Wheels for a 930...(Fuchs 17")

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Wheels for a 930...(Fuchs 17")

Well folks, I am not in a rush to get wheels for the car, but for sure I will be switching to a set of Fuchs (not original size) as soon as I decide on the right strategy! Wheel change is a must for this car.

I will have the car apart soon and start cleaning and restoring over the next 6-9 months. I will be keeping the car mostly stock other than the fact that I would like to go a little wider on the wheels and switch to 17", but without rubbing and keep the tires inside the fenders. Sizes: Maybe 9X17 front? and 11X17 rear?

So I started to read about Fuchs wheels and my head hurts now!!!!
I see that you can get Euromeister, or Zuffenhaus, or Braid...

This is what I have found out thus far:
Zuffenahus (but Jeff Alton is no longer there? Made in Germany?)
https://www.zuffenhaus.us/cgi-bin/co...ion&key=st-613

Braid (Made in Germany?)
http://braidusa.com/Wheels/Comp/BZ/BZ.htm

Euromeister (boy, there is a lot of "noise" about them and they don't make a 17" Fuchs...)
http://www.automotion.com/euromeiste...r-porsche.html

Any ideas and some pictures would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:24 AM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was Googling and found the below. I haven't checked it really except for the home page.
"The Fuchfelge" in sizes 17, 18, and 19. Look like forged Fuchs but use their own fox-style logo.
http://www.fuchsfelge.com/index.php?id=195&L=1

Some years ago, someone had posted something about a company that converted 15"-16" "donor" Fuchs into 3-piece 17" - 18". I think there was something about concerns of reliability etc, though.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 87turbo911
I was Googling and found the below. I haven't checked it really except for the home page.
"The Fuchfelge" in sizes 17, 18, and 19. Look like forged Fuchs but use their own fox-style logo.
http://www.fuchsfelge.com/index.php?id=195&L=1

Some years ago, someone had posted something about a company that converted 15"-16" "donor" Fuchs into 3-piece 17" - 18". I think there was something about concerns of reliability etc, though.
Thank you! The "fuchsfeldge" is the "new" Fuchs classic wheels that you find on the 997's. At least they have the new look, and I am looking for the "old" original look.

The other guys you are thinking of Lindsey Racing. I think that you send them the hub and they do the rest...the problem for me is that I do not have any of that stuff!

So I am going from scratch here, and I hope that someone here points me in the right way. On Pelican there are longggggggg threads covering this topic with lots of points and counterpoints and points and counterpoints --> Advil!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:55 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I bought mine from wheeldude. I wouldn't trust them on the track but for street use they are fine.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:42 AM
panzerfaust
Instructor

hello igooz

i too just bought a 86 930 and the car dosent have the stock fuchs (bbs mesh).

i met up with paul of Braid wheels today discussing the wider 17 fuchs with the proper offset to run without 930 spacers. He said the 9x17 and 11x17 dont exist yet since they havent gotten enough orders to start a batch. I ask if i found porschephiles to commit to 10 set would they consider making a batch and he said they would. We didint discuss the detail of the pricing but i did mention that the listed price on there website was steep. he said we can discuss the cost later if we get enough orders to get em started. i assume we would get a price break.

i driven a friends 930 that is lowered quite a bit with elphant racing suspension running 275F and 315R kumhos R compounds and it had no rubbing issues. i ask how light the wheels were and paul said typically on their other fuch replicas they come in a few pounds lighter. paul isnt only a braid rep but rally races a 911SC and a Subaru equipped with braids. i reckon braid wheels would be strong enough for street use.

any interest... shall we start a group buy list?

regards

pf
Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^ thanks.

I am definitely interested in getting some 17" Fuchs for my 930. 9F and 11R with ideally no spacers at all if possible. TT Surgeon reminded me that we may need to cut the studs, TBD.

I have a call into Zuffenhaus and I am sure that they will call me back on Monday. I need to conclude if these guys are still tied to Jeff Alton or not, if the wheels are still forged and where they are made, and then timing. I don't care for the CYA statement on their website: "off road use only" so I need to ask about that also.

There are some great pix of their stuff on the web.

As far as Braid the BZ series look really excellent. Are these German forged wheels? I see a Birmingham MI address and I have asked a friend of mine lives in that town to do a fly-by for me this week to see if this is a business or ...

I think that other folks with 930, 930S, NB 911, and 964 can be interested in a group buy. But I need a little more homework before I can place an order.

So yes...interested.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just sold a set of HRE Fuchs 17x9&11. They fit perfectly with no spacers. A 3pc wheel is easy to get in the correct offset.

Only downside to 17s is tire availability. If you are heading to the track, the selection of tires is limited - and likely to become more limited in the future.

Word of advice for upgrading... Pick a tire size from a popular track car. In my case, GT3 size. There will always be track tires available to fit the GT3. So I went with 18x9&11. Then I use 225 or 235/295-18...

Also, beware the reproduction Fuchs. A lot of them are cast and are not strong enough to be safe. Many regions of PCA actually ban them from the track - see the tech form. In the case of HRE, the centers were forged new. So that's fine. Some others take original Fuchs and cut them down to make the centers. That's better too but it is still a 30 year old wheel... Beware.

Even better than Fuchs... Have you seen these HREs? Period correct BBS clone!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Peter, thank you! Great information. Speaking for myself, this car will not be used at the track.

Do you have any pix of your wheel please? Also what was the offset or backspace please?
Old 08-04-2013, 01:43 PM
panzerfaust
Instructor

The Availability may be less than 18's but tires for 16's never exist even back in the 70's or 80's for 11inchers. Personally I feel 18s look odd on a stock G bod car. Too large and profile too low perhaps?

