912 Forum 1965-1969

Which pistons/cylinders for 1965 engine

Old 02-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which pistons/cylinders for 1965 engine

Hi there,

We are about to build a 65 912 original engine that's been sitting for a long time resulting in a stuck piston/cylinder.

What's ok to do here? Replace the broken set or replace all with new mahles?
I found this and wonder if it's a good/correct set for this engine?http://m.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-356-912-OEM-MAHLE-Piston-and-Cylinder-Set-NIB-/321998123942?nav=SEARCH
I've found out that this is cast iron and there is a later model with nikasil but costs a lot more.
Would the set on eBay work or should I look for something else?
Also would you recommend a place to buy the rest of the small things/gaskets from?

Thanks!
/Peter
Old 02-04-2016, 09:30 PM
FosterB
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Shasta pistons and cylinders in mine. They are performance oriented (a bit of a contradiction in a 912) and run great. I believe there is a significant horsepower increase (10-15%) with them and I've had absolutely no problems. You can read more at http://shastadesign.net/pistonandcylinders.htm
Old 02-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok thanks for info, they seem to be a really good choice.

But if we're doing a truly original restoration I guess that mahle would sound better for the purists?

Or is Shasta or LN in the same league with mahle?

/P
Old 02-08-2016, 11:49 PM
Grease Monkey
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the Shasta pistons and cylinders last year on my rebuild and I am very happy with them.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:16 AM
FosterB
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding originality, I'm not sure. I seem to see a lot of California cars with Shasta, but that may just be unique to my experience. Ultimately originality ties to the engine case, I don't think any other parts are serialized, so it could always be returned to an original condition with a simple top end swap. I don't have any experience with Mahle so I can't comment either way as to comparable quality. I assume the OEM are built from forgings and I am fairly confident the Shasta stuff is machines from billet (at least the Pistons) so that would be a big indicator if you can nail down the manufacturing method.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which pistons/cylinders for 1965 engine