912 Forum 1965-1969

To paint or not to paint....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To paint or not to paint....

Ok, Love my 912 .. and made it trough two long lists of projects over the last few winters... now.. on the list was to re paint the car. its pretty solid looking.. but there are definite flaws ..and a really bad area( in my opinoin) where someone tried to do a touch up job and didnt do it well).

so, anyone here every done the prep and paint track. i like to try to learn things .. so i was thinking maybe my son and i could do some of the disassembly, and strip the paint. and then take to good shop for finishing what we gave up on and painting.

i have seen some posts that the full project at a shop is 10K + .. any thoughts on this. what did you do ? what should i do ?

oh, last thought. my car used to be bahama yellow and somewhere along the way was repainted the brighter yellow. i really like the bright yellow. so i am thinking of re painting the 'new' color.

thoughts ??
Old 10-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Do it.

$10k is priced so you roll it in ~ and then roll it out. No hands on. Cut that in half if you do some of the prep work. Let them final sand & straighten so they will stand behind the job. But take it apart & reassemble yourself. Great project.

Here was my thread for reference. https://rennlist.com/forums/912-foru...something.html
Old 10-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Grease Monkey
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for it. My Son and I did it for his 914 six years ago, no experience but just what we learned from youtube and from the auto body supply shop.

We built a temp paint shop in the back yard and ended up painting it our self after doing all the prep work. Did it end up being perfect? no, but it was pretty good. The worst part about doing it yourself is you know where all the imperfections are.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

michael B - the amount of work you put into your car is amazing ! not sure i want to go anywhere near a project that size!

i am thinking we remove paint .. remove parts and then trailer to a paint shop to get it done... i'll let you guys know if i decide to move forward
Old 10-31-2014, 12:14 AM
Great_Escape
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing the dis-assembly and re-assembly yourself will save money and its not a large daunting task like a complete paint job

Quick Reply: To paint or not to paint....