914/4 to 914/6 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 914/4 to 914/6 conversion

I know there is probably alot of info on this but I couldnt word my search to get good results.
My question is does a 914/4 to a 914/6 conversion make sense financialy? is a 914/6 thats been converted
worth some percentage of what an original is.
I love to tinker and my GT3 is almost non tinkerable. I want to get in and get my hands dirty.
I have a friend who hordes old Porsches and he has several 914s and 911s.

One of his projects is taking a 993 911 motor and putting it in a 74 911.
The 2.7 motors he is pulling out are worth much to him. I am buying a 914/4 from him (71 I think)
and I was thinking of stuffing that motor in it. does that make sense or am I wasting my time?
I want to rebuild the 74 2.7 and put it in the 914.
I know there are other mods that will have to be done like brakes etc.
But what is the best 6 to put in if thats the way I am going go?
If it doesnt make sense should I just restore the 914/4 and leave it at that.
I know the 74 2.7 wasnt a great motor but for the price it might be worth it.
I am not building this to sell it but I have to convince the CFO (wifey)
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:39 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I found the Pelican conversion site so Now I just need financial info.
thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an original 914/6. I also have a 2.0L engine for it. But it also had a 2.7L engine with carbs.............for awhile......and it was a nice engine for that car........until it self destructed: seals went bad, exhaust studs pulled, etc. POS case and it happened all around 85,000 miles. Wait until July 4th and then light it afire and enjoy the bonfire. But if you really want a good engine, get a 3.0L SC engine. I wish I had done that. I now have a 2.7L case on which I have already spent over $1800 in mods to make it serviceable, when a 3.0L case would have never required all of that stuff. Sell the 2.7L engine to someone you don't like, but make sure he doesn't know where you live.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:45 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 914-4 to 914-6 conversion gets pretty expensive... Motor, brakes, suspension are the major component differences. How you source them and to what standard is where more $$ comes into play. I converted my 914-4 to true 911 suspension front and 911 brakes rear. That cost me more than the car was worth at the time.

I prefer a NON CIS injected engine in the 914. Just looks cleaner. Plus, you won't have to cut out part of the trunk firewall to make it fit. A 3.0 or 3.2l (mmm most prefered in my opinion) is a better way to go. Much more tractible and well, more HP and TQ than a CIS 2.7

IN the end, any car that is not original requires a "just right" buyer. Someone who wants some or all of the mods, but would rather pay $.25-.50 on the dollar that YOU have just paid.

The 914 market is really starting to rise. ORIGINAL 914-6s are getting close to $30K. Original unmolested 2.0L 4s can approach $15K. All the others are enjoying the rise in values, but no, I am not sure you would get your money back making your own "six".
Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks thats just what I was looking for
I think 914/2.0 will be fine untill I hit the lottery
Old 07-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when selling a 914/6 (or any Porsche for that matter) one of the first questions is...

"is it original?"

More and more people are refusing modified cars unless they are done to almost concours level. It is very unlikely that you will modify a car to everyone's particular satisfaction.

So if you do it - plan to keep it.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Good advice from Irish Driver. A long time ago, I was advised that the highest value will be realized by the most original car. The temptation is always to "upgrade" to specs on later model cars. One example with 914/6s is the tail shifter transmission found on original sixes. It is awful, and vague and the side shifter of later model 914s is too good a fix to ignore if you plan to drive your car. But it was not on the original car. Another one is GT flares. With any kind of power increase, more tire and more braking force is almost prerequisite to enjoying that increase. But only a few original cars came with M471 option. It is a constant ache that an original six owner seems to endure if the car is to remain in such a state without flares. The fix of course is to use 911R wheels, IF you can find any, and IF you can afford to buy them. The unflared car will fetch a higher price ultimately than the flared car unless you locate a buyer that harbors a strong fetish for flared cars. That diminishes your
market greatly. Every car that is modified and tweaked from original drives the value of original cars higher. (Yippee for me) Those modified cars may also be driven more, longer and harder, with risk of destruction more likely. (That drives the value of an original six higher yet. (More yippee). And then when you have the car to concours standards, you don't want to drive it any longer. So the moral to this story is to go to a Porsche Club concours, locate an original six, and beat its owner into accepting an offer from you, right there on the spot. No waiting or thinking about it. I suspect he is already weary of the pain of preserving the car to original standards, and will let it go for less than its worth.

