Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

Street Cam and lifters for the 912.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:27 AM
Grease Monkey
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Street Cam and lifters for the 912.

I had ordered a hot street cam and lifters from Web racing cams back in early Dec. The order has been on hold due to the supplier of the lifters, today when I called again to check she tells me the supplier says they wont have the lifters until July. https://rennlist.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif

Rebuilt a 914 engine last year and used Web racing cams and was very happy with them but I don't understand how it can take 7 months to get lifters.

Thinking about just going with the stock cam and lifters so I can get going on the rebuild. Not sure about using current lifters with an new cam as I had a bad experience in the past using old lifters with a new cam and due to hardness difference I had excessive wear on the cam with in a few hundred miles.

The stock cam an lifters are fine just wanted to add a little punch to the 912 like what I got from 914.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:39 PM
Grease Monkey
Instructor

Any one else have a good experience with another supplier of a hot street cam and lifters?
Old 01-31-2015, 11:14 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey Monkey. I like Web Cam too. Been pretty good to me over the years. But why dont you call 914 LTD (Brad Mayeur) and see if he either has a hot set up for you on the shelf or can give you a straight up suggestion with what you have. He is such a fine gent (I have known him for 30 years) I am sure it could be to your advantage.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Grease Monkey
Instructor

Just ordered a Neutek hot street cam and lifters, also ordered Shasta pistons and cylinders.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:34 PM
CPT Obvious
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy GM,

Question; I've heard that the crank is the weak point of our engines. Is that something you've looked at with the cam upgrade? I have the 1720cc jugs on mine and I'm reluctant to do much else for fear of breaking anything. How far can we go before we jeopardize the reliability?

Thx,
Paul
Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Grease Monkey
Instructor

The machine shop magnafluxed the crankshaft when they checked and polished it. I am not going with their race pistons, or their 90mm just their street pistons which are 86mm cr 9.25 I think that brings it up to 1720cc. Also the cam I went with is their street cam.

I don't plan on pushing the car too hard just looking to have a little more punch when driving over some of the mountain passes around here.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:16 PM
CPT Obvious
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grease Monkey
The machine shop magnafluxed the crankshaft when they checked and polished it. I am not going with their race pistons, or their 90mm just their street pistons which are 86mm cr 9.25 I think that brings it up to 1720cc. Also the cam I went with is their street cam.

I don't plan on pushing the car too hard just looking to have a little more punch when driving over some of the mountain passes around here.
I'll look forward to hearing how you like once it's back on the road.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Grease Monkey
Instructor

Looking back through some old posts and wanted to add my feed back on the Neutek cam and Shasta pistons.

I have put 3,000 miles on the engine since the rebuild and have to say that I am very happy with the results. I does have a lot more punch to it especially between 3500 and 4500 rpm.

I don't have the proper distributor for it yet with the correct curves so I have the timing adjusted for the 3000 rpm and so it suffers a little at the low end but still very happy with it but looking forward to getting a Bosch 031, or the programmable 123 distributor.

Quick Reply: Street Cam and lifters for the 912.