Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you have in your 914?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:39 PM
ehokana
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How much do you have in your 914?

Just curious what guys on here have into their 914's. I know it's unlikely that most of us will ever see out of the cars what we put in (though we can always hope )

Going through my resto right now, I get how the costs add up very quickly- even with what people call the "budget" or "cheap" Porsche. I've got all the receipts filed away from my project so far and wonder- albeit, nervously- what the final figure will come out to be.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:10 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 532 Posts

I've had my '71 since new so it would be a long process to tally up what I've spent on that! Luckily I put on the new OEM 914-6 suspension and brakes WAY back in the late '70's!! Split cost of a donor 914 with a friend for the transaxle and side shifter parts for that upgrade. Don't really care as it's been worth it, and the car will always stay in the family.
I know the amount I have in the '73 is WAY over its street value but that too will stay in the family as I have two gearhead sons and they will be enjoying the 914's after I'm long gone... The '73 also has sentimental value as it belonged to one of my best friends who got it soon after I got my '71. His widow gave it to me as he wanted me to have it and bring it back to life. It had a "little" more rust than I figured when we got into it, but it is perfect now and probably better than new with some of the Brad Mayeur and Restoration Design parts.
I gave up a long time ago looking at cars as investments!!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Bill Kohnke
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much have I spent?

I have a drawer in the cellar that has most of the receipts from the past 20 odd years of 914 ownership.
I would never be foolish enough to add them all up. But I have a vague idea that I could have a Caymen R instead maybe more. But nowhere all the fun and satisfaction I have had. with the cars I have the 914 relationship with.
But when I do discuss certain expendatures, say the 3.2L in the track car, all references are made in Porsche units. currently a unit has a roiugh equilivance of $2500.00.
Much better if overheard by other members in the family. Also, although fun, it might not be a good idea if one has say 5 cars and lines them up in front of the house for a display.
Bill K.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I paid $2100 for my car a few years ago. Since then I've used many parts from my storage bins, and bought many more. It hadn't been driven in many years, and probably had water introduced into the gas tank, causing an unbelievable amount of rust in the fuel system. The horror story is well documented on this site (look for my "back pad needed" and "well, crap" threads), including the valve job and oil leak repairs I had to do shortly after I got the car running. If I wasn't able to do all of the work myself I would have many thousands (at $120/hr) more in the car than what I have. And I still haven't replaced the strong but amateur rear floor replacement (rust in the past), or painted the car. To add up what I have in the car, at this point, would be, probably, enough to cause medical problems!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:23 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

First rule of car restoration: never discuss the cost of car restoration!!

Never, never, NEVER add up your receipts or discuss them. And CERTAINLY never put it in print. That is grounds for taking your car away.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Just added another $65 tall to my addiction...otherwise not counting. What for ?
This is a wonderful addiction !
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

...only one more and going back to wrenching
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm new to the 914 arena, having owned 9 other Porsche models over the years. Always wanted a 914, but steered away because I was convinced that they were all rust buckets, and body work is not my field of expertise.

Then, about a year ago, I ran across a guy who is "rebuilding" 914's as a business. He is done with mine now, so I can tell you what I bought and what it cost. Just to set the bar at some level.

The car I will end up with will be a 914-4 GT. Down the road, I will do a six conversion, but not until I have fully sorted out the restoration.

My car is a restored 1976 914-4 2.0. It is NOT a concours quality restoration, but it is essentially rust free and stock. All rusted areas were either fixed or new panels installed.

Modifications for my build include the install of GT steel fender flares, 911 front suspension, larger Boxster calipers and rotors on the front, and a five bolt conversion on all wheels. The car is carrying 7 and 8 inch by 16 inch Fuchs and appropriate rubber. Adjustable Koni Sport Shocks at all four corners. Every suspension wear item has been replaced with stock items other than what is mentioned here. The tranny is rebuilt and in stock form. The engine is rebuilt and I chose to leave it with the OEM injection. P&C's were bumped up 1 mm in diameter giving the displacement almost 2.1 liters. The rebuild on the body included all new rubber, conversion to early chromed bumpers, and new glass windshield.

When completed, I will have $20,000 invested which includes the donor car. That will certainly set a high bar for fairly stock 914 restorations! My intent is to do a 3.2 six conversion on the car after sorting out the handling issues that I am sure will be there (I should take delivery in about a month on the car). Since I have all the conversion parts in my garage, and know approximately the cost for labor to do the install, I feel that my 3.2 conversion into a 914-6 conversion will cost out at about $26,000 once completed. That net cost assumes selling the current rebuilt 2.1 motor for approximately $4000 once I have the 3.2 installed.

