Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

walk me off the ledge

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:25 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

Personally I think you are nuts giving him cash plus your Cayman S for an SC . Don't get me wrong I love the SC . I have had mine for 10 years.

I am in Canada but everything is relative . Your car here is worth about 50K Canadian with low miles. There is no way I would get 50K for my SC .. plus you are giving him cash.

Maybe the economics are different where you live.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:28 AM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree. The first gen cayman S are a dime a dozen, gen 2 much harder to find and much more valuable. But, what really matters is what floats your boat. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Looking at what's for sale on CarGurus it looks like the average price for a 2009 is around 25k with very nice ones going for 30k. A nice SC will be 5-10k more than that price.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
These cars are great for the era. They are slow. But not really slow and get make their power up top. The 964 are a lot faster but feel a lot more modern due to the suspension design. Part of the charm is these don't feel like the new cars.

Do this, not a lot of $ and will seriously wake up the car, 100% reversible. These are the only mods my car has:
Turbo tie rods
Bilstein sport shocks
A proper alignment
Chip (I use Wong)
Cat delete and sport muffler

Trust me!
This is recipe ^^^^^^^
I carefully check over the rest of the suspension to make sure the 30 year old suspension bushings are still in decent shape. If there's any doubt on the bushings, replace them with rubber from Elephant Racing. If you end up doing the bushings, I would consider going up "one step" on the torsion bars as well. If this doesn't make the car call out to you, it might not be for you, but I suspect going over the suspension will make the car feel much better. I also consider setting at euro ride height part of a proper alignment.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

A suspension refresh can definitely take these cars from nice to wow!

I can also vouch for the elephant bushings, they are great.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Just saw that you decided to sell.... No harm there either. These cars are very unique, and there's no shame in wanting something different.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Personally I think you are nuts giving him cash plus your Cayman S for an SC . Don't get me wrong I love the SC . I have had mine for 10 years.

I am in Canada but everything is relative . Your car here is worth about 50K Canadian with low miles. There is no way I would get 50K for my SC .. plus you are giving him cash.

Maybe the economics are different where you live.
Hey, I'm not far from Canada - $50K Cdn? $37K US? The situations must indeed be quite different. Mine has high miles, though - 88,000 - but all from a woman with a long commute in SoCal. I'll have to look into this.

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Looking at what's for sale on CarGurus it looks like the average price for a 2009 is around 25k with very nice ones going for 30k. A nice SC will be 5-10k more than that price.
Yes, that's about the size of it. The Cayman is an extraordinary car. If someone goes looking for a 987.2 CS with PDK and without IMS, as I did, they won't find many (I did a fly and drive to SoCal for it - adventure!) The SC in question is a very good specimen. My friend got a good deal on it, so maybe I will, too. He's probably envious of the modernity of the Cayman, while I'm envious of the Adventure of a classic 911.

We'd be swapping bucket list items. We still have a bunch of snow to melt before we can do our test drives, so I have time for the homework I must do.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Viking644
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my 88 3.2 coupe about a year and 1/2 ago from a really cool owner in LA who babied her for the past decade. Ultimately she's a 3 owner car (4 now with me). Is she perfect? No. She's got 108,xxx miles on her and is just shy of 30 years old. Has a panel been repainted? Undoubtedly. Is she fun to carve canyons with? Absolutely. Is she a rocketship? 218 hp, no. But you either love the oil dripping, growling air-cooled engine and appreciate it for what it is, or you don't. I seriously considered a 997 and 991 when I was shopping for my first Porsche. I drove a buddy's 993 and I was hooked.

I retired last September and moved from California to East Tennessee (just outside of Knoxville). The roads here are mind boggling fun and the scenery is like out of a painting or vacation brochure.

Now owning a 30 year old performance car comes with the knowledge of impending bills for repairs. That being said, I'm saving my change in jars for the next engine out service that I was recently quoted around $7k for.

