Sponsored by:

Murphy has been hurt

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Bill Kohnke
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Murphy has been hurt

Beware the Racers that come to a DE to practice for a DE... Monday I had a Cayman ,bronze with race paint job, from Brooklyn Dive infront of me in the braking zone for 8 at Watkins Glen. AND then put his brakes on full because he was going too fast. He was only a foot away when he dove left for as he told me , to get a better arc for corner 9. The bonehead
He did aplogise when forced by the event people, all the time telling me why he was right and it was racing right?
I couldn't get slow enough so I twitched left and spun straight into the wall just in front of the flagger. I have had a few really slow down in front of me, Hey Matt remember when your coil wire pulled out on the uphill?, but not just a foot in front.
Better than hitting someone. Damn club racers don't belong in DE to practice.
Just saying.
My son and I have DE together June 6,7,8 at watkins in a week. Time to get the porta power and welder out. She won't be pretty but I think I can do it. unless the oil system is too badly screwed up.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! Iv seen your car at John Hajney's shop. probrobly the coolest 914 around here except for Steve vasenas car. Good luck getting fixed up again

Last edited by porsche930dude; 06-04-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Bill - I'm heartbroken. Ms. Murphy is such a great car and I know how much you love her. I'm really bummed to see this.

I hope you make it to the 48hrs. I'm sure you have lots of parts, but I have a hood that is yours if you need it.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Bill Kohnke
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mrs Murphy is going to the dance

Yes Mrs Murphy is very special to me and her naming is due to the probability that something will always happen. I have gathered a pretty good stash of spares to combat these issues and We refuse to give up.
That said, 7 days after the crash, I can say that Mrs Murphy will be back on the track this Friday Sat and Hopefully Sunday.
It was not an elegant procedure but I pulled out the damage untill a spare hood and Bumper would fit.
First I anchored the car to a beam outside the garage door.

Then I mounted an 115v winch to a steel 2x2" post drilled into the cellar floor then going back into the cellar and further anchoring it firmly down with a chain to a HD eyebolt. With a cable and block, I then had a homemade frame machine.

I bolted a hood on and kept pulling and hammering till the crushed parts pulled out. Ocassionally lifting the car off the ground.

I eyeballed a lot of it, but the bumper holes finally lined up(mostly) and the hood would close.
When finished I took her for a test drive and she drove staight and stopped straight. No leaks of anything unusual.
We WILL be at the Glen Friday. see you then Matt as you pass me, as always.

Bill K.
Attached Images     
Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Wdunster
Intermediate

Great job. Sometimes you have to get down and dirty to get the job done. I built "Huey" for Bob Savillle and had to rebuild him in the field. Look at naroescapemotorsports.com and the targa Newfoundland story. These cars can take a lot and come right back.
Have a great weekend on the track.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:29 PM
racing916
Racer

Bill,

I am sorry to hear about Murphy and glad you are ok. Myself and my father have had issues with this individual in the past so I am not surprised that this happened with him. I agree DE should be for learning and if your going to bring your race car then follow the rules like you are at a DE. The car looks like it is taking shape, I am glad you will be up this weekend. Hopefully we can come up and see you.

Take care,
Steve
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM
jflash914
Advanced

Hey Bill,
Good job !!! Steve and I will be up on Saturday to hang out with you guys.
Cheers,
Jack

Quick Reply: Murphy has been hurt