Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

'79 at Mecum Auction Sat 8/16

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 05:29 PM
shlobeck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vehicle is put on a Dyno and the emissions are tested at 15mph and 25mph with a tailpipe "sniffer". A visual inspection is also included in the test. The leaning of the A/F mixture is a common technique which can be effective.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by idart930
Can 49-state '76-79 930's be registered in California assuming they have proper emissions equipment? I've seen this discussed on many threads but there always seems to be a swirl on 49-state vs. California engine specs for the '76-79's and if they are all allowed. Is the California DMV savy enough to know that Porsche made two different U.S. 930's in the 1970's and if so, do they care? Will they look for the California emissions decal in the window and Cali spec plate under the engine lid?
The emissions decal has been absent from California vehicle front windows since the "Nox device" days of the early 70's. The decal under the engine lid is the deal breaker.
Upon registering an out of state car at the Cali DMV (including Canadian cars), this will include a physical inspection of the decal "This vehicle conforms to all California emissions for vehicles built on " / / ". Bring along all of your sales documents, proof of insurance , and the smog certificate. Don't
even bother a trip to the DMV without a smog cert. So...however the car managed to pass through the smog check ; without the required emissions decal when undergoing the DMV visual...it will take some good persuasion to move it through the process.
Marty
Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon
...+ the Cali. HB's would solve the dmv inspectors paperwork...
Marty, what are the Cali. HB's?

Originally Posted by idart930
...Will they look for the California emissions decal in the window..
I think the decal Rich is referencing is the one on the side rear left window seen on some CA cars.

...The decal under the engine lid is the deal breaker.
Upon registering an out of state car at the Cali DMV (including Canadian cars), this will include a physical inspection of the decal "This vehicle conforms to all California emissions for vehicles built on " / / ". Bring along all of your sales documents, proof of insurance , and the smog certificate. Don't even bother a trip to the DMV without a smog cert.
Are you saying, if someone brought a '79 930 with a 930/64 engine into CA with a 49 State Emissions Sticker on the deck underside they would not be able to register it because it was NOT specifically built for CA and did not have a 930/63 engine with the CA Emissions Sticker? Or, could it pass if it met the required 49 State Emissions as built?

So...however the car managed to pass through the smog check ; without the required emissions decal when undergoing the DMV visual...it will take some good persuasion to move it through the process...
Are you referring to the '79 930 that was at Mecum?

Bud
Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Bud,
I'm not referring to the Monterey Mecum 930, not familiar with it. A few years ago a Maserati Merak was offered at auction as
"Not conforming to California DMV registration" as well.
California 930 HB'S are the heater boxes that appeared on all of the U.S. dealer cars sold between 1976-79. The thermal reactor canisters were attached to these hb's, part of the required "Non Catalyst" sticker on the left door jamb.
Similar hb's appeared on n/a 911's from 1975 to 1977 (only in Cali), but the 49 state cars received a better "Primary resonator" exhaust, which was interchangeable with the European (and later the 1986-89 911turbo) style exhaust.
I have not spotted the 930 left rear window emissions sticker to date.
Marty
Old 08-26-2014, 01:56 AM
kenikh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd kill to get a closer up look at #525. My car is #521 and it's on a long honey back to original worth a lot of missing details. This car worked be a treasure trove. I'd fly just to get 30 minutes with it.

Oh and my car still has its snorkel washers.

Quick Reply: '79 at Mecum Auction Sat 8/16