suggest driving a couple 2.0's, if you haven't already, and see if that suits you. Definitely not as much power, but they still get moving and you don't have to slow down for turns. You can find a very nice one that you won't have to do much work to for 10-15k, which may be a good option.

Hope that helps
Thanks Just curious and I'll try to do a search when I can get to my laptop. But what was the production of the 6's? Was it lower and therefore the price being higher or is the higher price just due to the appeal of the 6? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:32 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 993TT as well and now own a 1973 2.0 as a "vintage" car. It is a completely different but also a completely fun experience.

I paid a bit more than the noted range, but the car was already gone through with new seals, redone brakes, suspension etc.

I recommend that you start hanging out at 914World. A LOT of information and classifieds there

Good luck and have fun with your search!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

I recently purchased a 914. Here are links to my "hunt for a 914" threads, and a thread with the car I bought.

https://rennlist.com/forums/914-914-...ent-914-a.html

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=236672

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.p...pic=237472&hl=
Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I recently purchased a 914. Here are links to my "hunt for a 914" threads, and a thread with the car I bought.

https://rennlist.com/forums/914-914-...ent-914-a.html

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=236672

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.p...pic=237472&hl=
Thanks for taking the time to share the links. I'll read throughout them. Congrats on your purchase. Hopefully I'll be able to be as successful in the coming months.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Early Stage 914 search