911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Insuring your 930

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx1
I'm using American Modern Home insurance...only catch is I can't drive mine to work or the store, and mileage is limited to 1K per year, which is cool...
Sounds very similar to restrictions I have on my AC policy (can't drive mine to work or the store - occasional pleasure only). The difference is that my state dictates to the insurance companies that the minimum mileage they can insure for is 5K/yr even though I won't see anything near that. You have to know I'm likely being hit extra $ for the 5K vs. your 1K but there's nothing I nor my insurer can do.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update from Condon Skelly

After reading post about Condon Skelly use restrictions I called CS today. It is true that you are not covered for "regular use vehicle" but you are covered for pleasure drive. If you stop for the ice cream on your "pleasure" drive you are still covered.
I was told that all collector car insurance carriers are the same in this regard.
Does anyone know a company that will cover without this limitation?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:50 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Well I ended up doing the umbrella angle after all. Ended up costing about $670/yr for $130K agreed value and 4,000 mi/yr restriction as an "exhibition" vehicle. So Dairy Queen seems to be in as long as Im not on my way to Home Depot to pick up lumber and stick it on the roof of the car.

I actually had the office of the President at Safeco call me and speak to my issue after seeing a Tweet I sent off to them saying I had to fire them as my insurer. I pointed out that the guide they use as their main argument for valuation was published in July 2014 so she needs to take that information to her underwriters and tell them that book is obsolete for Porsche 911s. She said she'd do so and apologized for the issues. As much as she apologized on behalf of herself and the president of the company, its still their underwriters they are standing behind. So that only goes so far.

Only real difference on the umbrella now compared to Safeco -- other than the increased agreed value -- is the policy coverage that went from 500K comp/coll to 250K. But the umbrella has a million in coverage overall so its far more than I need.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Matsuzaka
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Two things I'd like to point out about American Modern:

-I asked my home insurer agent about American Modern and he said that he can write policies thru them but that he wouldn't be able to match pricing with brokers that specialize in this kind of policies. So, it seems shopping agencies is prudent.

-American Modern does offer optional coverages that allows you to drive your car to work sometimes and other pleasure uses.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Insurance is Complicated

Richard Newton recently posted this on the Pelican forum;
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post8662943
There's always things to learn.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Interestingly Condon Skelly uses Ironshore Indemnity. I agree you can't use the car to drive back and forth to work or daily stuff but if you are out for a drive and stop along the way you are covered.

CS was considerably cheaper than Hagerty or Grundy. Nearly 1/3 the price I was quoted. You should have an easier time getting agreed value since there is a lot of info regarding the sales of 930's. They base agreed value on auction sales more than anything and there have been a number of cars selling for serious money at auctions. Unfortunately only one 3.6T has gone across the auction block and that is no enough for me to up my coverage above $200k which is keeping my car at home. Hopefully the one they have at Gooding in August will match the previous sale price of $330k so I can increase my coverage and start taking it out again.

BTW your car looks like it is coming along nicely any chance we will see it any club events?
Old 06-12-2015, 04:08 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by MO Shark
Check out Grundy.
Last time I checked he didn't write in New Jersey. He must know something.

I stand corrected. I just got a quick quote online. But the devil is in the details.

Quick Reply: Insuring your 930