Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

86' Carrera Cab value estimate?

Old 09-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Ronnocoshop
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86' Carrera Cab value estimate?

Hello,

I have an 1986 Carrera Cabriolet, triple black, 50,000 miles.
All stock except for stereo, nice condition and records. I've owned for 18 years. Never any major issue. What is a fair value?

Old 09-22-2016, 12:19 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Upper $30s to low $40s depending on a through PPI result.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/198...e-convertable/
Old 09-22-2016, 01:58 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on the extremely vague info given, anywhere from 30's to 50's.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:21 PM
flatman
Intermediate

I think at this moment you'd end up with $35 to $40K depending on when you had a major service and top and tire condition. I've seen slightly higher mileage examples lately with asking prices in the upper 20's low 30's. Just spent a lot of time searching for this era car - asking prices all over the place but selling prices much lower. Cabs going much lower than coupes. G50's get a premium. Actual sales have slowed significantly. I think it gets worse before its gets better - many many sellers right now.

Great time to be a buyer.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:06 AM
Ronnocoshop
4th Gear

More detail on Porsche from original poster.

I bought this car about 18 years ago. It was in New York and I had it shipped to California. It had 28K miles at the time. I am the 3rd owner but dealer was just a middleman so really the 2nd owner/driver of the car. It is an 86' 3.2 Carrera in triple black. Black paint, black interior leather and black top. It came from factory with no LSD, short shift, 20mm lower seats, 16 inch
Fuchs, manual top, no central locking, no cruise, factory alarm. It is still stock except for new stereo and speakers in original places. I drive it every week or so, take it out and get it hot. It has been to Vegas, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara and all over the central coast during my 18 years of ownership. It has never not started, run great or had any issue for the life I've had the car.
It has been serviced by a local well known Porsche mechanic who I told to do anything that was necessary to care for the car. Oil changes, brake fluid changes, oil tubes, alternator and basic tune up like plugs etc is all that has ever been required. It is in very nice condition, no rips/tears anywhere. There are the usual rock chips on front, small dent in one headlight ring and
a small dent by Carrera emblem on deck lid from a rock that must have come from inside. The tires look new but are past 5 years of age so should be replaced.

True garage queens will be nicer, but very few others will be this clean with history and low mileage. Any strong opinions, not guesses for the value? I'd really love to know.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:47 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Seems like a nice car. Lots of 3.2's to choose from out there. I stand by my valuation at low $40s to high $30s.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,001 Likes on 710 Posts

Only 50k ! I would have thought he got much more than that.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 AM
flatman
Intermediate

I have priced a lot of Porsche's similar to yours recently - my mileage limit was 60K so your car would have been right in my 'desirability' range - I looked at a LOT of cars like this - 6 months ago asking would be around $50K. Today your distinguishing feature is the mileage and service records IMO. Non G50, no LSD and and new radio - probably are negatives. Depending on how eager you are to sell - I'd start at $40k. I'd feel lucky to get calls and be quite negotiable at that price. If I were eager to sell - I'd ask $35K and I think I'd get more interest. FYI, look at comparables on EBAY and asking prices on Hemmings and PCA. You can check completed auctions on Ebay to see what actually sold (recently not much). Do NOT trust asking prices alone as being anywhere near reality right now.

BTW I would drive up to 300 miles from where I live to see a car - so if live in an obscure place - consign it somewhere. If you are in Socal there's a dealer selling at really low prices for slighly tarnished Porsches - so you may feel some price pressure. Hope this helps.

Based on your description I would have felt good buying at around $32K (or less).
Old 09-24-2016, 10:57 PM
Ronnocoshop
4th Gear

Non stock factory radio is a negative??? What??? Non G-50? Anyone looking for that would not be checking out an 86'???? I am curious, what percentage of 84-89 Carreras had LSD?
I don't have this for sale, just started thinking about it lately.

I think I would get bull rushed by buyers at 35K. Which won't happen ��
Old 09-24-2016, 11:25 PM
flatman
Intermediate

What I was implying was that a G50 is a more desirable vehicle and since I believe a G50 cab could be purchased in the low $40's these days your car would need to sell for less - if you have the original radio that might be a positive. Low mileage and originality are valued by many buyers. I realize the original radio was crap but then so is the AC. In reality your car is a pretty mundane commodity right now. Even 930 prices have fallen recently. Low mileage is the primary feature of your car and maintenance records would prove both the quality and veracity of the mileage. I have seen a lot of cars lately in the $40+K range and many are still on the market. Give it a try at higher numbers - you never know. Remember you asked for an opinion.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:06 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnocoshop
Non stock factory radio is a negative??? What??? I am curious, what percentage of 84-89 Carreras had LSD?
Yes, an original radio is a definite positive. Originality is very important now. It wasn't that important a few years ago. Lots of guys are paying huge money to purchase used original radios for their cars, even though they don't perform as well as today's aftermarket ones. Even used original paper speakers are in demand.

No idea what percentage of cars were equipped with LSD, but it's probably no more than 10%. It's not a negative, but is a desirable option if a car has it.

If the car is as nice as it sounds, with 50k miles, I think you should easily get 40k for it. This time of year it may not sell quickly, but it should sell.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by flatman
... Non G50, no LSD and and new radio - probably are negatives. ...
Actually...for some a G50 would be a negative as the 915 is closer to the original design.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:30 PM
RES22
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 84 cab is ROW, 35k miles, aftermarket radio (but I have orig too), sport seats, LSD, H4s, painted Fuchs. 915. My father purchased in 86, and I purchased from him in 04. All service records, recent $5k major done this spring including new tires, exhaust. Air blows cold. Short throw (but, again, have the orig too). Excellent condition w great paint and leather (no dash warping; color-keyed dash). Top is in great shape on the outside, but liner has a couple of holes. Plastic window is as clear as glass, but 3" or so of zipper is pulling away from top (still fully functional). Only "mistake" is basket handle 3rd brake light that my father put on it...and I don't want to reprint rear deck, so I've left it on...I've flirted w selling and based on a bunch of conversations my expectation is low $40s. (So, figure $35ish net, after the $5k I just put in.)
Old 09-26-2016, 04:43 PM
asbcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Actually...for some a G50 would be a negative as the 915 is closer to the original design.
I agree with this statement. My last 911 was an '87, and while I will say that the hydraulic clutch has a much lighter feel and the G50 gearbox is easier to operate, the 3.2 does better with the 915, generally feeling more responsive.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:39 PM
flatman
Intermediate

I too have a 915 and have come to enjoy it greatly especially since I wanted that vintage feel when I bought my car. Took me a while to get comfortable but now I take pleasure in my drives. When I brought up the fact that a G50 was a more desirable feature I was actually speaking about pricing - G50's right now command more $$$.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 86' Carrera Cab value estimate?