Steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:21 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel removal

Hello Again

I shouldn't be in this forum as i have a 964 but i have a friend who has a lovely 912.
The steering wheel is slightly off centre so he came down to my garage for me to straighten but i didnt want to damage the horn centre and force it so i wonder if you guys could tell me how to remove the steering wheel please.
I did a search like i always do but couldn't find anything relating to my problem.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

To remove the steering wheel you should turn the central horn ring a bit to the left. About 15 degrees will do it. Then it should lift straight off,--mind the wires (for the horn).

Then take a large (maybe 27mm) socket wrench to it. Hold the wheel with one hand and loosen the nut with a 1/2 in drive with the other. What I like to do is to do it in a long driveway. Make sure that you know what driving straight ahead is with the steering wheel and place the steering wheel accordingly. Once you know it's good,--torque it down good. Make sure the horn wires are clear, and then twist back on the horn portion of the wheel.

If you're talking about a 912E then you need to pop off the horn from the wheel. There are 4 little attach points for that steering wheel. Reinstalling it is just by aligning the horn section, and then rap firmly at each of the corners to reinstall it.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel removal