Sponsored by:

looking at a '73 2.0 and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 03:08 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a '73 2.0 and have questions

A guy is thinking to trade this 914 to me for a bike I have in stock. It is supposed to be very nice/original/mostly unhacked/etc. 36k miles, same adult owner for 8 years.

~Is this color called "Olympic Blue"?

~Can/will a ppi determine if the original engine is in there?

~Does the dent/ding in the trunk lid (bottom pic) appear to be a candidate for paintless ding removal?

~I don't care for the "PORSCHE" script on the rockers or the body color lower rear valence. Are those mods somewhat easily reversible?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow! What a sweet-looking car. Definitely get a PPI, have the usual spots checked for rust, etc.

Just curious, what is the value of your "trade?" You might have stumbled upon a pretty special car! Obviously it might need work to the brakes, fuel lines and hoses, etc., but what the heck, good bones are good bones.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the bike he is trading you, you might have found a killer deal. I think the dent will pop out. That is what the color is called and I agree, lose the side skirts.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:48 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
...I agree, lose the side skirts...
Are they just covers over rocker panels? How do they normally attach?
Old 11-21-2011, 03:55 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Wow! What a sweet-looking car. Definitely get a PPI, have the usual spots checked for rust, etc.

Just curious, what is the value of your "trade?" You might have stumbled upon a pretty special car! Obviously it might need work to the brakes, fuel lines and hoses, etc., but what the heck, good bones are good bones.
ppi with pics upcoming for certain. It has had a professional hell-hole repair about 3 years ago. He just installed new pads/rotors/calipers a few months back.

Mums the word on the "value" of my trade until further notice lol
Old 11-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

FYI; I've never had/installed a set of those rocker panel skirts, but they might be overlays because it looks like they cover the jack holes.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 PM
joejoe
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Rockers look like the thin plastic ones (I have those on my 914) If like mine the front and rear mounts are cracked and loose. For rear valance remove and repaint black, and the dent should be able to be pulled. If you cannot find metal rockers give me a shout I have 2 sets (bought a parts car just for the rockers) and then previous owner found the originals for car.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

Those rockers I believe are overlays- VERY flimsy and would not work alone- suspect the OEM's are probably rusty underneath. Nice color. Easy to repaint the rear valence. Check for the usual rust but as mentioned above this may be a good deal and a fun project.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would think since the stock ones are held on with rivets that is what those after market ones are held on with.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Those rockers used to be sold by Performance Products. If they're the ones I have on Huey, they are not overlays, and are pretty strong ABS plastic. I like them...but then again, none of my 914's are even close to stock.

We had them on Papa Smurf when he was stock bodied too. We painted the raised lettering in the body color, really looked nice.

Pic below is a young Papa Smurf with those rockers. Hard to see, but you get the idea, and how the same ones look now painted different colors, on Huey.

BTW, NICE find!! and LOVE the Olympic Blue!!
Attached Images   

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-23-2011, 04:13 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Getting closer to having a look in person. My plan is to have the car on a lift soon for a ppi at a friend's bodyshop who is intensively schooled in the ways of 914. No red flags are coming up as I get further along.

Some more pics. Sounds like a real nice guy and genuine enthusiast. After I shared with him some of my addictions (I have 7 cars and a shop with 20 or so bikes right now) he came clean

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kie,

Oh my, I've stumbled upon a kindred spirit. Over the years my garage has held a '71 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pac, 944S2, 1st gen RX7, BMW R90/6, and currently has a '69 Honda CL90 and a '79 Yamaha IT400. I've had the 914 the longest so far. You can see that I've been all over the board, and except for the Challenger, they've been relatively low-budget toys. Cars are great, but I'm looking at being able to have a few interesting bikes for the price of that future Cayman S I dream of.

The 914 has been garaged for as long as I've had it, and from the condition it's in, I would venture to say that previous owners have too.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I have my engine lid disassembled in order to paint the grille, and I was wondering if any of our readers know what the correct placement of the P-O-R-S-C-H-E letters is on a '74 car. Or are they an add on or part of an original option package? You can see how mine are positioned in my avatar, but the blue car's letters are definitely different. My lid is apart now (and the letters have definitely been off and back on), so I can put them anywhere, as long as it's correct. Also, is silver or gold correct?

No intention to hijack the thread!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:18 PM
racer
Drifting

Headlight surrounds have been painted. Factory where either White or black iirc. Body painted blue is an "extra" I agree with Bob about the rockers being replacement panels and NOT overlays. Not sure how easy it is these days to source OEM ones, in good condition. The factory ones are held on with rivets (visable when the door is open) as well as a hand full of screws from the bottom, and some "bolts" in the front and rear fenderwell.

Rubber tabs that hold the top in place in the trunk are broken. Thats typical

Get underneath.. pull up the carpets (trunk and interior) and get looking for rust. Check under weatherstripping as well. It does look nice though.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Default Strange days indeed! A Black Friday shopping story.

Woke up this morning the day after after T-Giving with new voice mails and fresh emails on the crackberry. Then said crackberry made a ringing sound. It was the guy who did the rust repair on this 914. I had been waiting 4 days to hear from him and he said it was the nicest 914 he had ever seen and the 36k miles was legit. He even added a glowing endorsement for the hi school teaching/track coaching/bike wanting long term owner. We talked a bit and this deal was sounding better and better.

Check the emails. One was from the 914 owner. Evidently the wife found out and this deal was now doomed:

"...I discovered last night that what I had thought of as my sports car, was thought of by my wife, as "our" sports car. In what may be an unnecessary statement, for the sake of domestic tranquility, I do not feel that I am able to make the trade..."

This was after a 3rd and 4th email with pictures, stories, we are kindrid spirits, etc. Irritation sets in, but I understand. A great excuse to have coffee of the day #1.

But then I checked my voice mails. One was from a guy who was interested in the same bike the 914 owner had contacted me about. An hour later new guy was in my shop. An hour after that I was dropping off his new bike at his house and counting the cash from his full price offer. The irritation from this morning was now over in the early afternoon before I even had a chance for coffee #2.

Had I thought a 914 deal was maybe in the works I probably would have shunned the prospective cash buyer and maybe lost him. Timing is everything as they say lol.

Of all the multitudes of Porsche deals I have missed over the years I must say this is my favorite

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1979 Honda CBX - $8500 (Capitol Hill)

Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Gorgeous bike! I thought you were talking about me for a minute in your post. I am also a 914 owner who is a teacher/track coach/ who likes bikes.

Sorry the car didn't work out, but there will be others.

Quick Reply: looking at a '73 2.0 and have questions