Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

79 Slantnose Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about the price, but that's a beautiful color combination. Awesome looking car as well.

A couple of things I noticed. It has a tow eye hook plug in the rear bumper. How long was that available? I don't recall my car (87) having one and my tool kit doesn't have the tow hook.

Second, what's in the center console? A manual boost controller?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:10 AM
3.6conversion
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
I don't know about the price, but that's a beautiful color combination. Awesome looking car as well.

A couple of things I noticed. It has a tow eye hook plug in the rear bumper. How long was that available? I don't recall my car (87) having one and my tool kit doesn't have the tow hook.

not sure how lonmg it was avaialbe but my 79 also has the plugs/provision in the rear bumper for the tow hook.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:45 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A930Rocket

ROW cars had the tow hook plug in the back bumper us cars did not because they had the bumper connected to shocks instead of crush tubes. If you have a ROW 911 in the US mostlikely it has the tow hook connection and bumper shocks because when they were federalised the crush tubes were replaced by bumper shocks.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:09 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

That is a beautiful car (the petrol blue '79 for sale at www.myhotcars.com). I love it. I bet they would take $33K for it. Very striking and stunning.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:12 AM
maxwedge528
Advanced

when i bought my first slantnose...aftermarket conversion..in the early 90s, it took me about a year to decide that i did not really like the looks. it was an excellent conversion and included a complete repaont of the car to guards red. the car was originallt continental orange...wish that it still was. anyways, i traded the slant parts for the standard 930 front end parts and have never second guessed the decision. so in my case...i am not a slopenose fan regardless of color or color combination. i had my car repainted in black...should have gone back to the original continental orange!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could understand the psychology of the whole slant nose phenomena.

Maybe somebody could fill in the blanks of this logic trail:

In the beginning,Pre-slant 911's and 930's

Then the 935 era (Porsche interprets the rulebook and the slant nose is born)

Aftermarket shops spring up because everyone want the look of the dominating race car of the day

The factory comes on board to get its share of the profits and the Porsche built cars are finally available through dealerships to the US

Miami Vice pops up and somewhere the Miami Vice association is born. Add in a sprinkle of '80's excess for flavor.

Fast forward a couple of decades and the 935 connection to the slant nose cars has been thoroughly replaced with a connection to a TV show and a reflection on a decade of US culture.

How the heck did this happen? I love my slant and consider it a tribute to the 935 and an enhancement of the basic design. I wouldn't trade it for the standard look however, I can appreciate that it's a matter of taste. Don't get me wrong I love the basic 911 look too but the whole way we got here mystifies me a bit
Old 10-31-2010, 06:35 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only part of the 505 that I liked was the rear brake vents. I put in a pair of steel beautifully made vents and have had a lot of positive comments. To me it gives the car a more exotic look without all the bling of a real 505. Obviously if you are looking for collectability then a factory slant is the way to go unless the car is a steal.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 PM
3.6conversion
Instructor

Originally Posted by kens911
ROW cars had the tow hook plug in the back bumper us cars did not because they had the bumper connected to shocks instead of crush tubes. If you have a ROW 911 in the US mostlikely it has the tow hook connection and bumper shocks because when they were federalised the crush tubes were replaced by bumper shocks.
this is interesting. i have a US car never monkeyed with and it has the provison for the hook and includes the tow hook in the tool bag.

Quick Reply: 79 Slantnose Turbo