Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1987 carrera a/c

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 03:31 PM
9teen87
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 carrera a/c

i need to upgrade a/c on my 87 carrera. best to use Griffiths or Renn Aire products? i dont need a new compressor just evap hoses and condenser. any thoughts? thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 10:37 AM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Default A/C

I just re-furbished the A/C on our '86.

pm me as needed.

Best,

Gerry
Old 10-21-2016, 01:12 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

For aftermarket AC upgrade there are 3 primary companies you can review, in alpha order:
Griffiths
Rennaire
Retroair

You can search the Rennlist and Pelican boards for comments relative to each brands performance, service, warranty and reliability. Each brand has its own unique approach. However the basics are:

1) Reliability/Integrity. Reducing system leaks. Insuring existing or components you are not replacing are worthy. You will likely need to replace the original ac hoses with "barrier hoses", o-rings, receiver drier, add a low high pressure switch to protect the system. Inspect the compressor's internal condition; pistons, bores, wobble plate, reed valves. Test the fan speed controls (switch and resistor element under the passg side foot board), evaporator blower motor, primary AC fuse in fuse panel, primary AC relay in smuggler's box, front condenser motor (add in line fuse if you don't have one).
Check deck lid and front condenser leaks. Inspect evaporator for debris on fins and leaks. Test the thermostat function.

2) Upgrades start with condenser function. The stock system simply lacks enough capacity for outside temps above 85F. If you have cabriolet or targa they are harder to cool down than a coupe. The color of the vehicle body comes into play as well. A black or dark color is more difficult to keep cool than, say, white or silver. Having a passenger in the car can add up to 500 BTU's easily to the cockpit; and passengers tend notice the cockpit climate more than the driver (they are not focused on the road). If you are in higher altitude the radiant energy puts a heavy demand on the system. Humid climates (Florida vs. Arizona) put more demand on the system as well.
Other upgrade options can include improved evaporators, blower motors, vents and controls. Ideally your parts supplier should be able to customize a proposal for you based upon your vehicle's year and model, your climate and cooling needs and your budget.

3) Costs include parts and labor. If you are handy with a wrench and have the time, most component replacements and upgrades are easily handled by you at home. Tool list basically includes a good floor jack, 4 jack stands and common inch and metric wrenches ;nothing fancy needed. Instruction wise, some brand names provide little while others shine in detail. If you don't have the time to do the install yourself all you need is a competent-experienced air cooled Porsche mechanic willing to work with you. Some repair shops don't have an issue with you bringing them the parts, however some do. So ask before hand.
If you job the work out the labor cost can range from $100 to $150 per hour, all depending upon where you go. Unless you are very familiar with evacuation, charging and testing the system (you have all the equipment and tools), you are usually best off to leave that to an experienced AC tech. If you do have a shop do the parts installation insure they have AC equipment on site rather than jobbing that out to another shop. Best to keep as much as you can in one basket.

3) Brands. Here you will want to ask about parts warranty, availability of tech support, detail to instructions they supply. Here again, research. Read through the forums, ask questions.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:24 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Default A/C

Originally Posted by griffiths
For aftermarket AC upgrade there are 3 primary companies you can review, in alpha order:
Griffiths
Rennaire
Retroair

You can search the Rennlist and Pelican boards for comments relative to each brands performance, service, warranty and reliability. Each brand has its own unique approach. However the basics are:

1) Reliability/Integrity. Reducing system leaks. Insuring existing or components you are not replacing are worthy. You will likely need to replace the original ac hoses with "barrier hoses", o-rings, receiver drier, add a low high pressure switch to protect the system. Inspect the compressor's internal condition; pistons, bores, wobble plate, reed valves. Test the fan speed controls (switch and resistor element under the passg side foot board), evaporator blower motor, primary AC fuse in fuse panel, primary AC relay in smuggler's box, front condenser motor (add in line fuse if you don't have one).
Check deck lid and front condenser leaks. Inspect evaporator for debris on fins and leaks. Test the thermostat function.

2) Upgrades start with condenser function. The stock system simply lacks enough capacity for outside temps above 85F. If you have cabriolet or targa they are harder to cool down than a coupe. The color of the vehicle body comes into play as well. A black or dark color is more difficult to keep cool than, say, white or silver. Having a passenger in the car can add up to 500 BTU's easily to the cockpit; and passengers tend notice the cockpit climate more than the driver (they are not focused on the road). If you are in higher altitude the radiant energy puts a heavy demand on the system. Humid climates (Florida vs. Arizona) put more demand on the system as well.
Other upgrade options can include improved evaporators, blower motors, vents and controls. Ideally your parts supplier should be able to customize a proposal for you based upon your vehicle's year and model, your climate and cooling needs and your budget.

3) Costs include parts and labor. If you are handy with a wrench and have the time, most component replacements and upgrades are easily handled by you at home. Tool list basically includes a good floor jack, 4 jack stands and common inch and metric wrenches ;nothing fancy needed. Instruction wise, some brand names provide little while others shine in detail. If you don't have the time to do the install yourself all you need is a competent-experienced air cooled Porsche mechanic willing to work with you. Some repair shops don't have an issue with you bringing them the parts, however some do. So ask before hand.
If you job the work out the labor cost can range from $100 to $150 per hour, all depending upon where you go. Unless you are very familiar with evacuation, charging and testing the system (you have all the equipment and tools), you are usually best off to leave that to an experienced AC tech. If you do have a shop do the parts installation insure they have AC equipment on site rather than jobbing that out to another shop. Best to keep as much as you can in one basket.

3) Brands. Here you will want to ask about parts warranty, availability of tech support, detail to instructions they supply. Here again, research. Read through the forums, ask questions.
A very fair, accurate and unbiased assessment.

Griff was of great help during my A/C overhaul/replacement.

If you have limited A/C experience,
go with the great Griffiths parts & tech
support.

Best,

Gerry
Old 10-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

Excellent quality and customer service with Griff. His system kept my 88 Cab cool in Florida, Texas, and Hawaii. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

I have to agree that Griffith's just gave a very fair, professional review and left his personal bias out. Though we know where it would be! Really exceptional.

After reading that, I wish I'd have looked around more, but I went with Retro-Aire. Very complete system, works exceptionally well in Alabama heat. (Yes, it's late October and I had the air on today.) Anyway, I remember a couple snags on installation, but Retro took care of them nicely.

The big thing is air volume. My new condenser is about twice the size of my old (not literally, but it goes side to side, nearly the full width of my engine lid.) Plus the new fan puts out a lot more air. It is a bit noisy at speed, but so is the car.

Overall, the system works as represented and I'm very glad I did it.

Best to you.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:31 PM
dlg993
Track Day

Why are you going through the effort of revising your air conditioning system and not having your compressor seals renewed?

Quick Reply: 1987 carrera a/c