Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

69 912 - street & Track car

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:10 AM
ultra912
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear solids are almost 300.00 for each rotor! I just had my rear calipers restored and Eric at PMB was telling me that if the rear rotors are no longer within acceptable spec the way to go is a spacer in the caliper and a vented 911 rotor. Mine were fine though so I was cool. I guess it's not a difficult swap. The solid rears are 69 only on the LWB.

The VHT clear is to preserve the yellow zinc plating. The brake dust and road **** just cleans right up. That's another recommendation from Eric. Three coats and bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
davePorsche
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice Ultra ! I was deep in enough projects so i just bought restored 911 calipers for all 4 corners along with the vented rotors...but as I recall the total cost was still reasonable compared with the solid rotors and rebuilt 912 calipers.

I should say i got opinions about the master cylinder on the 912 not being set up for the 911 brakes. good point. My master cylinder was bad too .. so i replaced that as part of the brake project.. but anyone considering a switch to 911 equipment should include looking at the master cylinder as well. i say this because i really dont know enough to give advice to anyone ... all i can tell you is it seemed to work for me.. and remember that the 69 912 is different enough from previous years that what worked easily for the 69 may not work easily for older years.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My '67 has a single master cylinder setup, and looks like the owner prior to the PO I bought the car from, had the brake system completely rebuilt. It has a new MC in place... At some point I will look into replacing that setup with a dual master cylinder configuration like in the newer cars...

EDIT:OK, found the kit sold by CSP:

http://classicandspeedparts.com/inde...art&Itemid=127

So might be easier to figure out than what I thought... just get the kit and be done with it... cool.

Sorry for the hi-jack... Back to normal programming then...

Last edited by Wachuko; 03-07-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:52 PM
ultra912
Instructor

Jaime, upgrading to the dual circuit is a great inexpensive modification from originality. I got mine from Will at CSP but he is actually MIA now. I got a 19mm racing MC, not the factory original.

Dave, PMB restores the front two and/or the rear two calipers for only 279.00 a pair. They come with upgraded SS pistons and new zinc plating and says they are restored better than new. He is well known in the Porsche community and he is in Utah. I did all four of mine with SS brake lines and the larger MC. My car used to pull slightly to the right when braking now it's straight as an arrow.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:21 AM
davePorsche
Instructor

since we go on the topic of brakes.. i found a few pictures from last year for a quick comparison... i found this to be a pretty satisfying DIY. i enjoy that many of the guys selling and working with vintage parts are pretty patient on the phone with a bunch of questions and observations - and maybe even taking a 'what the heck do i do now" type question during install..

old...

and .. new...

Old 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM
davePorsche
Instructor

and .. finally.. engine is back in car - like this week 3/5/2014 ... not yet running.. but getting close .. wish i had the skills to do this type of work myself.. waiting is terrible...

also, after a number of conversations it was decided to put the oil cooler on the deck lid - as you can see in this picture. since this isnt really to be a purpose built race car .. having the cooler up in the ront and running 30 feet of tubing - etc .. just started to get a little extreme. with the extra fan and extra oil - combined with deep sump - there should be plenty of cool oil for the engine to enjoy..

Old 03-08-2014, 11:37 AM
davePorsche
Instructor

and the 912's garage mates... hey its supposed to get above freezing this weekend here ... almost time to get the cars out..

Old 03-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Great You guys are killing me... that looks awesome... Now I feel bad for not doing the same. Mine looked nasty (all new calipers that were left to rust without any protection)...

Before:

But I used silver caliper paint instead... seeing your calipers, finished all pretty like that, makes me want to reconsider the finish on mine...

Originally Posted by davePorsche
since we go on the topic of brakes.. i found a few pictures from last year for a quick comparison... i found this to be a pretty satisfying DIY. i enjoy that many of the guys selling and working with vintage parts are pretty patient on the phone with a bunch of questions and observations - and maybe even taking a 'what the heck do i do now" type question during install..

old...

and .. new...

Old 03-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by davePorsche
and the 912's garage mates... hey its supposed to get above freezing this weekend here ... almost time to get the cars out..

Love those cars... missed them as well...

Here is a few photos of the R32 I had, what a fun car:

993C2S was stolen and the R32 I had to sell to give way to the 996TT... I still have the haldex filter wrench in my tool box...

Enjoy them in good health!!
Old 03-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Excellent on all counts.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:35 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

Wachuko - we pretty much had identical cars. i have owned that for ten years... it really is a fantastic car. i did a suspension upgrade on it .. a UM tune .. a few other little things but other than that it's stock and has never let me down. i am starting to think about a new DD ..but honestly.. when i go drive other cars and look at the price.. i always end up keeping the R !
Old 03-08-2014, 02:54 PM
ultra912
Instructor

Nice you guys!
Old 10-12-2014, 04:31 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

Default Summer picture

It's been a fun summer with the 912 .. Sad to see the days getting shorter and the sun isn't quite warming is up like it was ...

Maybe the last cars and coffee of the year.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:33 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The car looks great Dave! It looks like a nice weekend around here this coming weekend, but I'm sure it's going to be a short lived. Garage project are near
Old 10-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Great_Escape
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the whole style of your car. Looks like a lot of fun to use.

Quick Reply: 69 912 - street & Track car