Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

When a clutch job turns bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 03:11 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Default When a clutch job goes overboard (while in there!)

Well not really. But since motor is out....

this is as disassembly happening, sorting and cleaning.
All metal goes in the sonic cleaner. All yellow metal will be re plated. New fan. Housing finished. Powder coat tins. Reinforce and coat engine carrier. All new fuel lines. All new vacuum and breather lines. Valve adjust, plugs, Etc etc. it's a long list.

I bought this car 2 years ago. It lived its life in San Diego. I'm owner #4 but first 2 kept car for all but 3 years.

Unfortunately I got no records with the car. Inspection by Black Forest showed it to be clean and well maintained. I baselined the maintenance when I got it, fixed a long list of small things. Leak down great, compression great, no leaks (and still none!!!) But this is a biggie, hoping this keeps me good for next few years :-)

Good news is no surprises as the bits have come off for plating or cleaning.

Was going to coat the valve covers but they look awesome after a session in the sonic cleaner.

When this job is done car will go to autobahn to address so,e wear on the drivers seat and a tear in the headliner.

Then the car is sorted. And I mean sorted. It will need nothing. 89k miles. Not for sale!!!

Last edited by Spyerx; 03-27-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what kind of hydraulic table is that?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:53 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Did you sonic clean yourself ? What solution did you use in the bath ? I have my own sonic cleaner
Old 02-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Did you sonic clean yourself ? What solution did you use in the bath ? I have my own sonic cleaner
Water. It's a very large commercial machine. Not sure settings or temps.
No shop is doing it. Unfortunately I don't have the time or space right now. We are mid house move.

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
what kind of hydraulic table is that?
Not sure. Shops.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:30 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Love that car.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

i loved doing mine. i am going to help my buddy do his as i enjoyed it so much.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who is this masked man ... Has a fleet of awesome Pcars, engine out, goes through a clean car to clean the clean spots and makes it look like child's play .... Has his own fleet of Indies on speed dial... must be nice to be you, meanwhile, I will go grab a wrench or fifty and get to work on my car... argh! Envy the dream your living RL needs to add a new emoji of "a person writing checks", I'll pose for the pic... :Nono:

You didn't mention Clutch issues or choices?

Can you recommend a plating shop?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I wish I had the time to do this level of service on my cars as it's therapeutic. I do the basics (Brakes, bleeds, oil changes, filters, lots of interior work, electrical debugging, etc). When I got the car, I did a very long list of maintenance and fixes myself. Unfortunately we're in middle of a move and starting a house remodel. It's been a long time since I've pulled a motor and want to get dirty. But time = $ in my world and its better sometimes to pay than do self.

But, car needs a clutch since I got it 2 years ago. The action grabs fine (no slip), but action is high and it's really notchy and was when I bought the car. Its gotten worse. So it's time to do it.

Cutch will be OEM. Since engine needs to come out (its just easier though I think you can just pull a G50 out) it'd be silly not to change all the rubber lines, fuel, breather hoses that are nearly 30 years old and clean things up a bit!

Plating isn't expensive. And yeah, some labor charge for some of the disassembly, but the intake and bits needed to come off for the gaskets and hoses to make that job easier.

I will need to find out who they are using for the plating, its at a suggestion of one of their suppliers who they use for suspension components.

Let me scare you. This is what I've done to date on the car (MYSELF!). I did pay for the alignment, bearing replacement in the front, the turbo tie rods, and the AC charging. I may be slightly OCD

