Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking to buy a hot rod early 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
It's very much controlled, but there is enough to make you go "hmm". I would imagine that without limited slip, the car would have spun like a top, but the left/ right action of the rear of the car makes me think that the computer is applying opposite brake and then self-correcting. I'm just holding the steering wheel straight and not trying to correct.
PASM electronically controls the damper system.

Assume you also PSM, Porsche Stability Management.

If you have a LSD you also have PTV on the Cayman.

PTV provides Variable torque distribution through controlled braking on the rear wheels.

Mechanically controlled differential lock (or LSD) with asymmetrical locking action (22% in traction, 27% in overrun note these figures may be year of manufacture dependent) for increased agility, steering precision, traction, and vehicle stability.

As to how all the systems interact in real time, there are as many answers to that as there are scenarios. My own experience is PTV does not kick in unless your driving very hard or the road surface has gravel (or something similar) when going through a curve. You can go over to the 987/981 Forum and search PTV, or PSM, lots of threads to read through.

Sorry to the OP, we drifted way off from looking for an early hot rod...back to the search.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:40 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

My only guess is that two different effector mechanisms (either mechanical or electronic) are fighting each other, or that there is some lag time in the sensors vs. the effectors' actions being realized (and it repeats in a cycle).

I had a 2000 Boxster S for a while but the newer cars are so complicated now it is hard to figure out just what is going on. The dealer might not know either but could contact the factory for more info.

Maybe just to hold on like you are doing and let it scrabble for traction.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
PASM electronically controls the damper system.

Assume you also PSM, Porsche Stability Management.

If you have a LSD you also have PTV on the Cayman.

PTV provides Variable torque distribution through controlled braking on the rear wheels.

Mechanically controlled differential lock (or LSD) with asymmetrical locking action (22% in traction, 27% in overrun note these figures may be year of manufacture dependent) for increased agility, steering precision, traction, and vehicle stability.

As to how all the systems interact in real time, there are as many answers to that as there are scenarios. My own experience is PTV does not kick in unless your driving very hard or the road surface has gravel (or something similar) when going through a curve. You can go over to the 987/981 Forum and search PTV, or PSM, lots of threads to read through.

Sorry to the OP, we drifted way off from looking for an early hot rod...back to the search.
I think you are onto something regarding the assymetrical nature of the differential. The certificate that came with the car lists "ABD" Automatic Brake Differential, and "ASR" Anti Slip Regulation. On surfaces with high grip, if I get the car spinning the rear wheels going straight, the car will judder so hard it's difficult to see out of the front window.

I also believe, as I have posted earlier, that the 987.2 is in a window where it is a real bona fide alternative to the earlier 911s that have been modfied to increase performance (or "hot rod" 911s). I see someone in their 40s or 50s especially preferring to opt for a middie Cayman.

Originally Posted by r911
My only guess is that two different effector mechanisms (either mechanical or electronic) are fighting each other, or that there is some lag time in the sensors vs. the effectors' actions being realized (and it repeats in a cycle).

I had a 2000 Boxster S for a while but the newer cars are so complicated now it is hard to figure out just what is going on. The dealer might not know either but could contact the factory for more info.

Maybe just to hold on like you are doing and let it scrabble for traction.
As you say, it is so complicated I think only us Porsche forum nerds can figure it out.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:42 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the PMs thus far. Again, cabs and targas are great but I am ONLY looking at coupes. Purely personal preference.

As an example of what I am looking for, below is a car I missed out on. It wasn't perfect, and I would have changed some of the modern interior components out, but its an '82 SC with 3.2L carbed engine and some other goodies. Color is loud but works with the build.

https://euroclassics.porschedealer.c...+Orange+981543

Thanks again
Old 01-22-2017, 07:15 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

so, Look = bright but purposeful (?) bright = Tangerine; purposeful = black wheels

considering your sig. I assume you know the type of driving you want to do with this car, but tell the rest of us
Old 01-22-2017, 07:18 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

"someone in their 40s or 50s" - say it ain't so! I'm well beyond that and flirted with the Boxster (if you buy a cab it should be fairly new) but despite its competence I prefer a hot rod 911 for blue hwys, twisties, etc. -- just more fun to drive an automotive anachronism

I expect to be in a newer, modern car for fun when I hit 70, or 80
By then, it may correct yaw on slippery surfaces by having the AI system deploy slimy & sticky outrigger pseudopods...
Old 01-22-2017, 07:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

^ Well, forgive me. But the car is not the only thing that's anachronistic.

