Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:17 PM
pstallo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 86 cab for $25K about 4 years ago and I think that was a pretty average price. I would guess they go for about $35K now.

I would think that an 87 or higher would cost a little more because of the G50 transmission, but I don't know how much difference it would make.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:27 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Ahnold told me the G-50 was made for girlie-men who can't drive a real gearbox with Porsche type syncros

then I found an old letter from Ahnold's Grandpa saying the same thing about all synchronizers
Old 12-21-2016, 02:24 AM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought this SC for 14 grand, and included a 2007 mini cooper to close the deal. This particular SC was not perfect, however, it had a recent rebuild and some extra goodies that i would have eventually wanted on the car. There are plenty of good cars that pop up from time to time. Like everyone else says, "be patient and have the money ready, and the right one will come along."
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2016, 10:33 AM
crixer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled out my 101 projects book last night and really thought about it. I think I am going to bite the bullet at the end of Feb and start the search for the guards red 84 coupe that I have always wanted. This is for the long haul, most likely it will be sold after I am dead (hopefully in 40 years). I want the 84 because it is SC like but has the motronic injection. I am going to just say screw it and budget up to 45k. If I ever need a daily driver again, I will buy another used Honda.

My xwife pitched a fit about buying a '65 911 back in 03 that I found nearby for 6500 bucks....There was a 912 for 4k.... Notice I said X! I guess I will be telling my grandchildren about those prices.

My 1989 coupe... god rest her soul.... taken from this earth by an idiot 16 year old that hit me head on in 2003.
crixer's 1989
Old 12-21-2016, 01:46 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ You will love the Motronic system. It's still surprising to me how good these cars are, even when comparing to current Porsches.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:19 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Price (aircooled 911) so much depends on the car- coupe vs targa vs cabrio and SC vs 3.2 vs G50.
Comments about bubble have been discussed for the last 5 years, and especially the prices of mostly stock 911s keep rising.
As stated, if patient and flexible on miles, condition, mods, etc, you can find "good" deals, but many say buy the best 911 you can afford and especially one of the ACooled 911 coupes you mention will more than likely at the very least hold value, and might even keep appreciating since more people are starting to drive them more and doesnt seem to be affecting appreciating prices .
Good luck.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:59 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

30 years ago Model A hot rods with flames, tuck-and-roll, and crate motors were $100K. Now, you can't give one away. Same for 48 Buick Roadmasters. That generation is passing. Same will happen with your 911.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:00 PM
sugarwood
Pro

A correctly adjusted and serviced 915 is a perfectly good gearbox. It was in production for the better part of 2 decades. It is not defective. It was not recalled. It was not subject to lemon laws. Contrary to internet folklore, remarkably, it actually does shifts the gears. Go figure! Are you going to be shifting with lighting precision where every 1/10 second counts? No, you are not. If you were, you wouldn't be looking at a 30 year old car in the first place, and you'd be driving a modern car with triple the horsepower and PDK, like the pros. If you get a 915 and it's worn out or needing adjustment, just get that fixed.

Here is a premise worth considering. Some buyers say they are used to a modern Honda gearbox, and that's why they prefer to find a G50. I'll suggest that the entire point of getting an air cooled 911 (and paying top dollar for the privilege) is to have a vintage "leather goggles" driving experience. No power steering. Suspension firmness opposite of "floaty sofa". Mechanical clutch. No nanny assist or stereo or DVD player or Navigation. An exhaust rumble. Even an oil dipstick! The very point of buying an old 911 is that it's nothing like your modern convenient Honda, and that it's different. In that regard, a 915 gearbox is more authentically vintage than a G50 anyway. The guy that wants a modern gearbox probably would not be happy in a 30 year old car in the first place, and might prefer a 997, right?
Old 12-26-2016, 01:02 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Why the fixation on the '84? 84-85-86.....Same thing. You are limited by real world constraints of what is available and crosses your path, even if you plan to budget $1000 for each car you jump on a plane to visit. Buy your SC or 3.2 in the right condition and history, from the right owner, within your search radius, at a price you're comfortable with.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:03 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
A correctly adjusted and serviced 915 is a perfectly good gearbox. It was in production for the better part of 2 decades. It is not defective. It was not recalled. It was not subject to lemon laws. Contrary to internet folklore, remarkably, it actually does shifts the gears. Go figure! Are you going to be shifting with lighting precision where every 1/10 second counts? No, you are not. If you were, you wouldn't be looking at a 30 year old car in the first place, and you'd be driving a modern car with triple the horsepower and PDK, like the pros. If you get a 915 and it's worn out or needing adjustment, just get that fixed.

Here is a premise worth considering. Some buyers say they are used to a modern Honda gearbox, and that's why they prefer to find a G50. I'll suggest that the entire point of getting an air cooled 911 (and paying top dollar for the privilege) is to have a vintage "leather goggles" driving experience. No power steering. Suspension firmness opposite of "floaty sofa". Mechanical clutch. No nanny assist or stereo or DVD player or Navigation. An exhaust rumble. Even an oil dipstick! The very point of buying an old 911 is that it's nothing like your modern convenient Honda, and that it's different. In that regard, a 915 gearbox is more authentically vintage than a G50 anyway. The guy that wants a modern gearbox probably would not be happy in a 30 year old car in the first place, and might prefer a 997, right?
+100%. Should be made into a sticky.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:28 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

^^ so true. I find my 915 much more engaging than my g50
Old 12-26-2016, 03:42 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

the 915 is way too modern and heavy - get a '71 with the typ 911 gearbox

the '84-on cars have EFI and the SC is stuck with CIS, so that is a superior upgrade, not to mention some reduced susceptibility to water in the fuel (or so I hear)

an SC won't kill you - get one and then either enjoy it or look for an '84 if that's what you want

or... Collect Them All!!
Old 12-26-2016, 04:17 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r911
the 915 is way too modern and heavy - get a '71 with the typ 911 gearbox

the '84-on cars have EFI and the SC is stuck with CIS, so that is a superior upgrade, not to mention some reduced susceptibility to water in the fuel (or so I hear)

an SC won't kill you - get one and then either enjoy it or look for an '84 if that's what you want

or... Collect Them All!!

Now that is the solution!
Old 12-26-2016, 05:01 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sugarwood

Since the early 70's cars are becoming so expensive, one would think that middle to late 70's SCs would fall in line. However, it seems like those model years have been skipped, in favor of the newer 964s. I know they made a lot less of the 964s than 911SCs. I own a few 964 models, and can say that the 911SC I just picked up is as fun to drive and just as engaging as any of the 964s that I own. Not debating which one is better, just saying that these 911SCs offer a lot of value at this time, if your looking to get into an air cooled Porsche. No body thought ten years ago a decent clean 964 could set you back 40-50k.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the 87-89 G50 is the car you want. But they are expensive.
84-86 is a nice compromise if you are looking to save a little money.

the 1979-1983SC are great value and should not be overlooked.

set your budget and look for anyone of these example in as good condition as you can find.

If there is a bubble, good condition cars will hold there value and the average cars might see a dip back down to realistic.

The trouble today is that average or less then average condition cars are fetching strong money but they require alot of money to get them where they need to be... That might end if there is a "bubble"

I keep buying if there is a deal or a barn find regardless of the economy.

Quick Reply: What to buy?