Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need help with Clutch throw out arm to tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:31 PM
move over
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Clutch throw out arm to tranny

Hi everyone i have been working on my 1977 porsche 911s for about a month now finally got it to run and everything thing else on the car to work.I need some help identifying what i need to attach from the clutch cable to the tranny i think its called a throw out arm or clutch lever arm I'm not sure if the tranny is original to the car or if its older the reason being is that when i look at photos of a 1977 porsche 911 clutch to tranny arm mine looks like a 1976 clutch to tranny arm i might be wrong the rod with the gear teeth coming down off the tranny seems longer then the ones on a 1977.I have attached a few photos any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images    
Old 09-24-2016, 01:01 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

That is a pre-1977 transmission. See how the clutch cable sheath (it's called the bowden tube) is anchored in a rib cast into the transmission case (2nd photo)? That arrangement went away in 1977.

There should be a transmission type stamped into the bottom of the case. If it's a 5-speed, probably 915/44 or 915/45.

I understand there were different types of release levers (which attach to that splined shaft). For one type the clutch cable has to bend 90-degrees. If you have that type, you want to switch to the earlier lever that has the clutch cable without the bend. I'm sorry, I can't find any photos of the two.

Can you post the transmission type and also photos of the release lever? Someone that knows better than me will probably chime in. You have to be careful with parts, because the clutch cables are different depending on the release lever.

Mark
Old 09-24-2016, 10:26 AM
move over
Intermediate

Hi Mark thanks for the quick response the transmission is a five speed and as far as the levers go I don't have any so I can't take any photos that's what I'm trying to determine which levers nuts etc that I need from the clutch cable to the tranny. Thanks again hopefully some other members can chime in
Old 09-24-2016, 04:35 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

you need the # he mentioned - it is found on a boss on the very bottom of the trans. (where dragging it will rub it off)

with that and the MY of the car the info you need will be on the PET if they match and maybe if they don't - lots of tranny's can interchange with a few mods maybe

right-angle bent arm is used on the 1975 MY and only to clear some pollution equip. - a straight arm can be used if that is gone,, with a different clutch cable
Old 09-24-2016, 05:38 PM
move over
Intermediate

R911 Thanks I will try to have a look by tomorrow I don't remember seeing a number on the tranny but I also wasn't looking for a number. Would you know where I would be able to order one of those parts I've looked on pelican and they don't have that throw arm I've also searched eBay and was only able to find one and I can't even order that one because the guys away and not taking orders until he comes back on the 30th
Thanks
Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Dealer (esp. Stoddard's ( a 'special' dealer)) or a used parts place - post your approx. location to minimize shipping

download the PET for your MY from the Porsche web site
Old 09-24-2016, 05:55 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

your car is a MY 1977 right?

and the question is exactly what trans. is in it?

once we know that we can figure out what add'l parts you need; also start looking thru any boxes you got from the PO or any hiding places in the car he may have stowed away stuff

AND... it would be smart to replace the wear parts (throw out bearings, etc.); do any upgrades/mods (e.g. the dam seal or damn seal is one needed on a '73 trans. and maybe a year or 2 after that)

plus, the U shaped looking arm in the bell housing often breaks as it is not a well designed part
Old 09-24-2016, 07:32 PM
move over
Intermediate

Correct my car is a 1977 911 S believe me I went through every nook and cranny and whatever parts came with the car i've already put back on the car I can't get any numbers of the tranny it looks like where there was a number once is gone when the tranny was out of the car at some point the number Must of got scraped off right now the tranny is in the car attached to the motor. I also went to that website you mentioned and they don't carry that part or at least I could not find it anywhere on their website. I use to have a 1973 Targa about 25 years ago and I remember the clutch cable being connected to a straight lever type of arm attached to the transmission
Old 09-24-2016, 07:33 PM
move over
Intermediate

Old 09-24-2016, 10:46 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

ligtly rub a marks-a-lot along that area and see what you can see
Old 09-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Maybe post a photo from further away so we can see the nearby exhaust system.

I think you should be able to use the longer arm, unless the exhaust is in the way, forcing you to use the shorter arm with the 90-degree bend in the clutch cable. Here is a photo I found, but your exhaust is probably different.

Then you just need to track down the family of parts associated with the arm you need to use. In addition to the arm, you need a rubber boot, a trunion (it holds the cable on the arm), a seal, a circlip, and an adjustment nut. You should also plan on a new clutch cable of the right length for whatever arm you end up with. Most if not all of these parts are on Pelican or Stoddard, but they are not easy to find.

Mark
Old 09-25-2016, 02:06 PM
move over
Intermediate

Hey Mark thanks for your help I ordered all the parts from pelican I got the long straight arm hopefully it works if not I'll order the bent arm should ship out next week Wednesday not sure why Wednesday my guess is it's shipping from somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Need help with Clutch throw out arm to tranny