Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

walk me off the ledge

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:39 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default walk me off the ledge

So it has been a couple months since i got my 88 911 with 44,000 miles. it is a beautiful car, interior is like new. Runs like a top, does all the right things. A few minor issues...radio only plays sporadically, interior lights dont shut off when door is closed so they stay if off position all the time, etc. Nothing major.

I am wondering when my fun factor kicks in. I know it can be there, but I am so used to the newer versions (996 twin turbo x50, 944 turbo S, 996 cab, two Boxster, etc). I feel like when i drive this car something is going to happen. i am not really used to the air cooled technology and a 220 HP motor (or whatever the output is). I am not used to having a drip of oil show up here and there and not used to noises a 30 year car makes. Although my 944 turbo S was old, it was water-cooled and was a much beefier car to drive. felt more stable with its huge tires on the back, etc.

I know no one can answer this question for me...but did I buy the right car? Am i really going to start enjoying this car? I love it, don't get me wrong. It is the absolute quintessential 1980's Porsche. But I just haven't "fallen in love" with it yet. Maybe I need to trust the older technology and get out and drive the damn thing?!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:39 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Pic of my ride
Old 03-06-2017, 03:38 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

your car is too new and too heavy
Old 03-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You gotta love it for what it is. It isn't your new VW or your old VW or your old Audi....it's an old Porsche. If you love how insulated you are in the 996 then you are going to have a serious problem on your hands in an '88.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:22 PM
hastighet
1st Gear

I've obviously just registered for an account and am an infrequent visitor. I usually come for help or research and very seldom feel like I have enough experience to add to the conversation. /disclaimer

I do understand your question though. About six years ago I saw a car at the local cars and coffee and felt compelled to have one. The car in question was a pretty well known, at least around here, 69 E. So I set about finding one. I have been a Porsche fan from way back, childhood, but never had the opportunity to drive an air cooled. The first one I test drove was kind of a let down to be honest. It was not was I was expecting. I gave up for a little while, focused elsewhere. I did finally purchase one, very similar to yours. 87, low miles, stock. At first I was excited to have realized my dream, but I was still wary of the car. I didn't have that warm fuzzy like I do with new cars. This had been someone else's, and they had made some silly choices (stereo mostly) and overall it seemed a little basic. I think the best thing I've done, besides just drive the thing, is to connect with other air-cooled owners. I've done a few rallies, drives with the local PCA and DE's. And for me, there is something about the paired down feeling I get in that car. It makes my daily feel like a leather couch.

At first glance it feels slow, particular and analog. It's those things that give me the feeling of driving. It might not be for you, but give it some seat time and connect with other owners. I bet you'll feel differently down the road.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:14 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

for more fun, take it onto an iced over parking lot

then steer by mashing the throttle down, and by completely releasing it
Old 03-06-2017, 07:05 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

keep driving, do the twisty hilly roads, listen to the car, feel the car, keep the revs up, turn off the radio, for me these cars are raw, nimble and fully engaging... I am a former Boxster owner, love 'em, would like to get back in, but I won't give up my '87 Carrera nor will I give up my '89 951, I love the 951 as much as the 911. They are completely different rides both offering unique and high levels of enjoyment
Old 03-06-2017, 07:10 PM
no.radar
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Think of it more like a Spitfire (or ME109) than an F16

I missed my '88 911 so badly that after five years, I went out and bought its replacement: an '87 911. Both cars, like yours, Guards Red. The latest one shown here...

I may be crazy, but I cannot find much of anything to dislike about these cars. Everything from the smell of the exhaust, to the sound of the engine, to the occasional drop of oil on the garage floor, to the analog EVERYTHING just satisfies in a way today's Audis and even Porsches do not.

Honestly, I wouldn't trade the car for a current-year 911, and I'm not kidding.

Last edited by no.radar; 03-06-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-06-2017, 07:34 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Not sure I can be of much help but I have recently purchased my first air cooled 911; an '87 and it has been so much fun to drive. For sure, it's a much different drive than my 991 Targa but still fun for different reasons. In fact, I am thinking of taking it out more than on just weekends as originally intended.
I think the prior advice given here to just drive it often and esp on long twisty curvy roads is especially solid- that should cement it for you. If not then you can cross it off your list.
Drive it in good health!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

The first time I test drove my 1987 911 I was completely underwhelmed given everything I was expecting.

I guess my expectations were more in-line with everything I had read over the years in various car mags as a kid.

To be frank, the "new and improved" G50 transmission was very clunky (when compared to my old 240Z). It didn't have the rocket like performance I drooled over for all those years and the interior design was kind of dated, but what the heck... I bought it anyway.

Replacing the rubber on all fours and getting a proper alignment helped the feel but learning to drive it correctly with the help of some Porsche club instructors is where it really hit me.

Now I am no where near an expert on the track, but finessing it around a long sweeper or a hairpin and controlling the rear end simply with the throttle is an absolute blast.

Adding a Fabspeed single in/dual out sport exhaust and cat bypass really helps the overall experience since I found these cars much too quiet.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 PM
rwdenthusiast
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with EdwardB. After installing my exhaust, the fun came shortly after. Mine is not fast (compared to my other cars), but lowering the car to below euro height and adding the exhaust made a world of difference to the driving experience. I drive this car once a week and I love how different and more difficult it is to shift/steer/rev match, when comparing to my other cars.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

You could always take a hard left turn and transform it into something all your own....something that causes members of this forum to projectile vomit while simultaneously making grown men green with envy when they see it in person.
Attached Images        
Old 03-06-2017, 08:08 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Yeah I've got to admit, accelerating through a tunnel or next to a wall at 6000 rpm... pretty sweet.

My 2012 997 GTS is too quiet as well... Sharkwerks center muffler bypass siting in a box in my basement and going on as soon as it warms up.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:09 PM
74 911s
Intermediate

rev the engine higher. Higher than you think
Old 03-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by 74 911s
rev the engine higher. Higher than you think
Yep... They come alive at 5,000 RPM and go to sleep below 3,000