Sponsored by:

914 Still Tilted

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 02:16 PM
Mike996
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 914 Still Tilted

A few months ago I replaced the rear struts on my 914 with Bilsteins, as it was leaning to one side and the problem appeared to be coming from the rear. One of the old struts was completely shot, so I figured I must have fixed the problem. When I put it back on the ground, it wss still there, now by eyesight appearing to come from a problem in the front (the rear is tilted slightly less). I should say the car was in a minor accident, but the body shop assured me this problem is nothing with the body work.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, as I am reluctant to drop a few hundred more for front struts not knowing if the problem will be fixed.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-31-2001, 02:37 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Okay. I come from the 944 scene with springs in the front and torsion bars in the back. The 914 is the oposite, right? Springs in the back and torsion bars in the front?

Anyway, it isn't necisarily your shocks. It could be your springs/torsion bars. They can get old/tired. Also, someone could have incorrectly indexed one of your torsion bars.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:23 PM
Ed Morrow
Intermediate

The torsion bars are individually adjustable, this is how you set ride height in the front. They may be mis-adjusted side to side or you could have a bad one on the low side.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:51 AM
James Montgomery
1st Gear

Thumbs up

I think Tabor Kelly is right. Check your torsion bar adjustment.
Old 06-07-2001, 05:16 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Mike,

The shocks will not cause the car to lean. That is a spring or suspension problem.

Early 914s were famous for having sagging rear springs (both would sag the same). Sporting minded owners would say “great” I will lower the front to level the car (adjust the screws on the front torsion bars, raise the steering box and realign) for better handling.

Could be you have only one rear spring that sagged (not very likely) or as Ed said, a front torsion bar is out of adjustment. I never saw a front torsion bar weaken/sag but they have been known to break.

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 06-07-2001, 12:29 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Michael Neely : Maybe you should concider some 914 Weltmeister Rear Springs. They are available from many aftermarket parts houses. Also, you could replace your torsion bars at the same time with some Weltmeister Tubular Torsion Bars.

This way you will know that your springs are good, and you will have a front spring rate to match.

Just what I would do.
Old 06-18-2001, 02:29 PM
jadams
3rd Gear

Just a slight correction, if a gas shock such as a Bilstein has lost its gas charge, it will cause the car to lean. High pressure gas shocks do add some "spring" to the suspension system. Boge or oil Konis will not have any affect on the height if they are bad.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:02 AM
Mike996
Track Day

Question

How do I adjust this? Anywhere with good instructions to check it?

Thanks

Mike
Old 06-19-2001, 07:57 AM
Ed Morrow
Intermediate

Adjustment is easy to do, the Haynes manual has a description of the procedure and a diagram of the stock measurments. The adjuster bolts are often frozen, best to free them up before you get started.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:37 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Just a thought before you spend any money....

Check one of your rear trailing arms is not twisted.

Quick Reply: 914 Still Tilted