Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 performance

Old 01-10-2017, 01:43 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stlrj
The easiest most cost effective way I found to wake up my 87 Carrera was to replace the old fashioned single hole injectors with the new style EV6 4 hole Bosch injectors like the ones on the 996 engines. Now I understand why these modern water cooled 911s are so quick and responsive.

Another reason I prefer this solution is to keep it smog legal and invisible.

Cheers,

Joe
What is the part number? Same fuel pressure, and did you check with a wideband O2 sensor to see if it's still operating at lambda +/- 1.02?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:04 PM
stlrj
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
What is the part number? Same fuel pressure, and did you check with a wideband O2 sensor to see if it's still operating at lambda +/- 1.02?
Bosch PN 0-280-155-784 (same flow rate as stock and I've tried a bunch) seems to be a perfect drop in with no modifications to fuel pressure. I'm still using the stock 02 sensor...nothing fancy and it easily passes smog.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by stlrj; 01-10-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Engage a procoach to provide coaching, let him drive the car, compare your lap times with the coach's lap times. If the delta is small, consider upgrades; otherwise, invest more $$$ in procoaching until the delta is small.
As a scientist, I really like this response. Opinions and suggestions can be helpful, but a carefully aimed experiment with quantitative results is tough to argue with.

And (opinion warning) I would be reluctant to modify an engine as nice as the one you've already got, especially since the performance improvements are "known" to be limited. Exhaust, chip, injectors, no problem. But beyond that, it does not sound like you're starting out with a project car ripe for major surgery.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a good friend in the fuel injector business who cleaned and balanced my injectors within 1% of each other who was so impressed with the nozzle pattern that we gave up looking for 4 nozzle alternatives. I'd love to find injectors that were 4 nozzle that would run at the low impedance of yesteryear.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 PM
stlrj
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
I have a good friend in the fuel injector business who cleaned and balanced my injectors within 1% of each other who was so impressed with the nozzle pattern that we gave up looking for 4 nozzle alternatives. I'd love to find injectors that were 4 nozzle that would run at the low impedance of yesteryear.
Even though high impedance they have a higher response rate than the earlier low impedance EV1 injectors.

This might be of interest too:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=92236
Old 01-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

So is the injector listed above the one to get?

We made a similar injector switch in my Ford E350 and along with new lifters and high output coilpacks turned a tired old modular engine into a monster that is stronger than it was new, some 15 years ago.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 PM
stlrj
Instructor

...784 is the one I am using.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

...784 is the one I am using.
Does it require a jumper or adapter or is the electrical plug and play?

Will have to ask my buddy Gonzo if he's got 'em...

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/5949868038.html

OK, Gonzo is on it and will get back to me in the morning. He thinks he has them but he's at home at this hour. He questions the plug though. Will see....
Old 01-11-2017, 08:42 AM
stlrj
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Does it require a jumper or adapter or is the electrical plug and play?

Will have to ask my buddy Gonzo if he's got 'em...

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/5949868038.html

OK, Gonzo is on it and will get back to me in the morning. He thinks he has them but he's at home at this hour. He questions the plug though. Will see....
EV6 to EV1 USCAR adapters are required.

Last edited by stlrj; 01-11-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

EV6 to EV1 USCAR adapters are required.
Ok, Gonzo said he would check in the morning for stock and loan me a full set of injectors and adaptors so I could run them on the butt dyno before I shelled out any money.

He said he also has a 703 that looks to be a direct fit and flow match. Interesting stuff.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Do You really NEED more power or do You just WANT it?!
Fit a sports exhaust and lose a few inches around Your waist if possible, that will make a huge difference!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Hope I'm not confusing the issue, but this is a thread at that 'other' forum about a 4 hole injectors that also uses/requires a different chip, which are said to be matched accordingly for better overall performance. Very interested in this topic:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...l-carrera.html
Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
Do You really NEED more power or do You just WANT it?!
What's the difference?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Adams
Hope I'm not confusing the issue, but this is a thread at that 'other' forum about a 4 hole injectors that also uses/requires a different chip, which are said to be matched accordingly for better overall performance. Very interested in this topic:

I'm going to email Steve Wong about his thoughts on it. I have his chip and am very happy with it. Wonder if he has reprogrammed his chips for different injector styles.

If I were to go down the modernized injector route, I would want it to be plug 'n play and not REQUIRE a chip reprogram. If Steve can reprogram my existing chip to better make use of a modern injector, that's awesome. But telling me I HAVE to reprogram with HIS setup turns me away from the product in the posted link.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Adams

Not to disrespect Sal, but injectors are easily pulled from a junkyard for about $4.50 EA. When I did my van the first time I pulled injectors from several other 5.4L at Pick-A-Part and had Gonzo put together the 8 that were all within 2% of each other.

A word on simply cleaning your stock injectors. Sure, run Techron, but you may need more. I had mine cleaned and wow what a change across the entire map. My gas milage dropped significantly (in other words they were seriously clogged), my opporating temp dropped noticably, and my throttle response is crisp and instantaneous. It's a must do on 30 year old injectors.

.....And I have a Multi-board chip with four map choices so I'll play with the maps I have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.2 performance