I've had some bad luck with HRE's on F360 at Fontana. we apexed over the curb like every other car out there n bent a rim. eventhough someone lent us a spare off challenge car we had to tow the car home cuz the bolts were a different length. Like most 3 piece spun or rolled barrel wheels HRE are light but dont take on dings well IMO. Racer love em for you only have to repair the damage portion of the wheel. Your wheel damage risk goes up as the side profile goes down. Not a lot of purpose built race cars run low profiles ie 35,40 for that reason. Having said all the I probably would have purchase you wheel had I known!

I wouldnt discount a wheel that says "off road use only" it's a liability clause for the sue happy Americans. I've delt with other small outfits on creating modern vintage wheels. if a small company tried to certify the wheels properly they couldn't make a dime. To simply put it, the low volume wouldn't justify the certification cost. Are popular Linsey wheels certified? I recall RW wasn't bad but TUV was a nightmare of a process but that doesn't mean wheels don't get tested internally.

The wheels are made in Spain. I asked about the process and the manufacture wouldn't even tell him! It's proprietary. I'm assuming they may be friction welded for I don't see any large seam lines, weld bead or fasteners

Regards
Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

I don't recall the offset etc. For repro Fuchs, fitment is not a big issue. The people who make them know how to fit them. I mean... what other car are they going to go on?

Here are some old pictures...
http://www.driversmeeting.com/pcarroll/albums/11

Old 08-04-2013, 09:35 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

The Zuffenhaus wheels are now partnered up with Fikse. http://www.fikse.com/wheels/specialty/

Excellent choice for wheels. Will probably need to shorten the studs. Get new short studs no need to cut them.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
...Also, beware the reproduction Fuchs. A lot of them are cast and are not strong enough to be safe. Many regions of PCA actually ban them from the track - see the tech form. In the case of HRE, the centers were forged new. So that's fine. Some others take original Fuchs and cut them down to make the centers. That's better too but it is still a 30 year old wheel... Beware.

Even better than Fuchs... Have you seen these HREs? Period correct BBS clone!

Yes, many thanks! I will stay away from the Chinese wheels (no disrespect).

The Gold BBS style look awesome! I remember those when they were new! This time I am going for the stock look. My car will be a restoration project...sort of like my mental health project!

Originally Posted by panzerfaust
...I've had some bad luck with HRE's on F360 at Fontana. we apexed over the curb like every other car out there n bent a rim. eventhough someone lent us a spare off challenge car we had to tow the car home cuz the bolts were a different length. Like most 3 piece spun or rolled barrel wheels HRE are light but dont take on dings well IMO. Racer love em for you only have to repair the damage portion of the wheel. Your wheel damage risk goes up as the side profile goes down. Not a lot of purpose built race cars run low profiles ie 35,40 for that reason. Having said all the I probably would have purchase you wheel had I known!

I wouldnt discount a wheel that says "off road use only" it's a liability clause for the sue happy Americans. I've delt with other small outfits on creating modern vintage wheels. if a small company tried to certify the wheels properly they couldn't make a dime. To simply put it, the low volume wouldn't justify the certification cost. Are popular Linsey wheels certified? I recall RW wasn't bad but TUV was a nightmare of a process but that doesn't mean wheels don't get tested internally.

The wheels are made in Spain. I asked about the process and the manufacture wouldn't even tell him! It's proprietary. I'm assuming they may be friction welded for I don't see any large seam lines, weld bead or fasteners

Regards
^Many thanks! I will pursue Zuffenhaus/Fuchs tomorrow and will report back here...That is the look that I am after, 17" (9 and 11) with black centers, with "one piece" look. I am also not sure how these are assembled? I will ask...PS: These are the only wheels on Fiske's website that are marked "off-road" use only, which tells me that they just purchased the tooling or I/P and they are making them in house...

I have my guy cruising Birmingham, MI this week to check out Braid. We can compare notes later. Sounds like you want the same wheel that I am after?

Originally Posted by speednme
The Zuffenhaus wheels are now partnered up with Fikse. http://www.fikse.com/wheels/specialty/

Excellent choice for wheels. Will probably need to shorten the studs. Get new short studs no need to cut them.
^Yes, thank you! We will know soon! Timing, price, construction, stud length, spacer, etc....
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're going to get custom wheels anyway, why not in the correct offset to use the factory studs/spacers, unless that would inhibit width in some way.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

I was also going to add to design the custom wheels for the stock studs fitment etc. Otherwise you might limit yourself or some future owner in the future.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
panzerfaust
Instructor

I have the real BBS wheels on my car. the option would be to use the centers and get larger 17 in barrels for em. Personally I prefer the very early BBS wheels with the flat sharp pentagon hub face in magnesium. you dont often see these on street cars since the durability is suspected for road use. if they were the mag version i would keep em .

Ive been at the Fiske facililty 20 odd years ago picking up some BMW wheels. they were located near seatac/seattle back then. i didnt see any sort of mass production tooling in a traditional sense. i recalled most were chucked up to a CNC mill or lathe. a small operation based on quality. Im not sure where they are now or how big they have grown. I here either them or kenesis have be take over by a conglomerate focusing on higher volumes... you know what that typically means...

I have pretty good idea what the offset is for no spacer 9 and 11 would be. i would like mine to be close as possible with a finger or 2 clearance on a rolled fender.

Quick Reply: Wheels for a 930...(Fuchs 17")