Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

While replacing chain tensioner, what else should be done

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 02:27 PM
tomtom911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While replacing chain tensioner, what else should be done

i am about to have my mechanic upgrade the chain tensioner on my 1982 SC. It is very original with 61k miles on it. While doing this work are there any other repairs or service items I should do, while I am at it??
Old 09-26-2016, 03:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

The chain ramps are right there and they are cheap.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If this is an engine out operation, I'd take care of the "triangle of death" oil seals and maybe even the oil return tubes and take a good look at the clutch. May be an opportune time to change out the sound pad too.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

There is no way he should be taking the engine out to do tensioners. If he wants to. Find a new mechanic.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by theiceman
There is no way he should be taking the engine out to do tensioners. If he wants to. Find a new mechanic.
LOL. OK, I've seen some crazy things. I've not ventured into that pool so I didn't know. Can I replace my chain ramps with my 3.2L still in the car? At 83,000 miles when my engine is at idle there is a sound that to my ear is the chain. It doesn't sound bad, it just sounds like a chain that isn't tight.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Yes you can Doug quite easily. But it usually isnt the ramps causing it. Usually tensioners at maximum travel and. Chain slop.
May need new chains. Link chains can be done in the car with new tensioners and ramps and can retime cams
Continuous chain is total overhaul.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:57 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by theiceman
Yes you can Doug quite easily. But it usually isnt the ramps causing it. Usually tensioners at maximum travel and. Chain slop.
May need new chains. Link chains can be done in the car with new tensioners and ramps and can retime cams
Continuous chain is total overhaul.
OK. It's only at idle when I hear it when there is no pressure on the tensioners. If my chains were stretched I doubt I'd have the strongest 3,2 to have ever been strapped into the dyno at Bisimoto. For all I know I'm hearing a rattle in the shift linkage also very common at idle. Who knows?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 PM
dlg993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While there will certainly be some resistance to this reply, at only 61,000 miles on the engine, there is no reason to change anything, especially if you are paying a mechanic to do it. The tensioners on later SC engines do not suffer the failures of the earlier 911 tensioners, and these engines commonly get 200,000 miles before needing such service. And, if you are worried, the existing tensioners can be rebuilt. That written, changing to the oil-fed tensioners that debuted in the '84 Carrera is certainly the right direction. The job is actually pretty easy to do, even with the engine in the car. Details escape me without reviewing my notes, but it may be you will need the "spacers" for the idler sprocket arms to be compatible with the new tensioners. Or, you can replace the idler arms to the newer version. Details upon request.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:30 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dlg993
While there will certainly be some resistance to this reply, at only 61,000 miles on the engine, there is no reason to change anything, especially if you are paying a mechanic to do it. The tensioners on later SC engines do not suffer the failures of the earlier 911 tensioners, and these engines commonly get 200,000 miles before needing such service. And, if you are worried, the existing tensioners can be rebuilt. That written, changing to the oil-fed tensioners that debuted in the '84 Carrera is certainly the right direction. The job is actually pretty easy to do, even with the engine in the car. Details escape me without reviewing my notes, but it may be you will need the "spacers" for the idler sprocket arms to be compatible with the new tensioners. Or, you can replace the idler arms to the newer version. Details upon request.
I actually agree with this . When I bought my SC it already had the pressure fed tensioners so I certainly didn't go back .
During my recent rebuild however I did put wider idler arms in and also dropped in a spacer inside the tensioner to prevent total collapse. Its all pretty easy to do providing your back can take the strain of the bending over
Old 10-04-2016, 03:58 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't have any resistance to dlg993's reply, but let me offer some inductance: since you are already in there, consider the incremental cost in adding the pressure-fed tensioners, as vs. doing it all over again at a later time.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by amber lamps
OK. It's only at idle when I hear it when there is no pressure on the tensioners. If my chains were stretched I doubt I'd have the strongest 3,2 to have ever been strapped into the dyno at Bisimoto. For all I know I'm hearing a rattle in the shift linkage also very common at idle. Who knows?
the infamous G50 gear rattle maybe ?

Quick Reply: While replacing chain tensioner, what else should be done