Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Member Intro 86' 911 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:40 AM
911GA
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Intro 86' 911 Coupe

I originally started looking at 70s and 80s 911's back in 2006 when they were $14k, but ended up restoring an older muscle car instead. Unfortunately for guys like me that wanted to find a Porsche 911 in 2012 the prices had gone up dramatically; even 911s in rough shape were going for $25k.

After exhausting all resources I managed to locate a 911 in the Atlanta area. It was in excellent shape, but had higher mileage. I think around 260k when I bought it, but came with a stack of paperwork that included a full R&R on the 3.2 liter back in the early 2000s.

Over the past few years I have taken car of numerous, small issues.

First off I went through the mechanical stuff. Initially there was a lot of oil build up on the underside, but after a thorough cleaning it was a tiny seep that to this day is still fine. I'm guessing the previous owner never cleaned it for years.

I got a new Mahle filter, Valvoline VR-1 20w50, replaced the air filter, spark plugs, etc. I still need to do the wires.

I ordered a Bursche cat bypass and put a fresh 02 sensor in it; shortly after I got a Steve Wong chip. Initially I had the air mixture off a bit, but was able to follow Steve's instructions, utilizing a jumper wire, to get it set just right.

The chip is an absolute must for anyone that hasn't done it yet. My RPMs are smooth as glass and low end acceleration is crazy.

When in Atlanta I shifted into second and my shifter went limp. I was able to coast into a Sam's parking lot, buy some cheap tools, and glue the shifter rod ball socket together which enable me to drive home. The previous owner had put in a short throw shifter, but didn't not change the factory bushings; the shift rod bushing was long gone. I ordered new bushings and readjusted the shifter which improved shifting quite a bit.

Next I changed the tranny fluid to Sweptco 201. I drove it a few miles and then had to take off for some business travel. When I returned it seemed to shift better into 2nd gear, so I'm happy with this mod.

I normally only drive the 911 on nice days and it's always garaged, but one summer I got hit with a crazy Georgia rain storm overnight while in Atlanta. When I came out my 911 was flooded! I pulled the ECM and let it dry, cleaned all the water out, and it ran perfect after....wheeeeeewh... Clearly it was something I needed to figure out.

It turns out my sunroof drain had a perfect diameter screw in the tube. I am guessing someone did some sunroof repairs years ago and it clogged the tube. I did manage to rip my headliner in the process, but it was old and dry. Good news is no more leaks!

Next issue was when I developed a relay buzz when using my left turn signal. I replaced the turn signal relay, but no luck. I cleaned all the grounds, replaced front turn signal housings and lenses, replaced rear lenses while I was tearing everything apart. Still no joy. I ended up having a friend look at it and there a was a broken wire behind the hazard switch. With that fixed everything was good.

Next issue was the headlight switch. High beams never worked, so after replacing that I finally had high beams! I left feeling all proud only to be pulled over by Georgia State Patrol for having no tail lights. Turns out that tiny fuse blew up in the front truck area. Believe it or not Walmart had one so I was able to fix it that night.

It's been a great car. I finally have it to where all the little things are fixed.
I have new WEVO sway bar mounts on the way, a momo prototipo steering wheel, and some ESCO jack stands.

Looking at redoing the interior next and would love some input. I need to do the headliner, seats, and suspension. It's black on black now, but I'm thinking about going with natural leather.

I'm sure I left some stuff out, but I'll post more as I think of it.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:19 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Great story! You illustrate well the fact that these cars are relatively simple to fix and ultimately very reliable.

The natural leather idea is attractive. Take a look at the neat ventilated seats that Singer uses on their cars. I would also be tempted to consider the older 911 style seats with pepita inserts.

Keep us posted!
The following users liked this post:
911GA (05-17-2023)
Old 01-14-2017, 08:34 AM
911GA
Cruisin'

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, there are a lot of simple fixes that allow you to enjoy your car more while increasing its value at the same time. The sense of accomplishment is also the reason I enjoy turning my own wrenches and saving all the money on labor lets me buy more stuff.

I'll check out your ideas on Singer and older style seats.

What accents or trim do you think I would need to tie everything together if I went with a natural leather color? I think if I keep the dash black I could probably get away with doing the headliner and visors in the same color as the seats while leaving everything else black.... not sure. I've been looking at other cars for a while to get ideas.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:37 AM
911GA
Cruisin'

After looking at the Singer stuff just now it looks like they did carpet, seats, door panels in the same color and added a few dash accents. I do like those seats, but I like the stock style too.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:26 PM
rs_t
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Love the BBS wheels.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:31 PM
911GA
Cruisin'

Thanks, they really go well with black in my opinion. Nice looking ride in your profile pic by the way.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 AM
911GA
Cruisin'

So I've been crazy busy, but here's a quick update:

I changed the stock steering wheel to a black momo prototipo (looks great and while it does block the speedo a little I don't mind it at all).

I had a friend's shop weld in my new WEVO sway bar mounts

I noticed a little be of a fluctuating idle upon start up that levels out within 10 seconds; I think I need to clean the ICV. Any input would be great.

Other than that I'm looking at swapping all my a/c lines and possibly putting some Rennline accessories (floor panels, etc)

I'll see if I can find a pic of the steering wheel installed.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 PM
crixer
Rennlist Member

Nice ride! Where are you in the ATL? I am out in Covington down 20.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:38 AM
911GA
Cruisin'

@crixer

I just closed out my place in Buckhead and am now bouncing back and forth between Northeast Ga (Helen area) and Virginia.

Thanks for the compliment. I need to try to get some new photos up.

I joined PCA, but have yet to find time to meet up. Do you ever attend any of those events?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

PCA Potomac in the Va-Md-DC area is a very fun group. I attend all their DEs and many other social events. A local website worth checking out is dorkiphus.net. Lots of good tech advice.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 AM
911GA
Cruisin'

Thanks! Good info. I don't have a garage and I'm on there part time so I have been contemplating picking up a 928 or 944 as a driver. I needed a reason haha
Old 04-20-2017, 04:32 PM
oprevot
Advanced

I own a 1986 Carrera as well and I love it. Like you, I had to go through some stuff after I bought it, it had been sitting in storage for a while and showed 145,000 miles on the odometer. It took me about a year to get were I wanted it, it's been a blast since then! I agree, the Steve Wong chip is a must.
I own 3 aircooled Porsche, and I actually daily drive the 1986 most of the time.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:08 AM
911GA
Cruisin'

I am very happy with my 86' as well. The transmission could be better, but it's not bad at all. Everyone says the G50 is so great and the 915 sucks, but honestly I don't mind my 915. As long as the RPM's are right shifting is great. The 3.2 wasn't meant to be a fast off the line car anyway, so I never really tear off in it till I'm in 3rd. (those times I have to rip out and gun it to beat a never ending line of traffic are the exception).

The guy I bought my 911 from was daily driving it, but I don't think he had any mechanical knowledge. I have lots of receipts

The 911 has been a little bit of a learning curve. For example, I now know to change the air filter when I change the oil haha. Initially I was wondering how in the world do you get to the back clamps! It's different, but mechanically simple.

I'd have to say I was in the same boat as you Oprevot. It took about 1-2 years to work out all the bugs, but now I'm beyond happy and what an investment!
Old 01-15-2022, 02:57 AM
NikosLee
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

@crixer can you recommend someone for a PPI for a 996? Pref in Covington.
Old 10-31-2023, 03:01 PM
crixer
Rennlist Member

I am so sorry I missed this. I could have gone to check it out. Also use MVP for my water cooled Porsches when I don't feel like doing the work.

Quick Reply: New Member Intro 86' 911 Coupe