Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

76, need advice on a compassionate/appropriate restoration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:25 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts
Default 76, need advice on a compassionate/appropriate restoration?

I purchased a 76 one owner 1976 silver/?lobster about 6 years ago for a good price. (obviously)

It was a driver(53K), no accident and one average respray but the interior is worn pretty bad. dash is warping and drivers seat has tears in the leather. Initially before the values skyrocketed I was planning on doing some performance upgrades but given the market and my plans NOW not to track, i am thinking it best to remain close to stock.

I purchased new 78-79 turbo calipers front and rear and was going to upgrade for the occasional track event but may end up just parting with these. Would it harm my future sale to upgrade, the stockers are ok for street use?

Engine had a top end done by original owner about 10 years ago, runs great, so my plan was to do general maintenance. I pretty sure it does need headers though.

My question is should I do any engine modifications to let it breath a bit better, i was considering aftermarket headers, exhaust and a turbo upgrade.

I was planning on having the interior completely restored/refreshed. Much of the interior is in good shape with appropriate patina but not sure how it will look to do lets say both front seats, dash and door pockets and leave rear seats alone.

Paint +/-, it looks good from 10 feet, maybe leave it be and just address the rubber/trim items/decals. Or should I just get a quality repaint in the original color? change all the rubber, seals, ect.

I did buy some 16 inch fuchs which look better, i suppose i can always go back to the original spec 15s.

I m not planning on selling anytime soon, but when the time comes, I don't want to look back and regret some of the modifications...

Money is not a major concern given the value of the early 930s, if it was a 25K car, a 9k interior restoration is expensive, but at current values 9K seems like a bargain.

So main questions?

1. should i upgrade the brakes to 78-79 brakes?
2. should i repaint for a concours condition exterior?
3. I don't have a choice for interior seats, dash, door panels they are a bit rough...
4. should i stick with oem headers, exhaust, turbo and just make sure maintenance is up to date.

many thanks..
Old 07-05-2015, 06:34 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

i took some quick iPhone pics, general condition...
Old 07-05-2015, 11:16 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Correctly restored that car would be worth a lot of $$. In general it's ok to do exhaust upgrades as long as you keep original parts. If you are going to do anything do a good, through and complete job. I'd start with interior and exhaust and drive the **** out it if it was mine. I'd leave brakes alone unless you are tracking car and need bigger brakes.
Phil
Old 07-05-2015, 11:25 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Really nice looking car. For the interior you will need to pull out the windshield to get at the dashboard. Robert Budd at http://www.classic9leathershop.com/ does beautiful work. He is fair and timely on his work. Modifications is a personal thing. If you do swap brakes( later 930 brakes are pretty damn good) save the stockers for when the time comes to sell. In the end it's your car..do what makes you feel happy. Don't save the car for someone else to enjoy, make your memories with it while you have it.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:28 PM
idart930
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll need to find an original dash pad as that is a 1977 version with the center vents.

It's really unusual to see the black carpets, dash pad and door tops with lobster eather. Do you know if that was the original fitment from the factory?
Old 07-05-2015, 11:40 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

I can vouch for carpet and leather being original. I still have to get a Coa but will they list these configurations ?

Iplan on classic nine to do the work this winter. I spoke with them about a month ago. Only 3-4 hours from myhouse.

The dash center vent did look off. I suspect the car was outside a lot and the sun baked the original.

Anyone care to throw out a number for what the later turbo brakes sell for. I doubt i willfind a receipt.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Depends..79 930 brakes were 2 piece rotor hat combo..later years were a 1 piece. without knowing what you exactly have I'll throw a price out there $2-$3K(assuming they are used).
Old 07-06-2015, 01:38 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't do any modifications at all, i would restore the interior and dash as best I could. Then I'd sell it for enough to buy a new turbo s!
C
Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 AM
idart930
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by osu s2k
I can vouch for carpet and leather being original. I still have to get a Coa but will they list these configurations ?

Iplan on classic nine to do the work this winter. I spoke with them about a month ago. Only 3-4 hours from myhouse.

The dash center vent did look off. I suspect the car was outside a lot and the sun baked the original.

Anyone care to throw out a number for what the later turbo brakes sell for. I doubt i willfind a receipt.
With the black carpets/dash pad/door tops, the COA should list it as "interior to sample, 99". It should also list the leather color as "Copper Red, 76", since lobster was not introduced until 1977. Is your rear deck black leather as well?
Old 07-06-2015, 10:07 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

It looks like the dash and front seats need help but I'd have carpets cleaned and have really good detail done and see what you have. It's very tough to match the new materials to the older weathered stuff- you see cars listed for sale where only front seats have been recovered and they stick out like a sore thumb. It's been my experience that the correct deep pile carpet is not available (a least in brown). I'd love to hear if any one has a source for the correct carpet. Awesome car!
Phil

Last edited by pu911rsr; 07-06-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I wouldn't do any modifications at all, i would restore the interior and dash as best I could. Then I'd sell it for enough to buy a new turbo s!
C

I ve thought about it…selling for a ferrari….
Old 07-06-2015, 05:28 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I can attest to Bob Budd's work. See the lobster interior in my '77 in a earlier thread. You can't do the leather piece meal. I tried to do the dash first and the rest later, but the red didn't match. So, I'd do all the red and hopefully all the black, too. He has the correct carpet, too. It makes a huge difference. Do it right, the car is worth it.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:25 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Idart, the rear deck is also black
Old 07-06-2015, 11:30 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Jfort,i saw your thread, your car turned out fantastic. I guess its all or none. By the time someone tries tinkering/repairing/stitching/dyeing the original, i think it wouldbe best to have the whole thing done.

Idart thanks for the name correction on the leather, i had no clue, i follow your posts over at ferrArichat...you know your 930s
Old 07-07-2015, 04:15 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Can anyone restore a leather dash back to the way they originally looked? The ones that I have seen with the stitches around the binnacle don't look good IMHO

Quick Reply: 76, need advice on a compassionate/appropriate restoration?