911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Help and guidance 83-89 930 slantnose

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:22 AM
meiwah98
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Help and guidance 83-89 930 slantnose

I am in the market for a 930S. I have a 996, but I've always admired the 930S. Trying to read as many 930 forums as I can, however there is not too much information on major changes during the last 5 years of production (cosmetic or engine).

I read that the last year (1989) a 5 speed was offered (from a description of Andre Agassi's 1989 930S white cab for sale).

Between 83-89, are there any big differences I should know about? Or more importantly, any major negatives about those latter years?

Trying to ask as many 930S fans as I can....

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:09 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has been a few threads on this same subject, and a search might bring you more of what you might be looking for....biggest difference between 87-89 is going to the hydraulic clutch and five speed G50 tranny in lieu of the longer geared 4 speed manual clutch 930 tranny. The 930 tranny is pretty indestructable, but some guys don't like the loooong gears and stiffer manual clutch. A few other interior refinements, but nothing major....tranny is the biggie....and the reason most folks recommend the five speed 89.

Since I have a factory slant, and I believe that Agassi's car was a slant, I researched the numbers and found that the other issue is that the total production numbers for the factory slant went from a total of 195 in 87 to 271 in 88 and 143 in 99 with the most being coupes totalling 142; 145; and 60 for those respective years and cabs 42; 112; and 75. The most rare were the targas with production numbers under 10 for most of those years. The Targas are truly hard to find....but a lot of aftermarket slant kits were put on. Slants are something you either like or not....not much in between.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:39 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A search on this forum will yield a couple threads on persons wanting to buy slants also check on forums.pelicanparts.com under the 930 section there is some help there.

I would post links but being in Iraq my connection sucks and is super slow...I purchased a slant with factory parts put on in 1983 (car was a 1982 RoW) but since then I've ditched all for the 935 look as I didn't want to deal with Mazda headlight setups.

There are a few 930S registerys that are full of info, just be cautious on the headlight setups and the louvers in the fenders to tell fakes from originals.

Good look and a great choice for a dream car that delivers. I believe there are a few examples for sale in Rennlist Classifieds for around $60k that are the most impeccable examples.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

the factory ones are easy to tell. they have plastic fender liners in the front of the fender, lights are operated by one center mounted motor. the row version had an oil cooler in the front and the us version had the oil cooler in the passenger side rear fender vent. 89 went to a 5 speed. the factory box rockers all had a Jack point extension. some of the conversions did also but not many and I have heard that some of the early special wishes cars did not have the jack point extensions but do not know that for a fact.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
JFairman
Racer

Starting in '86, the year they resumed selling them in the USA again, the dash was upgraded or changed a little bit.
The tiny little useless side vents were enlarged to much larger square aimable vents and the center vent was enlarged and recontoured.
Not alot more air came out but it was an improvement. If you could get a bigger more powerful evaporator fan for the car it could be a huge improvement for cool air blowing on you in the summer.

Also it seems the vinyl/plastic used on the dashboards from '86 on is harder or just a different type that stands up to time and the heat from the sun because the earlier ones (unless garaged all the time) swelled up in an unpleasent looking way around the center AC vent.
I've never seen a picture of an '86 onwards car with the dash all swelled up around the center vent..

Since I live in the southeast where it's hot and humid most of the year I much prefer the larger (and betterlooking to me) AC vent arrangement of the '86 onward cars.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:02 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meiwah98
I am in the market for a 930S. I have a 996, but I've always admired the 930S. Trying to read as many 930 forums as I can, however there is not too much information on major changes during the last 5 years of production (cosmetic or engine).

I read that the last year (1989) a 5 speed was offered (from a description of Andre Agassi's 1989 930S white cab for sale).

Between 83-89, are there any big differences I should know about? Or more importantly, any major negatives about those latter years?

Trying to ask as many 930S fans as I can....

Thanks.
The Slantnoses built by Porsche from 1981-1986 were Special Wishes vehicles built at the Werke-I facility. When the Slant became an official option in Model Year '87, the Slants were built right on the assembly line with the official option codes 505 or 506. However, some of the slants were also moved over to the Werke-I facility for special treatments not available on the option list. The '87-'89 930S's used the standard 300BHP engines. They also had the oil cooler mounted in the right rear wheel vent. The early Special Wishes engines were higher output, but the mods were really all over the place. Mine had the standard IC, but had the K-27 turbo, twin tip exhaust, and SC cams, 911RSR front mounted oil cooler.

The U.K. had an official option in the early '80's called the 930SE, this car had the 930 4 speed, and a high output engine rated at 330BHP versus the standard 300BHP. The major differences were a more efficient IC, K-27 turbocharger and SC cams. These engines were very conservatively rated.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM
meiwah98
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the quick replies... that is why this board rocks....

Werk-1: thanks for that last bit about the 930SE. I was indeed questioning why I would see 330BHP cars vs. 300BHP cars. I was totally unaware about the Euro spec option. I think I read an ad in Hemmings, and that made me wonder what other specs I might be missing.

The 930S.com site is good, but does not go into detail about changes within the car, so I appreciate everyones input, also about the heavier clutch for the pre-87 (thanks Chuck).

While I can appreciate the '89 5-speed option, I see very few '89's listed for sale....sadly.

Thanks again to all for contributing.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by WERK-I
The Slantnoses built by Porsche from 1981-1986 were Special Wishes vehicles built at the Werke-I facility. When the Slant became an official option in Model Year '87, the Slants were built right on the assembly line with the official option codes 505 or 506. However, some of the slants were also moved over to the Werke-I facility for special treatments not available on the option list. The '87-'89 930S's used the standard 300BHP engines. They also had the oil cooler mounted in the right rear wheel vent. The early Special Wishes engines were higher output, but the mods were really all over the place. Mine had the standard IC, but had the K-27 turbo, twin tip exhaust, and SC cams, 911RSR front mounted oil cooler.

The U.K. had an official option in the early '80's called the 930SE, this car had the 930 4 speed, and a high output engine rated at 330BHP versus the standard 300BHP. The major differences were a more efficient IC, K-27 turbocharger and SC cams. These engines were very conservatively rated.
Werk-1 is spot on in his description...

meiwah98: Want to add that any Turbo you consider from 83-85 will be a Euro Spec (ROW) version. As JFairman noted, 930s were not officially sold in the US again until 86. I think the larger a/c vents he mentioned look nicer as well as perform better.

kens911: Not all the factory cars had the plastic fender liners in the front of the fender, nor the lights are operated by one center mounted motor, and as you stated, some of the early special wishes cars did not have the jack point extensions on the rockers.
Additonally with regard to the conversions.. note that some conversions such as the ones performed by Alan Johnson Racing used factorty parts as supplied direct by Porsche.

Good luck with the search!

Quick Reply: Help and guidance 83-89 930 slantnose