Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Taking the plunge on a 930 Slant. What to do before I buy??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:34 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NBoost
Keep us updated. Cassis is a perfect color for an 80s icon. And yes, RPM has a bonkers inventory. Delivery mile cars like the green 89 trade for crazy money.
OK, deposit is in. It's the '88 Cassis at Isringhausen with 11K miles. Right at the top of my budget for a slant.

As with everything, a lot hinges on the final inspection. Not worried about the oily bits as there was an extensive refresh and the owner appeared to care about having the car in top shape (love seeing multiple lines of 'Owner requested we do X...' on a garage invoice).

For me it's all about paint and interior. I've seen way too many cars where the seller's definition of 'mint' does not match mine. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by IrishAndy; 03-22-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:35 AM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
OK, so the Slant Nose is the look that intrigued me most as a kid. More than the Countach. More than the Testarossa. It's not just the look, but the story and the history as well.

After 18 months in what I consider to be the best sounding car ever made (the Cayman GT4) I am selling and taking the plunge on a low mileage 930 Slant coupe. More details to come. I expect to put a deal together in the next 48 hours.

I don't know if this is the bottom of the current market for slants, but with the recent correction I feel comfortable enough in taking the plunge.

I've only been looking at real 505's with all documentation and ancillaries and with recent major services, so I have that part covered (the only exceptions I've have given on are copies of the original window sticker vs. the true original). There are probably other things I'm not so versed in though, as my classic car experience is very limited.

So, I'd love advice on anything I should look for in the final hours/days from 505 and 930 owners in general. And also what I need to arrange:

What to Look for:
- other than overall condition (I'm a detailing junkie) I've seen cracks in the paint at the bottom of the A pillars on some of these cars, general damage to the lower valance on the fronts, stitching coming apart on the steering wheels (regardless of mileage) and badly repainted wheel centers. Is there anything else I should be looking for that can be typical on these cars?

What to do:
- Transport, etc. will be covered... but classic insurance? I have no idea where to go or where the better classic car policies (expecting very limited mileage) can be found.
- Storage. It will be in my insulated garage. As a detailing enthusiast I'm against car covers. I'm considering a car capsule or similar. Thoughts? Also about setting a rust inhibitor in there, like zerust? I have no experience in these things.

Any and all help appreciated. Time is ticking!
I have a beautiful 1-wner, NO nones black / Tan sport seat slates with 18,000 miles. $189,000. Also, if you don't buy my mine, you might want to call me. If very fluent in all slantnoses and I'm sure i could be of help PM sent
Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Well, you don't get offers like that every day... You guys are incredible!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 PM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

Anytime. If you need my to look at one in FL Im your MAN! NO CHARGE!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:05 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

OK, the level of guidance and expertise I've received from 1990ruf has been insane. Whatever level is beyond 'the next level'... It's that level...

The cassis did not pass inspection for me, so it's on to the next one. This board is everything I hoped it would be in terms of helping with my search. This place rocks!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:51 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

OK, the level of guidance and expertise I've received from 1990ruf has been insane. Whatever level is beyond 'the next level'... It's that level...

The cassis did not pass inspection for me, so it's on to the next one. This board is everything I hoped it would be in terms of helping with my search. This place rocks!

He has been an invaluable resource to me as well. I wish I had known him before I started buying cars. Do you have a target for the next car to check out? Enjoy the process, the hunt is half the fun.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:24 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NBoost
He has been an invaluable resource to me as well. I wish I had known him before I started buying cars. Do you have a target for the next car to check out? Enjoy the process, the hunt is half the fun.
1990ruf has some leads on some cool slants. I'm also thinking of taking a look at the Cassis on RL. Seems like a good, conscientious owner...

As a mental sideshow I also have one half of one eye on a largely undocumented DP/Kremer car that's coming up for auction. Can anyone spell 'sucker'?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:17 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

1990ruf has some leads on some cool slants. I'm also thinking of taking a look at the Cassis on RL. Seems like a good, conscientious owner...

As a mental sideshow I also have one half of one eye on a largely undocumented DP/Kremer car that's coming up for auction. Can anyone spell 'sucker'?
An undocumented DP/Kremer? What could go wrong? Haha, if you're not a PCA member join and post a wanted ad there and in the print magazine. Can't hurt to post a WTB ad here on RL too. Not sure if Hemmings has a WTB section but if they do post there to.

