Off went the left inner wing as well:
Attached Images     
Old 10-02-2016, 01:29 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

... before welding up the right inner wing to the A-post, then trial fitting the right outer sill.
Attached Images    
Old 10-02-2016, 01:34 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Next job: factory sunroof delete panel fitted full length from scuttle to engine bay. This is definitely not a job for the faint hearted.
Attached Images      
Old 10-02-2016, 02:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

beautiful work as always! Saved the car!

I feel for the owner. The car was tags and title. Nothing more.
Almost to the point of finding another donor....

At least now the owner knows what he has from the ground up.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:09 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks for sharing and documenting this very extensive... re-creation I guess, as it is beyond a restoration.

I agree with the comment or query as to why an owner would pay for this and not find another car. It is "tags and title" and something more... a VIN plate. But it isn't the VIN for the first 911 or the first "S" etc., just an SC. SO I don't get it. maybe the car has some special emotional significance like having been in the family (?)
Old 10-02-2016, 04:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by r911
Thanks for sharing and documenting this very extensive... re-creation I guess, as it is beyond a restoration.

I agree with the comment or query as to why an owner would pay for this and not find another car. It is "tags and title" and something more... a VIN plate. But it isn't the VIN for the first 911 or the first "S" etc., just an SC. SO I don't get it. maybe the car has some special emotional significance like having been in the family (?)

That's a really interesting and relevant comment which is easily explained. The owner had the car for around 9 months before it came to us and before I started the work I warned him that he would be "all in" from the start, so he definitely went into the project with his eyes wide open. Why? Because his business is building, or more specifically the regeneration of old brick barns into modern accommodation, where all you are starting from is a building plot and 4 walls with planning permission. He knew the score and just wanted a perfect car with no hidden nasties - you can tell me whether he made the right decision and whether we achieved his goal at the end of the thread.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by r911

You are thinking of the other thread where Colin is backdating an SC. This actually is a longhood car and not just another SC. Very much worth saving and investing in....but ya, all he purchased was a VIN and a pile of parts.

EDIT: OOPS.....You were right....It's just an SC
Old 10-03-2016, 09:54 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amber lamps
EDIT: OOPS.....You were right....It's just an SC
So does this mean we should all be saying " OOPS ..... it's just a 964" when another $500,000 Singer 911 is completed?

In my view the delight of the 911 is that you can build practically any model into the car of your dreams, be that 2.7RS, ST, 993RS or Singer for that matter. It's the ultimate Hot Rod sports car as any air cooled engine will fit in the back, practically any gearbox can be made to fit in the middle, as indeed Singer proved with their original 3.2 Carrera based orange prototype that ran a 6 speed 993 gearbox, 3.8 engine with 964 style tunnel grafted in for clearance. The 911's we are building are being crafted to the owner's specification (& budget) to as high a standard as we can attain, so my hope is that you just enjoy the build for what it is - the perfect regeneration of a 911 from a pile of iron oxide.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:16 AM
09mageec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
So does this mean we should all be saying " OOPS ..... it's just a 964" when another $500,000 Singer 911 is completed?

In my view the delight of the 911 is that you can build practically any model into the car of your dreams, be that 2.7RS, ST, 993RS or Singer for that matter. It's the ultimate Hot Rod sports car as any air cooled engine will fit in the back, practically any gearbox can be made to fit in the middle, as indeed Singer proved with their original 3.2 Carrera based orange prototype that ran a 6 speed 993 gearbox, 3.8 engine with 964 style tunnel grafted in for clearance. The 911's we are building are being crafted to the owner's specification (& budget) to as high a standard as we can attain, so my hope is that you just enjoy the build for what it is - the perfect regeneration of a 911 from a pile of iron oxide.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Colin, my OOPS was on me, not you. I genuinely forgot this was an SC until after I posted. I edited in what I thought would be a mea culpa, instead it appears you took it as an insult. ....And we 3,2 owners just love to rib the 3,0 guys. Was not at all intended to offend.

Some of us could never dream of being able to afford your work. That, and tubs are so plentiful here that it seems odd that someone with that much money wouldn't start a build with a better example. The old saying "The better the start, the better the finish" is applicable with cars, no?

Anyway, keep the picks coming...this is an awesome journey.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:58 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the explanation. Definitely no offence taken, probably just me being over sensitive to the strangely inconsistent response to modified Porsche's in general.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Thanks for the explanation. Definitely no offence taken, probably just me being over sensitive to the strangely inconsistent response to modified Porsche's in general.
I'm with you there. Everyone loves my car in person, but on the internet everyone gets totally butt hurt over it. My car started life as an '88 manual top cab with an LSD and factory short shift. I purchased the car from the original owner that apparently never once took it in to get new spark plugs or rotor. Today, after 9-1/2 years of tinkering she's a beast on a diet built to be every bit an RS that a cab can be including coilovers and 930 brakes. Very offensive indeed.
Attached Images   
Old 10-03-2016, 05:58 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Rumor has it Tyson was Jack Olsen's secret weapon
That's no rumor. I wouldn't trust my 911 to anyone else. His name sits right on the back, and it's by my choice, not his. (It's one thing to get a customer agree to slap on a decal. I had mine made.)

I won't speculate about what happened at TRE, except to say that they're not known as a paint-over-rust operation.

Tyson left TRE over a decade ago. PRO Motorsports is his own shop.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:00 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Good to hear. BTW, Do you have any info on Tyson's front chassis stiffening R&D? i.e. did he ever follow up on what he did years ago?

-------

FWIW, my 911 is modified tho I sometimes have an inconsistent response to it. My question was why someone would pay for an SC to be restored rather than extensively modified (in the unit body), and the "no surprises" answer is a good one, esp. his barn resto work.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
That's no rumor.
Speaking of rumors.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 9m11RS Part 1: Regeneration