If you're on the shady side of the ol' "sell by" date of your automotive adventure, then I dare say a hot rod 911 may not be the best tool for you, regardless of the watered down nature of one that's only $40K in price.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:19 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^ English please
Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Originally Posted by rusnak
^ Well, forgive me. But the car is not the only thing that's anachronistic.

If you're on the shady side of the ol' "sell by" date of your automotive adventure, then I dare say a hot rod 911 may not be the best tool for you, regardless of the watered down nature of one that's only $40K in price.
not on Medicare yet tho it is harder to crawl underneath

still fun to drive & I do my own maintenance & upgrades

BTW, "automotive anachronism" was a line in a cartoon that used to run in Rod & Truck magazine when it was still worth reading
Old 01-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Justin@Euroclassics
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bergx7
Thanks for the PMs thus far. Again, cabs and targas are great but I am ONLY looking at coupes. Purely personal preference.

As an example of what I am looking for, below is a car I missed out on. It wasn't perfect, and I would have changed some of the modern interior components out, but its an '82 SC with 3.2L carbed engine and some other goodies. Color is loud but works with the build.

https://euroclassics.porschedealer.c...+Orange+981543

Thanks again

Lucky for you I just got another one about 5 min ago. Not as crazy as the orange 82 but its very cool. Give me a ring 804 837 7613
Old 01-23-2017, 10:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r911
not on Medicare yet tho it is harder to crawl underneath

still fun to drive & I do my own maintenance & upgrades

BTW, "automotive anachronism" was a line in a cartoon that used to run in Rod & Truck magazine when it was still worth reading
I have a 1970 914-6 with two triple choke Weber IDTs, a CIS 911, a 3.2 911 with Motronic, and a '11 Cayman S.

What I can tell you is that if you really want to work on your 911, the easiest now by far is the 3.2. The reason is that the carburetors are becoming harder to maintain, the parts are NLA, and the distributors are also becoming NLA. My stock 914-6 distributor is so valuable, I have to just keep it in a box on the shelf. The 3.2, all you need is a digital multimeter and a few hand tools. The CIS scares me too much, and the '11 9A1 motor - no thanks. Fantastic engine, but about as much fun as a Ford F-series motor to work on.

The 911 is at it's best as a GT car in my own opinion. If you want a great car for in town short hops, and want gut ripping cornering and stopping ability (we are talking slap your *** and call you "Nancy" handling and agility), then by far the best Porsche that I have ever driven for that was the 914-6 on 185 Yokohama AVS Intermediate tires, 6" wheels, 911SC front suspension, and sport Bilsteins with super lowered and heavy springs in the rear.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:20 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

I'm a CIS hater, as it happens I swapped in a 3.2L on mine, sold the DME and went full cave man with PMO carbs

I had 3 Porsches at one time (two 911s and a Boxster S -- plus a Benzmobile) but am trying to simplify and am now down to just one -- I should cut the number of skis I have in half too, then I'd just have 6 pair...

Hard to beat a 914-6 ... or a rufster either

but.. back to the OP:

he has a GT3 already and a Cayenne, so my guess is he wants a more elemental ride for other uses than those two
Old 01-25-2017, 02:18 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

For what it's worth , like anything these days you get what you pay for and it's crazy how the prices of well sorted air cooled cars has skyrocketed ...

Against my better judgement i sort of Frankensteined my 89 Coupe 5-6 years ago by transforming it into "MY" very well sorted DE car and now it's returning to street duty and at one point i almost regretted swapping a tired 3.2 for a fresh 95 3.6, anyhow i managed to get into it for close to 60K after doing all the work myself.
What is refreshing to see is that there is a market for well done Franken driver cars !

Berg, i'm sure the right car will come up somewhere !
Old 01-27-2017, 02:51 PM
a911s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering offers:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/dto_g...ehicle_id=6724

Randy Wells
Old 01-31-2017, 06:16 AM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

71 S,full cage,2.4,twin plug,stainless, fire supp.spotless.Former LMGT driver,60,s70,s........Targa Florio,Mille Miglia,the whole deal.Webers,spares.the real thing.$40k,maybe less.Lindbergh Motorsports,St. Charles,Mo.Was there last I looked.Ask for Klaus

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a hot rod early 911