Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thoughts on a 3.2 outlaw/restomod?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 01:16 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thoughts on a 3.2 outlaw/restomod?

Been in the whale tail 3.2 market a few months and no luck finding the right coupe or M491. I did see a beautiful 930 in Arrow Blue recently, and it stopped me in my tracks, but I don't want a turbo.

Curious how involved (and expensive) it would be to find a "needs work" high mileage donor 3.2 in the 20-25K range, do a glass out repaint, gut the interior in favor of an ultralight outlaw with Recaros (or whatever), then have Elephant or someone do the suspension for street/track driving. Lastly, drop a 3.6 motor in there mated to the appropriate transmission, and slap on some 17" all black Fuchs.
Is this idea feasible, or completely hair-brained? could a reliable, cost effective driver like this be done for say 70K or less including the donor car? Obviously my goals are not concourse or staying original.
How would the experts here do a 3.2/SC resto-mod with an outlaw tilt? Would a 3.6 be the right motor upgrade in lieu of rebuilding the donor motor?

Any shops or restoration experts in the Bay Area do this kind of project that I should speak with?
Thanks for any insight and opinions!

Going for this general look, but with black wheels.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Car 25
Paint/body 15
Interior 10
Chassis 15
Motor build 964 3.6 40
Trans 10
Add another 25% for well...

Still interested? :-)

Much better off finding one done well.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:22 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! According to these prices, I can just get an entire great condition low mile 993 C2 for just the cost of a 964 engine and tranny! Lol
Old 09-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

A 3.6 motor will cost you nearly $20k and then you're probably going to want to do a top end or more on it. There are plenty of people who have done what you're talking about, all it takes is skill and time or money and time. There are plenty of fell documented threads here or on Pelican about similar builds.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:44 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
A 3.6 motor will cost you nearly $20k and then you're probably going to want to do a top end or more on it. There are plenty of people who have done what you're talking about, all it takes is skill and time or money and time. There are plenty of fell documented threads here or on Pelican about similar builds.
Yes....You can buy entire 3.6l (60-80k miles) and conversion harness now for about $14k (from several sources) but with labor and other parts you replace it will easily come to $20k before a full teardown and rebuild.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Well he did say build.... so to me that's 15k for the motor and 25k to make it scream. 40.
Of course a strong stock 3.6 will be nice in a g body.

Maybe you can do it for less if you do all the work.
But having mostly completed my 964 chassis and interior.... prices are not off. Maybe lowmactually depending what you do to braking system and for dampers, convert to coil over etc.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:21 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Car 25
Paint/body 15
Interior 10
Chassis 15
Motor build 964 3.6 40
Trans 10
Add another 25% for well...

Still interested? :-)

Much better off finding one done well.
That's about what I was going to say, i.e. it's always way more than you think it could be.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to laugh at the numbers guys throw around (while trying not to make it obvious I'm laughing in their faces) at the prices paid for their Outlaw/resto-mods and the God like qualities hoisted up upon the 3,6L.

My lowly cab was a bone stock '88 with nothing to brag about other than it's manual top and it's G-50/LSD tranny. It now weighs in at under 2,600# and can SMOKE my buddies tricked out 964 that cost him more than twice what mine did to build.

I've swapped in Bilstein struts and revalved Bilstein inserts, New rubber bushings, turbo tie rods, 21mm front bars, strut brace, and some other little bits. Out back I've got 3 spring (150#/80#/4#) coilovers to aid the stock bars on revalved Bilsteins, adjustable droplinks, Basically spring rate comes out to something like 28mm or 29mm depending. Yes, I've got real 930 brakes.....the only non-Porsche item there are the hats. All heights, cambers, toes, were done by me with primitive tools right here at home.

Both side skirts, rear skirts, and bumperettes are gone, as is most heat and all of the AC. I went with a fiberglass ducktail with a mesh grill. back seats, center console, auto-heat, footwell blower, stock door cards, and stock carpet are all gone too replaced with RS Perlon felt carpet, RS door cards, manual pulls and flapper boxes...etc. seats are Sparco Evo III that I narrowed the shoulders a total of 3" and had leather covers made for.

If you calculated it all out including the original purchase price, replating of every single part I've touched including spring plates, fuel rails etc., 930 brakes, and the paint I've not spent $30,000....and no, that isn't a typo.... Einmalig is your friend.

Bottom line is that she's a beast. Strongest stock 3,2 to ever get mounted up to the dyno at Bisimoto. All I've done to the engine is balance the fuel injectors and I run a Milti-board in my DME. Scares the crap out of my friends. There is no replacing lightness.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFSRl5Yv...bisimoto&hl=en
Attached Images      

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 09-26-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm good with Spyerx's numbers.They may even be a little on the low side.

