Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My Coilover rear shocks and my 930 brakes

Old 11-26-2016, 11:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My Coilover rear shocks and my 930 brakes

Going to try and put together a post or two about my rear coilover Bilstein shocks and upcoming mods to my 930 brakes. Some of this is a direct cut/paste of my out of place post in another thread. Will be adding to this as time goes on.....

Originally Posted by John D.
Nice job! BTW - what are you running for coil-overs - and are you using them to replace the T'bars - or are they in addition (can't see the whole setup in your image).. As well, did you reinforce the shock towers?

So many questions - I know - BUT - it's a offshoot of posting a more technical pic - rather than the full car

John, I'm more than happy to answer any and all questions from you.

Shocks started life as Bilstein Sports that I took to Bilstein Poway. They put in new valves(to match a 28/29mm Tbar), oil, seals, rods, and cut the groves to hold the coilover sleeves and gave them new serial numbers. The sleeves came from Rebel S Racing who also supplied the 6"x150# Eibach main spring(bump stop). There is also a Faulkner 4"x80#(aids the stock Tbar) and a 4"x4# helper spring. The idea was to have adjustability on a rear end that was otherwise not so adjustable. That, and decent Tbars were on a multi-month back order and cost quite a bit more. Basically did what the factory did on early RS cars. Oh the Huge Manatee

I did not reinforce the shock towers as I've still got the stock Tbars installed and they are holding the majority of the weight.

They match the Bilstein struts and inserts up front. Numbers come out to 21/29

http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/ springs

http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/ coilover kit

http://www.bilsteinus.com/about-bilstein/contact/ valve and rod work

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...rvice/service/ Bilstein worksheet (make sure you tell them the shocks you are working with were "aftermarket")

http://www.einmalig.com/ 930 calipers, Bilstein cores, oil lines, and most everything else I do comes from here.

Here's some visual input curtesy of Bisi pulling out his camera while I wasn't looking:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFSRl5Yv...en-by=bisimoto

Just remembered that I had a photo of one of the shocks sitting in my top drawer a few years ago.....so I took a photo of a photo.

Originally Posted by psychoideas
hi Doug,
Please direct me to your thread that covers your coil over installation.

cheers
Frank

Ya, time for a thread.
Attached Images    
Old 11-26-2016, 11:45 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

This will give you a pretty good idea of just how little travel or spring compression there is. And looking at the Faulkner site now, they offer a 75# and a 90# spring but no 80#.

I remember having to tell Bilstein where I wanted the coilover clip groove cut.

Also remember that the shocks were yellow like Sports, but they had the thinner rod like the HD's....So we went with bigger rods, I think, 14mm to match the top spring perch from Rebel S that match the rods on the newer Bilstein Sports. I think if you start with new Sports you'll be fine.

Ask for Juan at Bilstein Poway. He asked for my car's bar stiffness, weight, use, tires, all that kind of technical stuff. If I had it to do over, I'd just ask Steve Weiner to build them for me or Rebel or Elephant or whoever. Poway was only about 90 minutes from home so I couldn't help myself.

More to come as I think of it....
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2016, 12:03 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

great write up.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:51 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by FLYT993
great write up.
Wait until I do the write up on the adjustable lumbar support on my Sparco's.

....or the relationship between what's on the inside with what's on the outside. AKA two fog light switches.
Attached Images   
Old 11-27-2016, 01:48 PM
espimausoleum
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from fontana

stumbled onto one of your threads and decided to reach out because saw you were in the inland empire and have done a lot with your car! Just bought a 74' 911 and want to start doing projects. If you have any time to chat please let me know.
All the best
espi
Old 11-27-2016, 04:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

espi, my shop is your shop.... Lot's of stray cats around...what's one more. I'm at the 210 and Carnelian.

Will swap numbers with you later. Right now I'm preparing 15 racks of babyback ribs for my daughter's baby shower here at 5:00 today.

For you guys that know where the Cucamonga Carrera Cantina is located it's ribs a million at 5:00 sharp.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:33 AM
espimausoleum
3rd Gear

awesome! looking forward to it

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Sense pictures can tell the tale fare better than I can I took a few along the way. Basically I converted a "Late" 930 rear brake caliper to an "Early" caliper that uses a banjo to feed it.

Used a sawzall to hack off the stupid oversized port.

Centered my milling head to the port by sticking a small drill bit in the hole and lining everything up to that drill bit.

Milled a flush surface centered on the port.

Used a file to cut away the excess around my milled mating surface.

Double checked the milled surface.

Drilled the hole that would be tapped about 15mm deep because it only needed to be 10mm deep.

Put the tap in the mill and got it started.

Pulled the tap out of the chuck and continued to tap by hand with use of a visegrip.

Chamfered the edge of the opening because the bevel on the banjo bolt would hit the caliper otherwise.

Cleaned everything up good with lots of brakleen over and over and over again.

Put it all back together.

Now leave me alone.
Attached Images          
Old 12-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

A little cross-linking for future reference:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-calipers.html
Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

And if you are curious about what I did all this on let me introduce you to someone that posted a Craigslist ad on Thanksgiving for a $1,200 Harbor Freight milling machine. Would you believe I got everything in the back of my truck for $150. Yep. Smokin' deal. Had to rent a $22.00 engine hoist to get it out of my truck and into my shed, but so what... I got a freakin' milling machine, a massive vise, and a hold down kit for $150.00. My brother was more than happy to help shoehorn it into my shed. And yes, that's the Scott that worked for Boyd Coddington.
Attached Images    
Old 12-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

milling tip is 3/4" x 1/2"

Collet is 1/2" R8

Drill bit is an "R"

Tap is a M10 x 1.0
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2016, 11:08 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. Just awesome!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:36 PM
pstallo
Track Day

Strong work!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:42 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

You have the same look on your face as in that hiking picture earlier this year. Must be another one of those "nirvana" moments!!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:56 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by WBYonder
You have the same look on your face as in that hiking picture earlier this year. Must be another one of those "nirvana" moments!!
Imagine the look on my face today when I mounted the caliper and bent the new line to it. Today was pure heaven.

Speaking of pictures. You saw the picture of me after about 500' of elevation gain but you didn't see me 90 minutes later at Lone Pine Lake, up another 1,500'? Exhausted but proud of myself and surprised to be alive. Cut my time up the portal almost in half.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Coilover rear shocks and my 930 brakes