Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My "Barn Find" story! Part 1 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 12:00 PM
tbill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "Barn Find" story! Part 1 (long)

On July 25th received a call from a classic car friend, who was contacted about a 1988 911 3.2 that a doctor (OB-GYN) was wanting to sell. I e-mailed doctor's attorney about seeing his none-running (dead battery) car in Illinois. In the course of back an forth e-mails, I found out others had been looking at the car and that it had 27000 miles on the clock, but had not been driven, on the street, in ten + years. We set an appointment to view the car. Attorney stated “red over tan leather, no wing.”

First appearances, car has been covered in air-controlled office garage. Tires were flat on Fuchs wheels. Frunk was littered with magazines (Penthouse) and junk. Compressor and tool kit were there. Pulled back carpet all appears good. Sounds like gas tank is almost empty. No cracks in dash. In looking over this car, I can't find any rust. Seems to be all original, body panels in great shape, except for one small ding in right-front quarter-panel (found later after got car out in the sun for tow truck.) Last tag registration was 2001.

In speaking with the doctor, he said 911 had never seen rain or snow and only ran one time since 2001. (in his office parking lot) As there are cobwebs all underneath, that's for sure. No accidents. Service book was stamped on a regular basis, but he did not have any invoices. Just routine maintenance.

Inquired why he quit driving it and he said it was because of a broken leg and then after that with a broken back, then the battery died. One month ran into another and just never got it going again. Don't think doctor really liked car all that much, as he is 6' 2” and was hard to get in and out with a broken back in his history. His sixteen year old son drove it 2-3 times in town to impress the girls, (I know, over-revs) but as an adult in State of Washington did not want it, due to lack of garage space.

The doctor was ready to sell as he had sold his office building to a local hospital upon his retirement. He tried to get them to buy it as a tax deduction for him, but they wouldn't due to liability issues.

I gave the doctor a full page list of possible problems and replacement items the future owner will have to work on. Offered him a fair price. He and his attorney spoke about the offer. He said that he would accept my offer and what did we need to do next. Told him “Let's shake on it” and gave him a $1000 cash deposit. Right time & price. As Wayne Carani says make it easy for seller. So that's part one of my new 911 story. Stay tuned.
Attached Images    
Old 09-11-2016, 12:06 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome story. Keep us posted and congratulations!

Paul
Old 09-11-2016, 01:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

great find!

Totally worth it!
Old 09-11-2016, 01:54 PM
SI993
2nd Gear

That is amazing.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:22 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

keep us posted
Old 09-12-2016, 12:17 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Congratulations! Maybe one day I will get lucky too.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:31 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How does it decode out on the white tag under the hood lid ?

Nice find ! It's great it will once again sing it's song to the heavens ~ you just know it's been waiting for this time and is eager to please
Old 09-12-2016, 01:13 AM
Derek Tsang
Advanced

Very cool story, scary to think an 88 was a barn find, I remember test driving them back in the day brand new!
Old 09-13-2016, 07:46 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Please document how you get it running.
Video would be cool also.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:04 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

kept Penthouse in the frunk? weird an OB-GYN or was it the son?

also as mrgreenjeans has noted, what's on the white tag under the hood lid, option codes reveal

would you be ok to tell us ballpark price?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:38 PM
Sonoma707
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here's my '84 barn find
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2016, 07:16 AM
tbill
Racer

UPDATE:
Had towing company flatbed car to a warehouse, waiting for Dr. to come up with a title. As he could not find and State of Illinois didn't have in their system, it took awhile. Shipped to NC in an enclosed van (10/18) to Digital Chassis in Durham NC.

Brad replaced all fluids, filters, plugs, dist. cap & rotor and some fuel lines, fuel pump & filter and tank screen. Ordered four new tires from TireRack. Weights are now on back instead of front from the previous installer. (That says a lot about tire installer) Good tread on tires, but two of them were for 1988 and two from 2001!
Brakes, belts, wheel bearings all OK. Brad & Reggie at Digital Chassis did a great job of getting the car running again after fifteen years. Can't thank them enough.

Found Nth Degree Detailers from this forum, so contacted Chris to do a complete inside/outside extensive detail to bring car back to life. As you know 88's have single stage paint, so needed someone that knows what they are doing. We found a few more slight dents in body, so going to have a paintless dent removal guy work on those at the same time.

Have contacted Grundy, American Collectors Insurance, as well as three other insurance companies an none could beat my local agents quote(Erie). American would not write as I have two speeding tickets in past three years. Erie will not write "Agreed Value" so that accounts for part of the quote difference.

Driven 300-400 miles already in two day period, looking forward to having it detailed, so I can attend Saturday mornings PCA cars & coffee in Briar Creek. This 911 will be a driver, no track time.

Oldest grandson in picture is saying "I can't wait till I'm sixteen."
Attached Images    
Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Beautiful car. Another one saved! Great story. I always love those "doctor owned" car sales ads.

That's a very rare personalized plate too, in Illinois. That's considered a 'low number' (13) plate. Not easy to obtain. The good doctor must have had that a long time.

Enjoy. And great picture of your son. Save that one. In about 20 years it can become his Rennlist avatar.

Quick Reply: My "Barn Find" story! Part 1 (long)