911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

smoke on deceleration and occasionally on startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 AM
fletcher0780
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke on deceleration and occasionally on startup

I've only had my 87 930 with 50K for less than 1 week and I've noticed that after accelerating to 4-4.5K if I let off the gas I get a puff of blue smoke. I can recreate this reliably. About 50% of the time I have a good size puff of blue smoke on start up, it clears up very quickly. I'm not sure how to relibly recreate this, but it appears to depend on the driving conditions before I shut the engine off. I've had smoke on cold and warm starts as well as smoke free cold and warm starts.

I have no smoke at idle or acceleration (light or hard). I believe all these symptoms point to worn valves or valve guides. One other inportant not is the car has been driven very little over the past 5 years (maybe only a couple thousand miles) and since saturday I've put on 500 miles.

Should I be concerned or should I just keep driving? Whats is the estimated cost for replacing valve guides? I assume it involves dropping the engine, so it's probably a good time to do about a million other things? Other than this issue the car runs awesome. It has a nice 800-900 RPM smooth idle, starts easy, drives smoothly out of boost, pulls like an animal in boost.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Shemmer
Pro

My car is exactly the same to the tee. Sometimes a big puff on start up and sometimes almost nothing and I've had my whole motor done except for the pistons themselves but new seals, guides and rings.
What I have noticed is that there always seems to be a little oil in the air intake and intercooler, which I believe is being pulled up from the vent tube which pools then drains down into the turbo and burns off on start up so I'm sure that contributes a bit but the natural design of the motor also causes oil seapage. As my mechanic once said, "I'd be worried if you didn't have some smoke on startup"

Some of the pro's here have a better description so wait for them.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is probably valve guides and or a turbo seal. I would do both when you do do it. Those seals in the turbo are probably shot. To do the guides is about 7k. You basically take the heads off and do a valve job while you are there.A turbo..I would just buy a remanufactured one from kkk probably 1k ish
Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 AM
fletcher0780
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shemmer
My car is exactly the same to the tee. Sometimes a big puff on start up and sometimes almost nothing and I've had my whole motor done except for the pistons themselves but new seals, guides and rings.
What I have noticed is that there always seems to be a little oil in the air intake and intercooler, which I believe is being pulled up from the vent tube which pools then drains down into the turbo and burns off on start up so I'm sure that contributes a bit but the natural design of the motor also causes oil seapage. As my mechanic once said, "I'd be worried if you didn't have some smoke on startup"

Some of the pro's here have a better description so wait for them.
good to know I'm not alone here

Originally Posted by ricster
It is probably valve guides and or a turbo seal. I would do both when you do do it. Those seals in the turbo are probably shot. To do the guides is about 7k. You basically take the heads off and do a valve job while you are there.A turbo..I would just buy a remanufactured one from kkk probably 1k ish
Wow, $7k for the valve seals? What if I throw in a new K27 and see how she does then?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:04 AM
surfridermason
Pro

Location: Philadelphia, PA , USA The Great Fighting City of Brotherly Love

Valve seals require pulling motor and taking jugs off... it's a big job.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ricster

It could be either or both.. but I think it's the turbo seal because it's inconsistant. And as you stated, your not getting it during hard excel or decel.

If it's really bothering you, pull the Turbo and have it resealed first rather than doing both at the same time and laying your car up for months. If cures the problem..you're good. If it doesn't, drive unitl it worstens and you're tired of it. I wont damge the motor.

As far as re-sealing, talk with Kevin @ Ultimate Motorwerkes.. I think it is. He'll either rebuild/re-seal or sell you one orff the shelf.. upgrade maybe?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
fletcher0780
Advanced

Originally Posted by onboost
It could be either or both.. but I think it's the turbo seal because it's inconsistant. And as you stated, your not getting it during hard excel or decel.

If it's really bothering you, pull the Turbo and have it resealed first rather than doing both at the same time and laying your car up for months. If cures the problem..you're good. If it doesn't, drive unitl it worstens and you're tired of it. I wont damge the motor.

As far as re-sealing, talk with Kevin @ Ultimate Motorwerkes.. I think it is. He'll either rebuild/re-seal or sell you one orff the shelf.. upgrade maybe?
It only smokes on decel abter being "on boost", I'm hoping that means it's the turbo. The car sat for several years before I bought it. I talked to Kevin about buying a K27 7200, I think that's the route I'll take after I sell the recaro seats.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Ok I was trying to remeber who said they had some Recaro's for sale.. We've been looking at a couple different sets for my buddies car, I'm sending you a PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:27 PM
fletcher0780
Advanced

Well, my car was smoking like a pig today! I could get into boost (.4 bar) push in the clutch and let off the gas and the smoke would come curling out. I got under the car and found the bottom of the cold side on the turbo is wet and dripping:

My turbo is the original 3LDZ and has obviously seen better days. I placed an order for a new K27 7200 hopefully I'll have it by next weekend and I can get it installed.

My fingers are crossed that this will fix most of my smoking, it seems the logical starting point since the turbo is obviously leaking and exhibits the common symptoms. If I still have smoke after the turbo install, I'll need to start saving for the valve stem seals.

I need to sell the recaros that came in my car to help pay for the turbo, here are some pics, they are like new black cloth and include the 930 sliders, seat belt brackets, and the fire extinguisher mount shown. If you pick them up you can have the chrome halon extinguisher too, but I can't ship it.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

What model are those seats?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
fletcher0780
Advanced

SRD's, the original receipt from 05 shows $1500 almost with the sliders and fire extinguisher, only 1000 miles were put on these seats.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fletcher0780
SRD's, the original receipt from 05 shows $1500 almost with the sliders and fire extinguisher, only 1000 miles were put on these seats.

Dude I sent you a PM with my email regarding the seats.. haven't heard back.
???

Thx
Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 PM
fletcher0780
Advanced

Originally Posted by onboost
Dude I sent you a PM with my email regarding the seats.. haven't heard back.
???

Thx
I emailed you back on Friday at 5:15 PM, but I took a deposit on the seats yesterday. I'll let you know if it falls through.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 PM
FranzBlamRacing
Former Vendor

pm sent, fletcher.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:33 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fletcher0780
I emailed you back on Friday at 5:15 PM, but I took a deposit on the seats yesterday. I'll let you know if it falls through.

Never got an email nor PM from you.

Quick Reply: smoke on deceleration and occasionally on startup