Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 04:56 PM
a911s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering offers:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/dto_g...ehicle_id=6724

Randy Wells

Last edited by a911s; 01-26-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:36 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by a911s
Thanks, Randy.

Sent you a message.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Have it done yourself, it's a painful process at times and could be more expensive than buying a ready car, but the relation you'll build with a car you built to your own spec will be unique! Mine took almost 2 years, I would do it again for sure!!

Old 01-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^ THAT is sick!!!!!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:49 PM
ashunkcar86
7th Gear

One goody found at dsrleasing.com. They're great! New and up to date listings. And great deal!
Old 02-10-2017, 10:52 PM
mcKenzie86
7th Gear

Originally Posted by NickyP
Tex-
When I read your post a few days ago I wanted to jump right with some thoughts, but the question is so open ended and as discussed, there are just too many variables to take into account to arrive any definitive conclusion on ST pricing guidance. Like you, I wanted an ST tribute, but I did not want to buy an existing car, I wanted to participate in a build as I really enjoy the entire process from concept to finish.
Economically, a ground up bare metal, spare no expense restoration/build makes no sense. You will most likely be underwater, but who really cares if the journey and experience of the build are part of your car ownership enjoyment. I was fortunate to have Scott Longballa do all the metalwork, paint, suspension and brake work on my ST build. It took Scott and his guys about 14 months for their work and I am very pleased with the results. Scott’s knowledge of early 911’s and his attention to detail is extremely thorough. The net result is perfect panel fits and gaps, welding that replicates the factory way and the proper prep and steps for undercoating and paint. I also think that having Longballa do my car and the photo documentation that he provided will help should I ever decide to sell.
Obviously, the advantage of buying a finished project is the instant gratification of not waiting the 2-4 years it takes to complete a project and avoiding the uncertainty of what these things really cost to build. Suffice to say, it always takes longer and costs way more than you expect. Buying a car built by someone like Longballa comes with the comfort of knowing that things were done correctly. This also applies to your engine/transmission builder etc. In general, you get what you pay for and the price of admission isn’t cheap these days. I think you would be pretty lucky to find an ST that appeals to you aesthetically and mechanically built by some of the respected pros in our community. If you do, I’d pull the trigger. Here are a few photos of my ST.

The car is That's more than pretty baby
Old 02-10-2017, 10:54 PM
mcKenzie86
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ashunkcar86
One goody found at dsrleasing.com. They're great! New and up to date listings. And great deal!
For how much you've got that car from dsrleasing.com?
Old 02-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Racer

It's almost impossible to place a value on a tribute car. I can call anything a tribute.

I could say that my '73 is a tribute to the Orlando shooting victims. I could say that my Corvette is a tribute to the Bowling Green Massacre. How do you determine the value between the two different events?

After 2001 we go a host of Twin Tower tributes. They never increased in value.

Then we have the additional problem of quality. That is just all over the map.

It's easier to determine the value of a clone. A clone is either perfect of it's not. Actually if it's not a perfect reproduction then it's not a clone. It's just one more fake.

Richard Newton
Is FIA Certification Worth It?
Old 02-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Not really and ST but this car sold in a flash

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tlaw-sale.html

Quick Reply: Porsche ST Tribute Pricing