Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Pad Needed! And The Story of a '74 1.8...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Not the one I was thinking of, but http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com/index.html

Google seat belt repair or seat belt rewebbing. Those are the kind of people that can help out.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter it sounds like you have solved your back pad problem but for others, Appearance and Performance in Oregon makes a back pad with fiberglass internal structure and new vinyl. Very reasonable too... James and Heidi Houge are their names. This is a very good reproduction.

www.appearanceandperformance.com

Last edited by Rotten Robby; 11-18-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

OK, I've been asked to post some pics of this mess that I've gotten involved with, and my son just sent me an e-mail that said (I paraphrase), "Dad, I hope that you're going to document the repairs and post some pictures." Well, here's a start! Wires, wires, everywhere. Some connected, some not. Some circuits backwards, some not. Some harness sections cut open, some not. Some "fixes" soldered, some not. Some wires broken, some not. How could this happen? The mess at the center tunnel is where the seat belt interlock/no start, equipment was. And after that was "fixed," the car still wouldn't start. Hmmmmmmm...
Attached Images         

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 11-19-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

And more...

Before and after - the wheels. Old, peeling chrome and corrosion removed by A.C. Plating here in Bakersfield. $100 ($25 ea.). Powder coated by American Fabricators here in Bakersfield, $200 ($50 ea.).
Attached Images    

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 11-19-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

It's been unusually cold (mid-30s to mid-40s in my garage) here the last week so I haven't accomplished much. I have found and paid for a nice, upholstered, back pad, center tunnel tray and cushion, but the seller seems to have run up against a time issue and I'm still waiting for the parts. More on this when something changes.

I've been looking at this problem (pictured)...and realize that I should address it while the gas tank is out, and the fresh air fan housing is out (to repair more wiring, of course - this time the fuel gauge sender wiring), because I don't even know if the wiper system is seized or functional, and I guess there's no time like now to address the issue (at least the right side wiper post "well" is in good condition).

Out comes the Dremel...wish me luck!
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Good Luck. I'd suggest getting a donor panel and cuttin the section out.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

WHEW! Dodged a bullet with the rust at the wiper arm post. No perforations, just minor surface pitting. This is a big relief because I don't own welding equipment, and don't enjoy cutting on cars! A little body putty to smooth out the area...

This gives me a little confidence that I'll find metal in similar condition at the other body problem, at the lead edge/bottom of the roll bar, left side.

BTW; on another note, I ended up buying shoulder harness assemblies (inertia reels, receivers and hardware - all new) from Professionally Engineered Products (PEP) in Northern CA. I will post photos of the product when I receive my order. Total cost was $320 + $8 for shipping.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 12-06-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

I put the PEP enertia belts on my '71 as it came with non enertia adjustable belts- did it about 10 years ago figuring belts that at time were already 30 years old and should probably be replaced. Obviously not OEM but they work fine and are light years better than what it came with... (of course I still have them in a box somewhere... ) The belts on the '73 still work well but I worry about something that important that is that old!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Interesting note on my belts. PEP told me that one of my original inertia reels had been tinkered with, and one of its functions had been disabled. The very old webbing had me worried, add to that the one reel that was extremely difficult to operate (it would lock while being extended), I just decided to go with PEP's new stuff. I also had rusty anchors at the floor (both sides), and basically all of the plastic washers that allow the D-rings and anchors to pivot were junk. I think that it's money well spent.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for posting the pictures! Can you show some pics of the whole car? I want those fuchs by the way!!!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

OK, weather warmed up a little, so I made a little progress. Wiring is getting better (first two pics), gas tank is ready to go back in, complete with delivery and return pipes, and fuel sender, installed (second two pics), and the wiper post area continues to get better (need some body putty to get the surface a little smoother (last pic).
Attached Images      
Old 12-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Thank you for posting the pictures! Can you show some pics of the whole car? I want those fuchs by the way!!!!!
Jay, this is the disaster I started with (pics taken after three hours of spider web/mouse crap removal)... forgot to shoot the interior, but it's clean (nice seats, good dash/no cracks, good panels except backpad, no console or junk tray).
Attached Images    
Old 12-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

...and the new seat belts from PEP are fantastic!
Attached Images   
Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting the pictures! It looks like a good car, I will be interested to see how this progresses.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

One more pic, this is what you have to do in order to remove the wiper motor and its frame (a support nut lives behind the speedo). The bad news is that my rubber support "buffer" is broken, and the part is NLA (I have ordered a CIS airbox support "buffer" to use in its place, but the 911 part is larger in diameter and uses 8mm hardware, instead of 6mm)...

What the heck, I had to check continuity between one of the broken wires in the engine compartment, and the tach, anyway! And there was no grease on the horn contact behind the steering wheel, and...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Back Pad Needed! And The Story of a '74 1.8...