Sponsored by:

Another 914 3.0SC conversion I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 09:32 PM
High Pferdekraft
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Another 914 3.0SC conversion I need advice

Hello everyone, I just bought a '83 3.0 SC ($2500 running complete, I'm happy) and now I am going to install this into my 73 914. I have highly reasearched the whole 914-6 conversions and I know early Porsches very well. I bought a 2.7 and had it rebuilt then decided what the hell I am going to buy this 3.0 (2.7 is for sale). I bought the engine with all CIS, shrouding, exhaust still on it (it was started and run in front of me prior to removal).Engine also has: turbo valve covers, pressure fed tensioners, pop of valve.
My question is what do I need to hook this up to my 73 914 electrics, fuel system etc? I know I need a matched fuel pump (anyone have one for sale?) do these need a line to and from the fuel tank?, I guess I need a brain (what do these go for?? anyone got one?), do SC engines use the 6 pin CD box?? I have a 3 pin but I guess it won't work. Will I need the relay board out of an SC? (if so what do these cost? anyone got one?). Will I need the O2 sensor? What else do I need to consider to hook up all elelectrical and fuel components of this engine?

I have a pair of Weber 40 IDAs I plan on installing in the future, I was thinking it may just be easier to leave the engine together and run the CIS for now. Does anyone know what jets and venturis to run with a 3.0SC maybe F3 tubes? anything else needed?

I will also need 914-6 headers. What size should I run? 1 3/4" 1 5/8" ? Does anyone know the value of a complete used 3.0 '83 exhaust (california if it makes a diff). Whats the value of the complete 3.0 SC CIS injection system?

Where can I get a 9 bolt 3.0 flywheel that will fit in a stock 901 914 transmission? How much? (I just sold a used one to somebody about a month ago arrrg)

I have a NOS 914-6 oil tank, fiberglass sheetmetal, engine mount. I saw someone at a show that had a oil cooler adaptor inbetween his oil filter and tank. Would this be a feasable means to add an oil cooler? Can I mount the oil cooler under the passenger rear fender?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:33 AM
Mihai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly:

1. It is easier to do the conversion with the carbs, making the CIS work in the 914 is feasable but you're looking at a looooong project.

2. You have to have your current 2.7 flywheel machined to the 9 bolt pattern, the 3.0 flywheel can't be used. <a href="http://www.kennedyeng.com/" target="_blank">http://www.kennedyeng.com/</a> is a good place for that.

Mihai

Quick Reply: Another 914 3.0SC conversion I need advice