Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My Coilover rear shocks and my 930 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

That's pretty close. Wheels flex under heavy load. May not be an issue but watch it and move the weights inward if needed.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
That's pretty close. Wheels flex under heavy load. May not be an issue but watch it and move the weights inward if needed.
Speaking of wheel flex I noticed a while back that my left front had scuffed the caliper at some point. The first time I put it all together yesterday I could see what the issue was and corrected it. The washers/spacers were a tad thinner than the ones on the right side of the car. Ended up using two thinner washers per bolt effectively pulling the calliper further inbound by a mm and making a world of difference. If you thought it was tricky getting one washer in imagine the fun it is to get two to stay. Solution?...... dab 'o grease. Oh the Huge Manatee
Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can put 205s on 7" wheels. In fact, I prefer them over wider tires in the front.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
You can put 205s on 7" wheels. In fact, I prefer them over wider tires in the front.
Well to day was lost to rain and trying to teach my oldest how to drive a stick. Poor little Honda is gonna get beat into the ground. I finally took a wrench to the throttle cable and bumped the idle up by 500 RPM and that seemed to buy a bit of forgiveness. She is not going to even look at the 911.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I still stall the Cayman. It has a terrible combination of throttle by wire and engine cut off. Hate it.

I still drive it like I drive the 3.2 911, which is to wait until you feel the clutch bite, then feather in gas. When I dropped the motor at around 400K miles, the clutch and flywheel looked new. No blue color, and the disc looked no different from the one just out of the box.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Rusnak, what are you doing Thursday the 9th? Current plan is to go up the 99 or the 5 all the way to Sonoma the first night, then split Friday between Sonoma and San Francisco then Sun do SF including Alcatraz and make it to Half Moon Bay. Monday make it to Moonstone for dinner at The Sea Chest....Then make it home before rush hour Tuesday. Would love to show you mine if you show me yours.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:46 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

oh my God! OK, let's see....sounds like you're taking the 5 to 580 and then the San Mateo bridge.

Hmm...so are you guys having lunch along the way? We can do maybe Harris Ranch (I-5 and 198 near Coalinga), or if you are taking 152 to Gilroy, there is a nice coffee shop at Casa de Fruita close to the 101.

I just bought a center radiator kit. I doubt that I'll have time to have it installed by then.

Here is what has been occupying my days, nights, and every minute between then: Basically, it's taking a quarter of what was our overflow parking lot for the pumpkin patch. Starbucks starts in a month or so, and then this summer it's on.
Attached Images     
Old 02-27-2017, 07:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Holly Cow!!!! Underground coffee vault...How cool is that. Just don't pump coffee into gas tanks and gas into coffee mugs.

I think the current map is 99 all the way to the 12 then over. I used to go that way when my father was in Modesto. The 580 is a shorter route, but yuck!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:37 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

It's not the fuel storage tank, it's three utilities sleeves that we have to install under a canal. Long story, very long story. Anyhow, I don't know if you mean "Avenue 12" in Madera? There is a great sushi bar here as well as teppanyaki. Or we can meet real quick along the freeway if you're pressing for time.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:18 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Hwy 12 that runs from just south of Lodi across the Delta to Santa Rosa via Sonoma and Fairfield. Most of it is corn as far as the eye can see all summer long until you get near Napa then its vineyards.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:55 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

So what is the proper sequence of specs to set?

Ride height then camber then toe? Seems each affects the others so when you adjust one you have to adjust all...except maybe caster...I've typically just set caster so they are the same, both about as far back as they go and called it good. Setting toe is more of a set, drive, set, drive, set, drive kind of thing. Get it within a 16th and try it out. Any tips to a guy with Longacre toe plates and a string jig?
Old 02-28-2017, 03:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Since you're going to be adjusting at ride height, calibrate your garage floor and mark the spots where you are going to place the plates. You'll know when you go to check it if you're miles off, or pretty close. If you're way way off, then it can be iterative.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

iterative
I haddah Google dat

I don't have a garage....well, the "garage" is used for daycare I've got a couple sheds...one for the car and one for the tools.

I do have a spot in the driveway that is nice and level left to right and has an even slope to it. Thinking of dropping the front ride height to 24" first then starting in on camber and toe then driving it and seeing if its still where I put it.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

What I did was mark where the tires are going to go, as well as the hub centers. Place stacks of coins there to compensate for bow, and use a straight edge. Place a digital level on the straight edge.
Attached Images          
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

VR-1 20/50 is on sale at AutoZone for $2.00/qt

.....And 24-1/2 with 2° neg is still too low. Pushed it a bit as I pulled in here and tagged the sidewall.

Store manager is pissed right now. I made it out of the store with 11 quarts.

Quick Reply: My Coilover rear shocks and my 930 brakes