In the meantime, I'm having a blast with her and volunteering at a local fire department- I just wished she was the correct color now.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

here is the link . This is the cheaper one. there was another one more expensive

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/C...PO&orup=1_15_2
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Nice looking car, glad you are enjoying it.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:31 AM
rfloz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The Carrera is a car to wrestle with. In exchange you will come away winded, exhilarated, and probably laughing aloud . . . " From a 1984 3.2 road test in Car and Driver.

This is exactly how my '84 leaves me after a run. BTW, slower than a new car it may be, but with almost 400# deleted and fat R tires mounted, it is quite capable, especially in the twisties.

If your car doesn't do this for you, it is certainly time tp move on. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:59 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

When I purchased my 1988 911 Cab with 67,000 miles in Dec 2005 I took the following actions. I slowly went through it and got the little and big things working and then went on a progressive preventive maintenance schedule based on everything I have learned on this and the Pelican fora. Except for the last three years in Germany, it was my only daily driver vehicle. In the last 11 years I have registered an additional 76,000 miles. I have had two breakdowns in that time that were easy fixes.

I also own a 2008 Cayman and 2015 911 50th. Both of these cars outperform the 3.2 in every respect hands down. There is nothing the 3.2 does better...except that I enjoy driving it more than the other two because it has more "soul" and seems to invoke great excitement.

My advice, if you are concerned about the fun factor, learn everything you can about your car, learn to do at least the basic maintenance tasks (oil changes, tune ups, replacing switches (like your door jamb switches that aren't working, etc.) I keep extra window switches, DME Relay, and a full set of light bulbs for interior/exterior as well.

I have some persistent issues that make me scratch my head, but it is all part of the fun and pride owning a classic. I don't hesitate for a moment jumping in the car and going on a long drive across Europe. These cars are bulletproof with a little TLC.

Someone else mentioned to wind these cars up. They don't like low RPM. I don't upshift until 3000 RPM. Keep it below 4500 rpm until it is warmed up and then let her rip. I took coming to Germany to get used to red-line shifts and cruising at 5000 RPM. I have logged many hours in 5th gear at 6200 RPM and it is no drama for this car. It comes alive above 4500 RPM.

Finally, find a good mountain road and go there a lot. I have found a great 3.5 hour course in the Black Forest that I'm on a couple of times per month if in town. Here's a video. Nothing like 60 mph speed limits on mountain roads in Germany! Hope you enjoy!

Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

Where are the guardrails?

I hear you about "soul". My Cayman S is a perfect car. Drive it fast, then park it; there's not much challenge to it except avoiding a big ticket. But my 928 - it has lots of soul, mostly my own since I work on it a lot and know it intimately (see below). I expect the same relationship with my friend's SC if we make a deal.

Preventative maintenance, aka bonding with your old Porsche.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:10 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

tdrimer: I'm really curious about what was the decision process when you decided you were selling your modern Porsche to get an air-cooled Porsche. How did that shift take place? What did you hear, read, watch, etc. that flipped that switch in your head and said "I want an air-cooled vintage Porsche in my garage?"

I am super curious to know how that built up because it is likely happening to a lot of people, hence the big increase in demand on these cars. That said, I'm honestly surprised more people don't come to the same conclusion as you with regard to owning an antiquated vehicle. Perhaps they are just fighting back that feeling or don't want to talk about their judgement error.

There is a guy on the 964 forum who put a 964 in the garage to replace his modern Porsche and his wife told him to straight up get rid of it because there was no way a car with so many shortcomings (i.e. lack of simple modern conveniences) should cost what he paid.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:00 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
There is a guy on the 964 forum who put a 964 in the garage to replace his modern Porsche and his wife told him to straight up get rid of it because there was no way a car with so many shortcomings (i.e. lack of simple modern conveniences) should cost what he paid.
Divorce has some shortcomings, and is very costly, but it's oh so worth it in the right situation...... just sayin'

Quick Reply: walk me off the ledge