69 912 - street & Track car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 AM
davePorsche
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 69 912 - street & Track car

Hi Guys,
been lurking around the forum a while so thought i would post a few pictures of my 69 912. It has been lowered, running 205 tires, just upgraded the brakes, put in some R style seats with leather and cloth inserts from seats from vintage seats, momo steering wheel, etc. she is a blast to drive.

a few pictures .. first from a DE at mid american motorplex. second with a friends '66 race car.. had just been re painted so graphics are not on yet.

Last edited by davePorsche; 06-13-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Luv-Luv that
Old 06-14-2013, 12:59 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Love the color. But then I am biased...
Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice! That looks like it would be fun to drive.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:24 AM
ultra912
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice! My 912 is set up almost identically. I also have Vintage seats from Michael, TRE roll bar, F&R konis and sway bars. My engine was built by Andial.

It would be great to meet up for AXin' if we weren't half way across the country. Your car looks great!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM
jh321
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently looking for a 912 or 911sc track car. Have you driven an sc alongside your car? Which one do you have more fun in? I haven't driven a track version of either but the lightweight 912 is calling my name...
Old 10-17-2013, 10:29 PM
nsx
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 912 suspension upgrade questions

My 1966 912 is a challenge to drive at 65+ mph . It is constantly moving about and requires a good bit of attention to drive. It has stock suspension as far as i know and is in good working order.
I want to have a better feel at higher highway speeds and i dont have that now.
I drive it with enthusiasm.
What would you suggest as a performance /street set up? jeff
Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 AM
ultra912
Instructor

Originally Posted by nsx
My 1966 912 is a challenge to drive at 65+ mph . It is constantly moving about and requires a good bit of attention to drive. It has stock suspension as far as i know and is in good working order.
I want to have a better feel at higher highway speeds and i dont have that now.
I drive it with enthusiasm.
What would you suggest as a performance /street set up? jeff
Front 19mm adjustable sway bar
Rear factory 15mm sway bar
Bilstien or koni shocks on rear and adjustables on the front
Spirited driving requires a good brake system. Had my calipers restored with Pagid pads. That's your safety net.
That's what I have but as you well know these cars are very light thus any excessive wind blows me all over the place high speeds or not. Passing a big rig on the frwy can sometimes blow me over. My torsion bars have not been touched. I lowered the stance about 1.5 inches. Make sure your rack and pinion is in good shape as a sub par one will be a challenge especially at high speeds. A corner balance I hear works wonders. I have not had that done. I can say when AXing or DEing I have spun the car but solid like a go kart. No issues with regards to stress damage there. I have heard some say they have cracked there rear sway bar ball pins but the 912 is much lighter in the rear and upon occasional inspecting I have no stress issues. Hope this helps.

Bob
Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

I have pretty much the same type of work as Ultra912 don on the yellow 912. I dont have the exact specs with me on the various products but I would guess very similar.

The 69 is so close to the 69 911 that many parts are the same or can go across. I upgraded my 912 to the 911 brakes. vented rotors and bigger calipers all around.

also running bigger lower side wall tires probably helps the handling.

my car has every non essential thing removed and a back roll cage so it is probably lighter and overall stiffer than when i started.

I am not an expert at this stuff. but i can tell you that i have hit 100mph on the track and braked hard into a turn a 30mph and it tracks straight and true.

bottom line .. 5K in suspension parts and labor, lowering the car, alignment, and tires is probably your best way to go to get good performance. I only put about 30 miles on the car before dropping it off at a shop to change her up..

now . on the more painful side of things. a few people told me not to track her without putting in a deep sump oil system - who me ? take advice? no way! so i tracked her.. and continuous radius turns probably starved her for oil and she blew the engine. soooo, same shop is now rebuilding the engine. tough lesson to learn.. and the new engine will have a deep sump and an oil cooler to keep her humming. anyway, i make a lot of mistakes .. keeps life interesting i guess.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

a few more pictures.. i am definitely in the 'i've put more into this than it is worth' category now. but the car is great - people love seeing the car. i also have a 993 c4s and i have had many people say if they could have one or the other they would take the 912. maybe its the yellow ?

1. smaller momo steering wheel.
[/URL]

2. new vintage seats. perforated leather sides, cloth insert, solid back. you can also see in this picture the door. we took the stock door panel out and put in a rs style door with a simple strap pull. - although - i want to change that big strap as passengers are always trying to pull that to close the door. needs to be smaller so passengers use the little handle to close the door.

[/URL]
Old 10-19-2013, 02:13 PM
ultra912
Instructor

Are those Vintage Seats from Michael? Mine are from them also. An R and and RS for the driver. Only 21 pounds each! The stock seats were 65 lbs each. I'm running Nitto Extreme Performance NT450 205/55/15 tires. I was gonna go with the Yokohama Advan AO48 205/60/15 but 225.00 each!!! They make the 60 series. The Nitto's only come 55 series.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/de...Fc1xQgod1VkAng

Great streetable/track tires. The Nitto's are half that.

Are those retractable seat belts?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 AM
davePorsche
Instructor

Since the 912 forum seems to be rocking lately I thought i would update a picture on my little slice of the forum... living up here in the Midwest this is a tough time of year... so very close to getting the cars back out .. but still so very F'ing cold and snowy.

Ultra 912 - the shoulder harness system in the car is not retractable .. and totally in the way all the time. but i suppose it is DOT approved since i drive on the road. And yes, seats were done by Vintage Seats. not the cheap option.. but man... really fantastic.

I actually popped my motor last fall.. painful story... it has spent six months getting some TLC at a shop and is back in the car .. i'll post some pictures soon. also adding additional safety gear to make the car still street legal but eligible for vintage events.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 PM
ultra912
Instructor

Hey Dave, post more often. I like that car our cars seem to be a lot alike. Are your mirrors 911 SS small flags (72-73)? I just got rid of the crappy ones that came with my car 15 years ago and got a small flag. Correct location now lets me see better but no passenger is a bit to get used to. Is your right side in the factory location or did you move it forward? I hear you can't see well out of them using the factory location since they are actually for RHD cars.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ultra912, davePorsche, those are beautiful seats. Just beautiful interiors.

I have been thinking of using 911 trim in the dash... available in ebay (got a set for my son's project)... seems a better finish for the interior that the original flat aluminum trim... and seeing it in your cars, well, no brainer... just looks awesome.

I will see to getting a set with the cutouts for the radio and ashtray... in the SC project I went without cutouts...

Old 03-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh....69 cars... Mine is 67' so I do not think that trim will work on mine...

Quick Reply: 69 912 - street & Track car