Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

My motor is almost ready to go back together!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 06:46 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts
Default My motor is almost ready to go back together!

"Steve,*Crank is back, balanced and polished. It measures within .0005" of new!Remarkable, I take liquid coolers apart with half the horsepower and half the miles and they are worn almost to the limit!"

Backstory

Oil change last spring had metal in it. Oil sample showed high levels of iron, lead and copper. No $hit...I could see it! Ended up some of the rod bearings were close to the backing and the lay shaft (IMS) bearings were totally humped. The car still had great oil pressure. This would have never shown up on a leakdown or compression test. The crank was the thing that had me worried ( what can I say...I worry ) but Bavaro told me before he tore it down these cranks are so well made that its near impossible to wreck one.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Jitters
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
"Steve,*Crank is back, balanced and polished. It measures within .0005" of new!Remarkable, I take liquid coolers apart with half the horsepower and half the miles and they are worn almost to the limit!"

Backstory

Oil change last spring had metal in it. Oil sample showed high levels of iron, lead and copper. No $hit...I could see it! Ended up some of the rod bearings were close to the backing and the lay shaft (IMS) bearings were totally humped. The car still had great oil pressure. This would have never shown up on a leakdown or compression test. The crank was the thing that had me worried ( what can I say...I worry ) but Bavaro told me before he tore it down these cranks are so well made that its near impossible to wreck one.
That's great to hear. Getting ready to pull my crank in the next several days...wasn't looking forward to it but I thing I have a bearing issue to resolve...

Quick Reply: My motor is almost ready to go back together!