Not sure that I could sell the car for what I'll have in it, but that was not my intent. I just want a "nicely" and "properly" done restoration/conversion that will be reliable and fun. I think I am on my way to getting that. And, I guess that in the end, you really can't put a price on "fun".
Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

If you could do all that for 20K I'm impressed...
Old 08-03-2014, 11:48 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
If you could do all that for 20K I'm impressed...
You are correct. $20K sounds like a lot, until you begin to look at what has gone into my car. Having said that, I'm not sure that I could recover the investment on the retail market.

The builder did another car for a fellow PCA member here in Chicago, and it was that car that piqued my interest. The other car was done using Fuch reproductions and the rims were smaller in diameter and width. The owner was not that much into handling; so, he opted to stay with a stock suspension, though he did go for the 5 stud conversions.

His car priced out lower, but was still over $15k. He feels that he got very good value for his dollar. And, he took delivery about six months ago. I've not yet seen the car in person.....just pictures and specs. But, in talking to him, he really loves the car and so far, its performance and workmanship have been as advertised.

The builder runs his business out of his home workshop. And, though it is not professionally run, he appears to know what he is doing. He does all his own bodywork but farms out the rebuild of the short block and then does final assembly of the motor himself. He farms out the rebuilds of the tranny as well. He also farms out the paintwork, though he does all the bodywork and paint prep. His craftsmanship on the install of the steel flares is very nice.

Since he is pretty much a one man show, meeting schedules can be an issue, since he is always pulling off the big job to do small jobs. He had quoted me 90 to 120 days to build the car; and, in reality, it has taken almost 6 months. And, you do need to remind him to provide update photos on his work.

He probably has about 10 to 15 cars that he feels are good candidates for a restoration, so you have a choice of years. I chose a 76, because it was relatively rust free and had not suffered any collision damage that could be found. Since I live in Illinois, the state does not require smog testing on any car over 25 years old, so the 76 was not an issue for me. Unfortunately, those living in California would probably want to steer clear of the 75 or 76 models.

Anyone interested in contacting him can shoot me a PM and I'll provide his contact information. His shop is in the Salt Lake City area. Anyone interested should talk to the other Chicagoean that bought his second car. Mine will be the third car that he has done. And, I imagine that if he begins to get interest in his product, that you can expect him to begin raising prices.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

OK, add another $400 to my total! After searching for a used, cheap, suitable, quiet, o.e. muffler for my '74 1.8, and finding nothing more that rusted hulks, after market crap, and incorrect year applications, I contacted a wholesaler who I used to spend thousands/month with when I still had my shop. They had a Dansk, o.e. looking (including the short tailpipe that exits the left side of the muffler) unit at a fair price (I thought). I jumped in feet first, ordered it, and when it arrived discovered that it was in perfect condition and painted light gray. The gaskets were good, but the hardware was a bit of a joke. I had to run an 8x1.25 tap into all the threaded holes (6 holes for the mounting studs - included, and 3 holes for the tailpipe bolts - also included but too long to use). I installed the studs, rummaged through my misc hardware bin, found 3x perfect bolts, and put on the tailpipe. My son helped me remove the old, really noisy, Ansa/Anza, and together we installed the new muffler. After starting the car, and standing next it while it idled, we discovered that we could talk in normal tones, instead of yelling at the top of our lungs over the din of the old muffler. Wow! It's like a new car! Went for a drive; at 75 mph on the freeway we could actually talk to each other - before, with the old muffler, that was impossible. Success!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:14 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

Currently trying to figure out which muffler to put on the '73 I'm restoring. I'm running headers with no HE's so it needs to mate up to stock rear flanges. I like the Tangerine exhausts, but don't want to spend that much!
My dad had a Monza exhaust on his '71 914- didn't really like the sound or the looks (too bling) for that matter. It also rusted out in less than 2 years...
Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

^^^I had a two in, four out, Anza/Ansa/Monza type muffler on my car. It had no rust through areas, the heat-paint was burned off the pipe sections, it was very hard to fasten at the flanges (because of the pipe design), and I HATED IT!!! That damn thing was so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think when the car was running inside the garage. In all fairness I don't know how old that muffler was, and I'm sure that a teen-aged gear head would think it was cool, but...

Anyway, I'm thrilled with the o.e. look Dansk! Drove the car again today; my son loves the car so much he's started to call it "his car." How cool is that?

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 08-18-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iv got less than 2500. in mine. and it was folding in half in two floods and off the road since 84' . rebuilt the 1.7 on the cheap got a truckload of parts from hershey for like scrap price and worked my **** off for a year or so
Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 PM
Bill Kohnke
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $ in the 914 this month

Lets see
$198.00 fuel pump to feed the $3500.00 PMO's
$215.00 Brake Pads (good for at least10 track days)
$400.00 Trailer repairs
That is just this month.

Passing a couple of newer Audis at the Track Monday PRICELESS!!!

If you want to go cheap never never upgrade to a 6

Bill K.

Quick Reply: How much do you have in your 914?