Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to Old Cars - 1970 911T Hot Rod to be

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 11:36 PM
tadohw
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Old Cars - 1970 911T Hot Rod to be

A buddy and I recently bought a 1970 911T. The car was envisioned to be an RSR tribute car but has the original engine. Suspension and chassis set up are "aggressive street".

Engine - If we are looking for horsepower, what are the pro's and cons of going with a 80's era 3.2 vs. a 90's era 3.6?

Transmission - 915 vs. G50?

Wheels - I have an old pair of 16" fuchs and have contacted Weidman about modifying them. It appears original spec had 2" of difference in stagger. If we go for 8/10x16" wheels.....will we have enough tire choices for aggressive street and occasional track?

Thanks in advance,
Tadohw
Old 10-17-2016, 12:46 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I'd keep the wonderful, light road-racing shift pattern of the typ 911 that you have.

I build up a 2.7L to a point just shy of ripping apart the trans. and be very careful of the unsupported 1st gear (1st is not the point of a 911 anyway).

I'd go S/T or RS and not mess up the nice clean lines of the body much.

For an RSR build with wide tires (which will lose some of the great light wt. steering feel), I'd but a '74 and chop that up.

Do it right and you'll wind up with 2 great cars.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Racer

This project is going to get very expensive very fast. Take what you have and get it running. Then make some decisions. If you get the car running properly and still have money left then start to think about modifications.

I got Derek Bell to test my car after it was done. He liked it

This sounds like one of those project cars that gets passed around and never completed. Drive it. Enjoy it. Then steal money from the food budget to send to Harvey.

btw - It seems that Harvey is running about a year behind on this wheels. Several people have told me ti's been over a year. I have a set that's been out there for two years.

Richard Newton
Are Round Wheels Important?
Old 10-17-2016, 08:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Less is more. Narrow body is cool. Id keep the car the same color, body and original motor as on the COA.
RS and RSR tributes have all been done to death.

If you must go RS or RSR, you would want the correct wheels and tires to make it look "right".

Personally, I would paint the car the original color, hot rod the original engine, full exhaust, add R seats with cool inserts, R door panels and deep 6 fuchs on Avons. Prototypo wheel.
Full track ready suspension.
You could even do a center fill gas tank if that floats your boat.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:48 PM
tadohw
Rennlist Member

I guess I should have been more clear in the original post. The car is 90% of the way done when we bought it. It already has all the wide body flares, custom paint, a custom interior that is RSRish. It looks great. It runs great. And I do love the dogleg 1st gear of the 901.

With the original engine in back, its a joy to drive but it looks a heck of a lot faster than it is. Its running 7 & 8 x 15" fuchs right now. When pushed out to the edge of the wide fenders, they simply look a little silly. The car is way too close to finished to bring it back to stock now. Good news is, we don't HAVE to do anything...........but who has that kind of self control.

The guy who envisioned this car before we bought it had a much bigger engine in mind and he stopped short of installing it. That's where our idea for an engine, transmission and wider tires come in.

Thanks all for comments,
Tadohw
Old 10-17-2016, 11:11 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

ok, how fast do you want to go?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Id keep the stock engine and transmission.
But id build the engine and do a nice exhaust.

Keep it close to RS tribute as you can at this point, OR make it a ST tribute.

Going G50 with a 3.2L wouldnt really be neccessary IMO.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:53 PM
tadohw
Rennlist Member

How fast? I've had an 84 Targa, 993C4S, 06 and 09S. I'd say the power to weight of the 993 is a sweet spot. 10lbs/hp or less. We don't need to get the car stupid fast and want it to be a reliable driver. The whole point of the car is to drive it on Northern California's coast and mountain roads and go for smiles/mile. Not top speed. Not the kinda speed that will get us in trouble. HP and torque that will get us out of trouble when needed would by my answer.

One buddy told me to always go for more HP as you can "always let off the gas"......though that's not exactly true in an old 911 in my experience!

Tadohw
Old 10-18-2016, 03:39 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

I am also good with 8:1 or so - you can get there by lightening the car (which improves EVERY performance criterion: braking, cornering, etc. not just accel.) and using that 3.2L (maybe massaged with $1,000 bills a bit)

or a 993 motor (which will add wt. on the rear end)

I did the former and used PMO carbs (because I am a caveman) - since then, PMO came out with some nice throttle bodies and many people use motec on them.

There are lots of xlnt. builders in Calif. so it's not like you are isolated in the mid-west
Old 10-19-2016, 08:53 AM
carsandcapp
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

If money is not an impediment, then buy a 3.6/G50 drive train out of a wrecked 993. Probably 18 to 20k-ish plus install costs. If there are budgetary constraints, I'd hunt for a 3.2 to mate up the 915 tranny. (Mating a 3.6 to a 915 requires pricey adapter bits and other work).
A decent running 3.2 can be had for around 10k. The 3.2/915 combo is a lighter motor than a 3.6/G50 and if the RSR build used f-glass quarters and flares, the power to weight ratio should be pretty sweet. The lightweight 3.2 combo is the route I am going on my RSR tribute build. But it started out as a previously violated '77 coupe with a toasted 2.7, so like your build, the originality horse had long ago left the barn. Build thread on Pelican below:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...t-hot-rod.html

And FWIW, I also have a G50 car too. I don't find the shifting to be all that better than the 915, though some people swear by them.

Quick Reply: New to Old Cars - 1970 911T Hot Rod to be