If you're building an outlaw (or even a full restoration) you going to be upside down - Biggly.

When I was involved in racing we usually figured we could get half our money back when it cam time to sell. Outlaw Prosches may be a little better. You might get $0.60 on the dollar.

Keep in mind that the average Rod Emory Outlaws goes for around $500,000.

Richard Newton
Garage Lighting
Old 10-01-2016, 04:34 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

you can't have fun driving a stock portfolio
Old 10-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
I have to laugh at the numbers guys throw around (while trying not to make it obvious I'm laughing in their faces) at the prices paid for their Outlaw/resto-mods and the God like qualities hoisted up upon the 3,6L.
Total apples and oranges.

if you can find a clean car and want to 'rot rod it a bit', and you have a fresh motor, trans is ok, and paint is serviceable, you can do that much, much cheaper. thinks like freshen up the suspension, proper alignment, aggressive wheels/tires, strip out interior, etc.

But if you want to "Build a full on hot rod" (and he did mention doing a 3.6...)

I took over 300 lbs out of my 964, motor/trans stock and both rebuilt recently (and really strong), put basically cup car suspension on it, and it's a little hot rod. Awesome for canyon runs and track days. it's not THAT much slower than my RS on a tight track. but it's not putting down 400hp like a gamroth 4L. and the gearing is a little off, 2 short, 3 long... etc. And I haven't flared it, or painted it. you get the idea.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:01 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

OK, I'm a bit flippant and harsh. I'm also a tight wad. I do all the work myself and have some insider connections, but still, the parts are not nearly as expensive as everyone claims..... If I can find T-locks for floating 930 rotors when even Clint at RSR said he couldn't find them....you can find the unobtainium too.... and if I can find a $900 (list is $1,200) bumper on craigslist for $50 you can too.....(actually one of you found one for $80 earlier this week)...... And if a famous dude like Michael Douglas will let me have his Sparco EVO III's and I can cut them down to fit and sucker a local shop into turning a dead cow into works of art than you can too.... And if I can find Bilstein struts for $200 each and not $1,500 each, then certainly you can too..... Want me to slap you with what I paid for the turbo water bottle?....

Who doesn't remember this post when all hell broke loose about getting almost everything on that table for $80 including the $880 in fuel rails?

Anyway, When Beverly Hills Car Club jumped at my joking that they could buy my car for $45,000.....perhaps they really do cost that much to build....who knows?

The point is that you should do what you want, build what you want to build, and spend the money that would otherwise go to stupid things like hookers and booze. It's only expensive if you should have spent the money on some other responsibility. If you have blow money....then blow it.

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Just before Christmas someone, I think Musburger, mentioned Einmalig ( http://www.einmaligparts.com/ ) and all the sudden my project took a crazy change in direction.

I've been doing sort of an R/RS/CS backdate. Bumperette delete, '69 911R tail lights, ducktail, and the like have been the recent endeavors.

Now, with my new BFF's at Einmalig I've jumped to replacing all the bright work on the engine. Fuel rails that are something like $440 each at the dealer can be swapped out for $20 each with parts already plated in yellow zinc.

Would you believe that everything on the table except the flapper boxes, heater tubes, motor mounts, injectors (cleaned and flow tested within 2%), fan belt, and a couple bags of bolts were all had for $80.00? I about fell over when Brian gave me the price. I had $500 in cash on me and thought it was gonna take it all. I did spend another $144.00 on the motor mounts, belt, tubes, and some extra nuts and bolts that are priced on par with other retailers but I still felt like I had stolen the store.

Now I just have to put it all on.

.....and the engine pictures are my BEFORE pictures. I'll get some AFTER pictures up before close of business Sunday.

And just curious, do you not think my car's a hot rod? It would make even you drop a load.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:59 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Dude I just want to bring you piles of engine parts for Cad plating. My 89 is getting the motor dropped we will powder all the tins and I'm going to have a bunch of the motor bits Cad plated. Also get injectors cleaned balanced, etc...etc
Old 10-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Dude I just want to bring you piles of engine parts for Cad plating. My 89 is getting the motor dropped we will powder all the tins and I'm going to have a bunch of the motor bits Cad plated. Also get injectors cleaned balanced, etc...etc
Most everyone in California does yellow zinc or rainbow zinc. Cadmium is more expensive and heavily regulated here. Most think zinc does a better job too. If the 911 were an ocean going boat then sure, to cad, but all my bright work was done in yellow zinc.

....and if your car is at TRE they use the same plater.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:10 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but does anyone else do their own plating?

Www.caswellplating.com has been my source.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 3.2 outlaw/restomod?