Sponsored by:

Looking at this 914-4

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I am considering this 1974 914 2.0. It was owned by a friend who tragically passed only a few weeks after trading his boat for this car. I had previously cautioned him against paying too much for this car when he was in the market for it, as cars that aren't stock are less valuable.

Now his uncle who is also my friend and colleague at work is the executor of the estate. I have been assisting him in determining what to do with this car, and have kind have gotten the bug to add another cool Porsche to my collection.

There is an extensive set of maintenance records. I plan to take it to the local Porsche dealer for an inspection. I know nothing about these cars other than they are mid engine, so must handle great, given my track experience with the Boxster.

I will use the search tool to learn about this car so as to avoid repeating previously answered questions. I would like to know what kind of cost I'd be looking at to bring the body panels back to stock? Presuming no extensive rust and a PPI that checks out, what kind of $ should I be looking to offer?
Attached Images    
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

Boy that's a tough one- if it is really sentimental because of your friend it may be worth more, but returning that to "stock" body panels won't be easy or cheap. Never was a fan of that Chalon (?) kit.

I got my '73 from the widow of one of my best friends growing up- we used to race and autocross against each other back in the early and mid 70's with our 914's, and watched and enjoyed every F1 season until he died in the early 2000's. The car turned out to have more rust repair than I anticipated, but sentimentally it was worth it, and is now perfect, and a great addition to my original '71. I have two boys, so I needed 2 914's...

The rust that will matter is the hell hole and longitudionals etc as you'll be replacing all four corners and the sail panels if you want to return it to stock.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

Gotta love that **** carpet!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was thinking of offering $3k if the PPI checks out. I figure at least $10k to put it back to factory configuration. Does that sound reasonable offer or a low ball? Fine line to walk here given it is a friend and I don't want to be insulting. I also don't want to overpay given the cost of reversing those body panel mods.

Last edited by Mark Dreyer; 02-19-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't like the looks, sell it.

tino
Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had been trying to get my gf to do track days in my race prepped Boxster S or my 996 TT, and she had never shown an interest so I dropped the topic. Shortly into the discussion about this 914, she mentioned it might be a nice car for her to run at an autocross or track days at Roebling with our local PCA chapter. Hmmm, that might be the rationale for buying it!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I would guess over $10k to make it stock bodied again. It's going to need rear quarters, front fenders, sail panels, and bumpers at a minimum. I would leave it the way it is and track it (if all is good on the PPI).

I honestly don't know on what it's worth. Hard to say with the body kit, but it looks good in the photos. I would guess maybe $5k?

I don't think it's a Chalon body though. It's different because it has SC bumper accordians.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had never heard of Chalon until I saw the brochure/manual in the stack of repair receipts on this car.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Why not just use it as is? Make sure that the body is sound and fix any rust. Make sure it is mechanically sound and just have fun with it.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes that's a possibility. It could be a fun street car. After all it's hard to have fun in my 996 TT on the public roads without risking life/limb or a trip to jail. A car like this would not have that issue. Heck, I could probably run it through the gears in a school zone without risking a ticket.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Mark, that is what I would do... in a way it also pays tribute to your friend as he had to like it to get it.

If you want a stock 914, you can find one for less than the cost of bringing this one back...

And you know, not that it matters,I like how it looks...
Old 02-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Chalon re-body kit, innovated by Mr. Allan Mittleman.
Allan also ran an auto parts biz in W.L.A. for many years called
Mitcom. The car was named after an offramp on the 405, near Mulholland Dr.
Chalon Dr. is now the Getty Center offramp.
Some people say that the Chalon will become a cult status car one day.
In person it is not that bad a deal, but CULT status???
Marty

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 02-21-2014 at 01:46 AM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 02-20-2014, 05:26 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My vote would be to just drive it and enjoy it. I think it would look a lot better though if it was painted all one color though. Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 PM
ehokana
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon
Chalon re-body kit, innovated by Mr. Gary Mittleman.
Gary also ran an auto parts biz in W.L.A. for many years called
Mitcom. The car was named after an offramp on the 405, near Mulholland Dr.
Chalon Dr. is now the Getty Center offramp.
Some people say that the Chalon will become a cult status car one day.
In person it is not that bad a deal, but CULT status???
Marty

I wondered if there was any connection there...
Had a girlfriend that went to school on the west side at Mt. St. Mary's Chalon campus and I always found it humorous driving my 914 up there given the name
Old 02-21-2014, 01:43 AM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I had never heard of Chalon until I saw the brochure/manual in the stack of repair receipts on this car.
Mark, from looking at the lower dash it appears to have the dreaded dealer installed DPD aircon system. These old piston type aircons pulled a lot of hp away from the type 4 engine, not to mention a lot of sheet metal hacking when installed. Check the front trunk floor, or what's left of it, you might be surprised.
For the right price , it's a piece of 914 aftermarket history. Kind of like owning a chevy powered fiberglass Excalibur. There was also a 914 body kit mfgd. By Rayco, that was plain awful styling.

Quick Reply: Looking at this 914-4