912 Forum 1965-1969

dead cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 12:46 AM
Norm Dewhurst
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post dead cylinder

I am baffled. I have a 67 912 with about 3k miles on a rebuild....yes I rebuilt it. Cyl#1 is dead. I pull plug wires and with #1 there is no loss of power. I checked spark yes it is there, the fuel can be seen spraying out of the main nozzle. I have compression about 115 lbs. However, a leakdown indicated an intake valve leak. I took the engine down and pulled the head expecting a valve guide or valve seat problem. They both appear fine. What the heck is going on??
[*]rennlist
Old 10-24-2001, 11:57 PM
912Driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you check to see if you crack the piston rod? that might be the problem. if you can pull the piston out and see if you have combustion on it, that might be the problem as well. but you said you do have compression in there? Also does the engine go vroom vroom clunk vroom vroom clunk when you drive it or is it not driving period? you might want to check how much gas is actually being sprayed. Also is the car carburated or fuel injected im assuming carburated because its an older car. e-mail me at imabum69@home.com if you get stuck

Quick Reply: dead cylinder