Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1/4 model Flat 6

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing that bothers me about those kits is that the cam and ignition timing will never quite line up right. I played with a 4-cyl model and I had to spend a couple of hours picking and choosing cam lobes to get it as close to proper as possible.

That's the sort of little detail that will drive me nuts. Is this model any better? My engine's being disassembled right now for head studs and I want a motor to play with.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello jorijori, yes it can be disassembled and put back together. I am hoping you have the manual as guidance since your son is still young. It would help him rebuild it properly if you have the manual. If not I suppose you can guide him. It is a "fun" model to have for the kids who are inclined in "Engineering."

Originally Posted by jorijori
@GT3RS-Fan1

Thanks for posting the picture, can it be dis-assembled? I want my son to re-assemble it back when he is old enough to get him interested in mechanical engineering.
Hello Dave Inc., yes I feel your pain trying to line up properly the intake and exhaust valves. I attribute that due to soft springs and the lobes of the cams are plastic so consistency can be a challenge. My biggest challenge however in this model is the timing belt (two total, one on each bank) after awhile of running it, the belts have a tendency to jump out. The pulleys provided are plastic with very little rail guides. I will have to do some fabrication to prevent the belts from jumping out. It is a cool model and will challenge you to "Improve the Process."

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Dave Inc.
The thing that bothers me about those kits is that the cam and ignition timing will never quite line up right. I played with a 4-cyl model and I had to spend a couple of hours picking and choosing cam lobes to get it as close to proper as possible.

That's the sort of little detail that will drive me nuts. Is this model any better? My engine's being disassembled right now for head studs and I want a motor to play with.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:48 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it's official I'm a horrible engine builder....I can't even get the cam lobes correctly positioned on shafts?? Despite one side being correctly positioned on the shafts the lobes don't slide on because the holes are too small? I'm horrible I'm going to send mine to Gamroth to get mine put together properly.....and maybe some nice mods while it's there lol

Quick Reply: 1/4 model Flat 6