6/13/2015 - 85,200 - Changed oil/filter, M1 15w-50, installed Steve Wong chip, cat bypass
6/20/2015 - 85,200 - New front/rear pads (Porterfield R4S), new rear rotors (Zimmerman), new rear brake caliper hardware, new front/rear brake lines, brake wear sensors tied back, full brake bleed ATE200 gold, inspected & cleaned calipers (seals, pistons, lines all good), new rears shocks installed Bilstein sport, new AC belt, new fan belt, new fuel filter, new air filter, new driver door seal, new wiper blades
6/27/2015 - 85,500 - Install new door pin covers, pulled pins switch and cleaned, new driver side (left) rear deck lid shock, installed a double Rear glass trim clip (seal trim shrinkage? not perfect but better than before), interior carpets cleaned / shampooed, new autozone platinum H6 AGM battery, installed battery terminal covers, detailed inside frunk, replaced driver side passenger window switch, pulled door panel and ‘unstuck’ passenger window after switch stuck, installed Bilstein Sport front inserts strut, re-bleed front brakes
7/17/2015 - 85,700 - Removed both rear axles to repair ripped boots, had axles pulled apart, cleaned, and regreased and new German boots installed. Cleaned hub and transmission flange. Installed axles with new transmission flange bolts and new axle nuts. Used nickel anti seize on axles.
7/18/2015 85,700 - Installed new cap (beru), rotor (Bosch), wires (beru), coil (Bosch), and plugs (ngk). Cap and rotor were work. Wires looked ok, but stiff plugs ok, but time to replace. Noted no odd plug issues. All looked similar with light carbon and good color. Bled clutch with ate200, color was very dark brown. Replaced transmission fluid with mobil1 delvac. Fluid looked ok and possibly recent change, very little material on magnet. Adjusted ac belt tension.
7/31/2015 86,000 - Front fenders rolled slightly to minimize rubbing, installed turbo tie rods, new steering rod boots, installed OEM sport engine mounts, installed new OEM sound mat, balanced front/rear wheels, new front bearings races seals Torco grease, align & adjust ride height (low!), underbody wheels off steam cleaning and engine cleaning.
8/10/2015 - 86,100 - new headlight bulbs philips extreme vision, replaced all ceramic fuses front/rear with new german ceramic and cleaned contacts
8/15/2015 - 86,300 - AC system tested, inspected, recharged with R12 (hoses are seeping, tested to 42 vent driving with 85 outside temp), got new key cut with new key head, repaired old keys with new emblems & bulbs/cleaned, replaced gasket on fuel level sending unit, replaced gas cap rubber gasket, installed new wiper arms (964 part #) covers washers, installed missing headlight bucket rubber drain, replaced missing lock washer on 1 headlight, installed new headlight rim gaskets, taped/covered up 2 misc live electrical connections in frunk, replaced AC front condenser fan fuse with 10a (was 15a), troubleshoot windshield washer motor (Cleaned contacts fixed tube tie. Looks replaced at some point. Weak. May need to be replaced), installed missing rear wheel valve brace, installed locking washers on front shocks (loctite on bolt), installed new passenger door seal, replaced 2 vent hoses on evap/breather system in frunk.
11/7/2015 - 88,200 - Install cocomats black/tan, Install new window felt left & right side (3 pieces, top of door), replace standard headlight washer pump, installed proper windshield wiper screw covers, replaced fuel filler rubber hose tank/neck (cracked), replaced fuel vent lines in frunk with german hose, replaced all light bulbs on exterior of car with new OEM OSRAM bulbs, cleaned all light housings and lenses, replaced AC evaporative fan relay with new relay with new blade fuse, replaced oil filler cap sealing ring, fixed loose plastic cover on driver seat, adjusted & lubed driver door latch mechanism, adjusted bowden cable (works great now), replace cracked door lock plastic cup drivers side, Fix door lock cylinder passenger side, replace door handle outer seals, Fixed driver side tweeter cracked plastic, replace passenger window motor with used take-off motor (works great).
11/25/2015 - 88,250 - Replaced power door lock rod 96453757100 link actuator to lock ball cup cracked on original, drivers side. Replaced both license plate lights, base, housing 91163162004, both had cracked. Replaced washer fluid reservoir cap under the fuel cap with new part. Fuel smell seems to be gone after replacing hosing in Frunk and the fuel filler rubber.
12/5/2015 - 88,300 —replaced ignition surround plastic - 9116131600170B, new fuel filler flap, new cone cover on fan bolt
2/28/2016 - 88,860 - oil and filter change Mobil 1 15w-50
4/3/2016 - 88,900 - fixed sunroof was not fully seating closed driver rear side due to rear guide bolt coming loose, fixed passenger seat switch slide back using contact cleaner
7/28/2016 - 89,400 - Failed smog check: replaced Bosch o2 sensor #13924 96560612601, checked for vacuum leaked smoke test (none found), found AFR mix at 13.5 target is 14.7, running too rich. Adjusted Airflow meter (drilled out adjusting screw) to get to proper AFR mix, adjusted idle to 880, new AF meter gasket 92811020101. Exhaust: new gaskets headers to cat/bypass, to muffler. Replace idle adjust cap. Car passed smog very clean.
1/9/2017 - 89,500 - Replaced speakers F/R with kicker 2way, wired to OEM wiring, bypass OEM crossovers, Replaced fuse on driver kick panel heater fan, fan operable ok, Replaced passenger side door check strap, Disassembled non working driver seat switch (f/r) polished and lubed connections, Lube passenger side kick panel fan, was making noise, found autoheat issue is a bad caloric sensor. Bypassed at control console to trick controller motor is hot to allow temperature variation. Car now has temperature variation while running. All other components of autoheat working fine. Installed passenger side seat mounted fire extinguisher, detailed/cleaned interior. Install new door check strap driver/passenger 96453705700. New pedal covers clutch/brake. Clip for driver side door check strap pin 99916600802 (was missing). Lubed check straps with silicone grease.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, now yer jus showing off... Nice record keeping ...
Old 02-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I have issues.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ really, i can hardly tell
Old 02-24-2017, 02:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Gearbox is out. Lsd required.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Haha. Has factory lsd. What would you suggest?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Haha. Has factory lsd. What would you suggest?
Replacing friction plates. I think there was something on pelican about changing the number or order or something
Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Call Marc Bixon at Redline Service (Peter Zimmermann's old place) about the correct tranny fluid and LSDA for your car. He transformed my car....well, he sold me the gear oil I used to transform my car....but I can't for the life of me remember what brand it was. He also recommended GM's LSD additive.

http://www.redlineservice.net/

Too funny....scroll to the last two pictures and it's obvious he sold me Kendall as I remember pumping it out of the giant drums myself.

Quick Reply: When a clutch job turns bad