Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How mad would you be? .. recent purchase experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I feel for you. The truth is that fraud is everywhere in this hobby. Believe nothing, trust nobody. Now time to name the POS dealer.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:30 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy the car... sounds like it runs well...

If you try to fix every little thing on the car it will drive you bonkers and cost lots of money.

These cars all leak some. I resealed my motor (didnt split the case) and within a couple years had small leaks... Is what it is...

Whats puzzling, is that you said the receipts clearly showed the leak down results, but you didn't look at them prior to purchase? Doesn't sound like the dealer hid that from you?

If you wanted to, you could repeat the leak down now. May make you feel better, as the numbers MAY have improved. If the car sat a long time, carbon build up may have thrown them off...

On the flip side, if I were you, I would just drive it and enjoy it...
Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I feel your pain. But it sounds like you still got a great car. Any car this age is going to have issues. Just create your list of projects and work through them and the car will be prefect. As for paint work, I am more concerned paint work was done correctly, than done at all. I look for for crappy prep work, painted seals, harnesses, tape lines, etc. If done right, not an issue. My thoughts on engines of this age, unless they represent it was just rebuilt, is drive it until it stops or until you are ready to pull it have it rebuilt or freshened-up.
As for the dealership, I assume they are always hiding the ball and it is up to me to see through their BS. Good luck and enjoy that beauty. Cheers.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:09 AM
bpu699

How many miles on this car? For some reason I thought it was 80k or so?

Most 930's need some head work at 50-60k... a modified one probably needs it more.

If this were a 30k mile car, I might be surprised with that leakdown... if its higher mileage, and modified, than its less unusual...
Old 01-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer really screwed up. You should never have gotten any of the described paperwork.

Most of your issues stem from that paperwork. A really good dealer will make sure no records exist. That's why CarFax exists.

The irony of CarFax is that dealers are the biggest customers. That's because people constantly lie about their trade ins. Everyone involved in the transaction lies. You didn't know that?

Richard
Old 01-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Thanks for all the info, words of wisdom, condolences, etc. It's an '86 with 81K miles. All the paint work actually looks really good except for the hood- looks like a couple of spots of bad prep that are orange peeling. I'll probably get it fully repainted to address the small dents anyway.

The leak down numbers were hand written, in the margins, on one of the receipts. I just didn't look at it close enough when I had a chance. I had 4 people leaning over me complaining that they wanted to go to lunch. It was like a bad movie. One of the many lessons learned as I get in the air cooled era. I'll be fully prepared for my next one.....

I would absolutely never buy from this dealer though for many reasons. If anybody really cares you can PM me but I'll hold off on publicly flaming them. The reality is- they lied, I bought it- shame on me.

Yet another reason why I prefer buying from individuals rather than dealers. All of my private sales have gone great. I have to remember that not everybody has the same level of integrity that I try to maintain when selling a car.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:39 PM
bpu699

Dealers, like private parties, will point out the positive and downplay the negative... Caveat Emptor...

That said, I suspect most dealers don't know if a car was repainted, or what the leak down is, or if a car is problem free...

They probably got it as a trade in, and looked at it to whatever minimal extent was necessary... For them its a business, not personal.

Cant say I have ever seen a private sale ad that pointed out all known negatives with a car... Can you imagine the ad?...

To whit, have you ever seen the following ad?:

My car is running poorly, figured I would sell before it broke completely. Must baby it in every gear. Leaks oil, wife is mad. Added a bunch of stop leak yesterday, hopefully doesn't clog the cams. I will douse the motor in degreaser before you see it, so it should look pretty good. Misifres, occasionally wont start. Power seems down. Has over 14 little scratches, dents, and paint seems uneven. I touched it up with rustoleum, but you can tell. Rust found in undercarriage, hidden by rubber spray - I peeled it all back so you can see it. Pretty sure the car was hit - no proof, just a feeling. Buddy also once barfed in the car. There was a mouse nest, but they only ate some of the wiring. Dealer low balled me on trade in, so I hope you buy it..."

Old 01-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Ha- that could probably describe the reality of half the older cars on the market- love it. I'm just a firm believer that if I don't know something for sure I stipulate that fact. I 'think' it's original paint or, it runs like it's been rebuilt. I surely don't state anything as factual unless I can back it up. But, that's just me and probably why I've never had a ticked off buyer. I still stay in touch with most of the guys that have bought my cars.

Now when I go to sell this car it may be a different story...... Nope, even then I'll be transparent. Heck, i put it on here so it will live forever in infamy.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Trakrat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So was this a reputable dealer? Or just a used car dealer?
I'd be upset if this transaction happened with a Porsche dealership.
But for a dealer who buys and sells used classics and sports cars... this sounds like a typical experience.

The way I see it is, you bought the car you wanted for the price you wanted. Had you passed on this deal, it would have eaten at you for years later. Especially if you watched the prices creep back up again.
However, if you paid a premium for the car... then the only person to be upset with is yourself.

Nonetheless, you own a 930 Turbo.... A 930 TURBO!!! As long as the numbers match, and everything is original or can be brought back to original, then you are one lucky owner!
Old 01-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Just a used car dealer. They sell a lot of Porsche's, though.

I'm slowly going to accumulate a lot of the spares to take it back to original if somebody wants to at some point. I have a 5-speed trans conversion so that is going to stay as-is.

It's all good. I vented and now I'm ready to move on. I'm just hoping my mechanic comes back to me with good news in the next few days.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:05 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one beautiful 930, drive it in good health and enjoy!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Antny930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully you bought it for a great price so you can invest in whatever it needs to make it "right" and not be hurt financially when you eventually sell it. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy it! These are terrific cars to play with.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Well, just talked to my mechanic and the leak is about as bad as can be- lower seal, need to split the cases. Looks like an engine rebuild is in my near future. The labor is going to be the same so I'm going to do everything that I should while it's open- head studs, etc etc

Is there any recourse for a completely horrible PPI? He told me the leak was from the 'front seal' and it was a 1,500 repair.

I assume without showing willful intent there isn't.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:26 PM
bpu699

Do yourself a favor. Put in fresh Dino 20/50 vr1 and drive it for a year...

I think you are tormenting your self. I have owned a ton of air cooled Porsches and they all seep. Given enough time, you get drops on the floor.

Just drive the thing. Put some cardboard under the car. Enjoy it.

There is always something to fix on these cars. Always.

Drive it. Stop thinking about rebuilds. The Dino oil may seal some issues also.

Go... Drive...
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Cbwell
Pro

One drop per 4 seconds is a bit more than a simple drip though I think. My mechanic was even a little impressed. I'm definitely not expecting a completely leak free engine but this is crazy. I had a puddle after being gone for one week.

Thanks for the info on the oil- I've been wondering what I should run.

Quick Reply: How mad would you be? .. recent purchase experience