Sponsored by:

Transmission leak help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 10:20 AM
Brian W
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Transmission leak help

I'm a new 914 owner, and I'm trying to get her into shape. The car is leaking transmission oil from the speedo tie-in location. I can't find any information on this connection in my Haynes Manual, anyone know how to "rebuild" this connection. It looks like it's leaking from the trans entry point, from behind a collar.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2001, 01:20 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi Brian..!

Yes- the speedometer drive shafts will leak - most commonly around the rubber O-ring.. It makes for a bit of a mess on the garage and driveway floor when they leak.. Fortunately - it's easy to replacement...

1: Drain the oil from the tranny (as me how I know you need to do this!!!)

2: disconnect the speed-o cable from the drive gear...

3: Remove the set bolt from the end-plate of the tranny that holds in the drive gear assy and unsrew the retaining nut...

4: remove the drive gear from the transmission - and you will see the old rubber O-Ring attached around a grove of the drive gear body - that is the one to replace... I got mine ne O-ring from a selection pack at a local FLAPS...

5: Reassemble in reverse order - but be careful not to overtighted the set-bolt that holds the gear in place (also remember to refill your tranny with fluid...)

HTH!!!!

[ 03-06-2001: Message edited by: John D. ]
Old 06-03-2001, 11:41 PM
Brian W
5th Gear

Thumbs up

Thanks for the super quick response. I'll take on the job one evening this week. Just one follow up question. You mention not to over tighten the set-bolt. I did put a wrench on the bolt, and tried to tighten it. It turned, but did not seem to tighten up. I was careful with it, and it did not feel like it was stripped. I stopped after a couple of turns. Does this bolt pull the spedo assembly into the tranny? Will over tightening it mash the o-ring, or worse?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 06-10-2001, 11:47 PM
Brian W
5th Gear

Talking

Got the leak fixed Friday afternoon. Thanks for the help, it's doing great.

Quick Reply: Transmission leak help