Or just convert a four into what you really want: a hotrod, and be done with it. Life is short some people say. Enjoy life on your terms, and keep the car forever. A giant smile will come over you in that case and you won't be able to wipe it off. (use a 3.2L six and fat wheels).
Old 07-27-2007, 06:44 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

More and more people are refusing modified cars unless they are done to almost concours level. It is very unlikely that you will modify a car to everyone's particular satisfaction.
Man its obvious you guys dont hang out at the GT forums. when you go to sell
a GT3 the first question is "Whats it got on it."
Same for newer TTs "WHats been modded" is the first question

Now if I was buying and older car as the 914, then yea I might ask if its original.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:29 AM
J P Stein
Instructor

Another old guy here.
I built my 2.7L 6-7 years ago and have been flogging it ever since. It's not quite as "crisp" as it was, but neither am I. From the get go, it has spent most all it's time at AX. I've set the rev limiter at 7100 and we bounce it off that regular like. It's pretty much a B. Anderson hot rod 2.7 motor with more compression & cam....his book is a good one. I am by no means a pro engine builder, just another backyard wrench... tho one that is careful.

The trick with a 2.7L is to build it right and keep it cool. My costs for shop work were 800 for the heads & about 500 for the short block. Putting a bunch of money in a 7R case is a waste. If it's not straight enuff to drag hone, go find one that is. Straight cases can be found in the Northern climes......CA. is warped and so are 7R cases that lived there.

Dropping a used/unknown 2.7 into a 914 can ruin your day, they need to be gone thru......unless your mom rebuilt it and swears it's OK.......The same is true of any 6 and if you can't do the build yourself, it's gonna cost you.

That said, the 3.0L is probably the best air cooled motor Porsche ever built for general comsumption. I kinda fell into the 2.7 .....that means I got it cheep.....no regrets.

The conversion "stuff" will run you about 4K with some shopping around....more if you just go pay list. The early (70-72) 914s are not as good as the 73-74. The 75-76s are....unsightly & heavy with their rubber apendages.
All of them have a flexible flier chassis....but that's another subject entirely.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

It's a good idea to reinforce the rear suspension support points in an older 914 if you plan to put some serious power in it.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:41 PM
J P Stein
Instructor

It's a good idea to reinforce the whole freakin' car.
All up weight is around 1700 lbs.
Your needs may differ......
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

If you want to see an unusually beautiful conversion, check out this car. There is one aspect of this car that is contributing to its visual impact. It took me a year to notice it after seeing it the first time. Look closely and maybe you'll notice it also. The owner finally pointed our what it was and it then became obvious. If I am not mistaken it has a 3.2L engine and the crummy original seats are replaced by Koenigs which just fit perfectly.
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2007, 11:38 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The aero mirrors???
Old 07-29-2007, 12:25 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

No that's not it. It is something that sets this particular car off from others very similar to it. Think what is usually done to these conversions and then tell me if you see the diference about this car. It is very subtle but you are looking right at it. You would need to have looked at many of these to spot it.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

3 P form one old guy to anohter that was sorta my plan- he has 2 74 911 targas and they both have 2.7 motors. He is going to trash them and I was going to take one and go through the motor from cams to rings myslef and dyno it on a stand. THEN I was going to put the motor in the 914 donor car. I have access to a bazillion top ranked machinist and engine builders here so I thought it would be worth try while teaching myslef the 911 6. Now its probably a BIT different than the motor in my 997 GT3 BUT at least I would know the basics. Now I am getting cold feet becuase the 914/2.0 is worht a pretty penny.

Quick Reply: 914/4 to 914/6 conversion