79 Slantnose Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 PM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 Slantnose Turbo

Hey all,

I'm looking at a 79 Turbo Slantnose and would like some thoughts. My understanding is that this was not a factory option in 79 but some dealers offered it. This car has a steel conversion done at delivery by an authorized Porsche dealer. Seems to have been done well, including the slats above the wheels. I'm not a big slantnose fan, but the car has been exceptionally well cared for and is in a color combo I love and had never seen before (petrol blue/cork).

So what is the general view on these pre-factory slantnoses? Thanks, in advance.

Mikey
Old 10-16-2010, 02:48 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not for me, and I'm a slantnose fan. I came very close to buying a slant on three different occasions. However each of those was a factory M505 slantnose.

Not even sure that I prefer the slant look. For me part of the cars allure lies in the way these cars were assembled at the factory. Very much hand built in a small workshop by real craftsmen. These cars were extremely high dollar in their day.

A wanna be slant seems too "Miami Vice". Have any heavy gold chains to go with that? Car's first owner was probably a drug dealer!

But you're not even a slantnose fan. Why bother? Most 911 owners are not slant fans, I think.

If you can get it for less than the cost of a stock '79 turbo, it might be a "buy".

Phil
Old 10-17-2010, 11:21 AM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Not for me, and I'm a slantnose fan. I came very close to buying a slant on three different occasions. However each of those was a factory M505 slantnose.

Not even sure that I prefer the slant look. For me part of the cars allure lies in the way these cars were assembled at the factory. Very much hand built in a small workshop by real craftsmen. These cars were extremely high dollar in their day.

A wanna be slant seems too "Miami Vice". Have any heavy gold chains to go with that? Car's first owner was probably a drug dealer!

But you're not even a slantnose fan. Why bother? Most 911 owners are not slant fans, I think.

If you can get it for less than the cost of a stock '79 turbo, it might be a "buy".

Phil
Thanks for your response, Phil. I may have a gold chain somewhere; may be in the same box with my white jacket with the padded shoulders.

The "why bother" part is the car's condition and color combo. You're right though...if I don't like the nose before I buy it, it's unlikely to get better over time. And it's not being offered at a discount to a stock turbo.

Mikey
Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Just check it out see what kind of conversion it is and living in Miami I can definitely say my slant gets much more attention than a regular bug eyed turbo. Try to get some pics of the light linkage and several people here can tell you what kind of conversion it was.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:22 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd agree with Ken.. the 930 Slantnose is an 80's Icon.. you either like it or you don't. The configuration was derived from Porsche customers wanting the 935 look for the street. Porsche saw it as a way to fill thier coffers as it was offered first only through the Special Wishes Dept, and later (87-89) as a $23K option. Some dealers (not all) were able to offer the option as "dealer installed" with choices available. One of those dealers was Alan Johnson Racing. They used factory parts and offered three options with the headlights, factory using the correct Porsche linkage and motor, or aftermarket round or sqaure using the Mazda motors.

I have owned three 930 slant nose cars and love them! One was a factory Special Wishes car on a euro spec 930, another was a steel conversion using Golden Coachwerks aftermarket parts done to a high level of finish, and the one I still own was an Alan Johnson Racing conversion that used factory parts.

Funny, my car is also Petrol Blue/Cork... was never owned by a Drug Dealer and happens to be #12 of the 1978 US production run.

You should take a good look at the car, may be a good deal. Please post some pics as I'd like to see my cars twin?

Thx
Old 10-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Porschekonig
Advanced

I too loved look of the brake vent & boxed rocker option Porsche offered through Porsche's Sonderwunsche Programme (Special Wishes Program) from '81-'89. The slantnose/slopenose or what Porsche called the flachtbau/flatnose option was offered up for those who wanted a more racing inspired look and had the wallets to pay for it. I never did like the slant look of the front end tho'.

Are you sure a Porsche dealer did the conversion? Some of the aftermarket shops that were doing these conversions were both good and bad so you need to be careful of what you are looking at. Closely inspect the brake vents to ensure they were cut in and installed cleanly (no welding beads, excessive mud application...etc). I have seen some hack conversions where the vents were installed upside down...ugh. You also need to check that the rocker mounts were welded in properly and that the rockers fit tightly against the body. That Petrol Blue color was the color I was hunting for in this model originally (pretty rare color for this car) but found my low mileage '89 in Gran Prix White after a 5 year search and had to have it!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to sort out the history behind conversions can be difficult to say the least. I have an original M505 car so my experience base is mainly with them.

However, if the car is a '79 please consider that Porsche didn't start delivery of slantnose cars (for europe only back then) until '81 and even in '81 there were just a few examples built, or so the story goes, since it was at the very beginning of an evolutionary process.

Your conversion had to be done well after original production of the car not at delivery. Makes me wonder if the dealerships retrofitted these cars years later too, like the conversion shops did.

I'm sure if they did that would be relatively easy to track down. Pictures would help ID a year range for the conversion.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
mikey175
Racer

Hey all,

Thanks for your input. Here's the link to the car I was describing:

http://www.myhotcars.com/inventory/?...9800449XXXXXXX

I am also considering a Turbo Targa.

M
Old 10-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw a Mecum auction last night, '79 Slantnose Turbo sold for $38,500., red.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM
WERK-I
Pro

$38.5K for a replica slant? Who says the car market has bottomed out?

Tial Wastegate(1.0Bar), K27-7006 turbocharger, Euro fuel distrib, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM
zcoker
Track Day

Last year at Barrett Jackson in West Palm Beach, I saw an early modded 911 go for $58k. This car had racing seats, fabrication everywhere, everything aftermarket. Later on after I left, I heard that a white slant conversion went for mid $40k. This was during the so called bottom of the market.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Mikey175

Okay the pics help a bit. First, the fender design was not one of the early ones from '81. So that puts even more time between the whole idea of it being done at delivery or not....

While it's always tough to see the small details from pictures, here are a few observations. The car does not have the rocker extensions for the jack points as per the factory conversions. Also the slats are painted body color not black (minor point there). The front valence isn't Porsche either to the best of my knowledge.

Here is a pic of the original factory prototype slant that was first registered in October of 1980. Even on this first prototype you can make out the plug for the jack point extensions. You can also see that back then not only weren't the headlights retractable but the front fenders did not yet have cutouts either.

So if you consider just the rockers and the front valence at least some factory parts weren't used. Also, the conversion was also done well after delivery in '79. The car looks nice but do some more digging. I would just hate for you to pay a premium for a story that doesn't hold up.
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Well as soon as I opened my mouth on the boxed rocker extensions I looked up this picture of another early factory cars and low and behold no jack point extension.

So I guess I need to retreat a bit and say that all the '87 thru '89 M505 cars had them but I guess earlier than that there was some variability. Although I would assume that fairly quickly the factory reverted to the jack point extensions since without them the factory supplied jack would be worthless.

Of note a different bumper and light configuration. I have seen several built this way in the early '80's but they still predate the final form we see on the '87 thru '89 US cars....
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:52 AM
3.6conversion
Instructor

I'm in Atlanta and also have a 79 petrol blue / cork car with less miles (40k) and similar engine upgrades. if you buy that one let me know.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:39 PM
mikey175
Racer

All,

I have decided to not buy the slant at this point. Thanks to your input, just too many concerns and the more I think about it the more unsure I am about owning one.

Mikey

Quick Reply: 79 Slantnose Turbo