As someone who has gone about this the wrong way before I applaud you for doing it the right way. Your car will find you eventually and it will be worth the wait.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:04 AM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

Pay up for the right car.

Right car : Low miles, original paint or mostly original paint, good history, extensive service history, excellent condition, clean undercarriage, books, tools etc.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, deposit is in. It's the '88 Cassis at Isringhausen with 11K miles. Right at the top of my budget for a slant.

As with everything, a lot hinges on the final inspection. Not worried about the oily bits as there was an extensive refresh and the owner appeared to care about having the car in top shape (love seeing multiple lines of 'Owner requested we do X...' on a garage invoice).

For me it's all about paint and interior. I've seen way too many cars where the seller's definition of 'mint' does not match mine. Fingers crossed.
Did you get the car?
C
Old 03-26-2017, 05:26 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

I had to walk, unfortunately. Interior perfect and mechanically excellent, but most of the paint had been redone (at least the clear) which was not disclosed in any of the history.

It has turned out to be a blessing in disguise... great people here helping me to find the right car for my budget. What a great experience!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:40 PM
tug68
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe these cars had a clear coat. They were single stage paint
Old 03-29-2017, 04:41 PM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

Metallics did.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:49 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by tug68
I don't believe these cars had a clear coat. They were single stage paint
Originally Posted by 1990ruf
Metallics did.
I know this is probably not the right thread for this,... but since ItishAndy is clearly spending a lot of time & effort looking for the right slant nose....

Correct. My research found that as far back as early 80's, the metallic's received a clear coat, but all the non-metallic (black, red, white) did not. I know my guards red did not have clear. But if you've followed any of my other 964Turbo threads, I had a CeramicPro 4-coats of 9H applied this past winter, and the results are phenominal. 2 more coats of the hydrophobic light on top of the 9H, and it is exceptional. It now almost feels as though there is a clear coat on my single stage red. It made it look so much deeper (which in my opinion is one of the advantages of metallic's over straight colors. I love my red don't get me wrong, but I like a LOT of metallic colors too).

Anyway,... I did have a question for those of you in-the-know:...

Back in the 1980's, the metallic colors that received a clear coat,... does anyone know exactly what type of clear coat PAINT was used? Was it a enamel or a lacquer? and if so, was it hand wet sanded?

just curious on the actual products they used, and the process.

Thnx,
=Steve
Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I know this is probably not the right thread for this,... but since ItishAndy is clearly spending a lot of time & effort looking for the right slant nose....

Correct. My research found that as far back as early 80's, the metallic's received a clear coat, but all the non-metallic (black, red, white) did not. I know my guards red did not have clear. But if you've followed any of my other 964Turbo threads, I had a CeramicPro 4-coats of 9H applied this past winter, and the results are phenominal. 2 more coats of the hydrophobic light on top of the 9H, and it is exceptional. It now almost feels as though there is a clear coat on my single stage red. It made it look so much deeper (which in my opinion is one of the advantages of metallic's over straight colors. I love my red don't get me wrong, but I like a LOT of metallic colors too).

Anyway,... I did have a question for those of you in-the-know:...

Back in the 1980's, the metallic colors that received a clear coat,... does anyone know exactly what type of clear coat PAINT was used? Was it a enamel or a lacquer? and if so, was it hand wet sanded?

just curious on the actual products they used, and the process.

Thnx,
=Steve
Thanks much, Steve! Agreed with above... - I haven't seen an 80's metallic Porsche that didn't have a clear coat. Likewise, I didn't see an original solid single-stage thermoset paint of that era that did have a clear coat.

I actually liked the solids without a clear coat. They have one benefit... If you add a paint cleaner/conditioner that contains conditioning oils (e.g. Zymol HD Cleanse) the paint accepts the oils and immediately deepens and darkens. You have to be careful when you apply, because if you miss spots, those streaks look noticeably lighter and less deep. It's almost a test IMO to determine if your solid color '80s paint has ever been cleared later in life...

As to your question, I believe it was an enamel clear coat in the 80's on metallic Porsches, though I've never seen definitive documented evidence, so we really need a paint geek to chime in. Someone who's deep into the history may know if they ever experimented with (poly)urethane concoctions in the '80s or '90s...

Andy

Quick Reply: Taking the plunge on a 930 Slant. What to do before I buy??