Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 06:06 AM
Dougal Cawley
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by r911
Dougal, I've been very patient with your inane assertions, so don't push your luck.
Really? are you happy to print that? "don't push your luck" who do you think you are?

There are lots of other tires that will deliver better performance than the ones you are trying so hard to sell..
Maybe on a different car. maybe on the race track, but not on a classic '70s Porsche for road use. As i have said enough times now. yes if you modify your car to suit them, maybe, on the track, maybe you could get one that would offer better straight line braking in the dry, but that would come at the expense of other features. It is a balance. which the CN36 has got right. But importantly modern tyres would not give such progressive handling.

I detect some sour grapes here. r911 would you like to introduce yourself. are you by chance an independent Porsche fettler?

And while I have lots of information ot back that up, you have none to support your assertions. Indeed, has become evident over the course of this thread that you simply do not understand the issues involved. And I don't mean just the engineering or design issues, but how to conduct a test.
"I've been very patient with your inane assertions," (if you can say it so can i) but you have brought no evidence to the table. you just keep waffling the same old comment that you cannot back up. Under normal circumstances i would just ignore you. however you insist on trying to tell people something that is incorrect. rubbishing a product that, yes i sell, and can also be bought through Porsche. And yes any independent Porsche fettler can get them from Longstone Tyres or any of the other distributors of the classic range of Pirelli. https://www.cinturato.net/contact.html

The evidence is here, just read my comments and there is the evidence. I have not done the test, the German magazine have had an independent test done and there is the evidence, and Porsche recommend them.

Just to re cap, if anyone else is actually reading this & i very much doubt anyone would have the patience for such going round in circles.

My point is that the Pirelli Cinturato CN36 with the N4 homologation (given by Porsche) is a brilliant road tyre fore a classic 911. I believe they are the best road tyre, but that is tricky because, the question is best at what? braking in the wet or braking in the dry. However what the independent German test says that on balance the CN36 is the best tyre. Here is the evidence https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vie...st-klassik.pdf

Incidentally if there are any Porsche fettlers that read this thread and would like to offer these tyres to the customers, then use this contact and things will be resolved for you https://www.cinturato.net/contact.html
Old 10-17-2016, 03:22 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

No, I am not an independent Porsche fettler. I'm not sure what a fettler is, but I made my career in technical fields unrelated to Porsche.

Your point is unsupported about the CN36 and, worse, you don't even understand what is involved in tire performance.

The German test is of very limited use due to the methodology employed. Sadly, you've made it clear that you also do not understand what is involved in a comparison test.

That said, the CN36 may well give good performance (besides concours looks and comfort) but it is highly unlikely to match modern tires on an early 911; much less be worth the additional cost.

You came on here without even obeying the rules, trying to hawk tires. One could let that go, but your other comments since then have just become pitiful. Now, I am sure you will post again making the same sad claims as if repetition could establish your claims as fact.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Dougal Cawley
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I pay as a sponsor of Rennlist.

Different forums have different views of who they want to have posting. as result Rennlist asked me to be a sponsor, so i coughed up.

My posts are up front.

When you just post comments rubbishing the information i have offered, and suggesting that the CN36 is just a concourse tyre then i have to set the record straight.

the repetition is yours. you have chosen to constantly rubbish my posts which i have had to set straight.

When you post comments like "you don't even understand what is involved in tire performance" & "I've been very patient with your inane assertions" & "so don't push your luck" I have to reply.

If you don't like my posts just ignore them.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:35 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

you haven't set the record straight and seem incapable of understanding the factors involved

why you'd want to embarrass yourself in this manner I have no idea

ignoring your posts would allow innocent car owners to be deceived - the point of this forum is the same as when it was it 'just' a mailing list: to help others with their cars

you'd be better off just saying the cn36 meets concours stds. and has a decent balance of NVH, comfort and performance instead of the inaccurate claims that is somehow the best sports performance tire out there
Old 10-19-2016, 07:06 AM
Dougal Cawley
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

ignoring your posts would allow innocent car owners to be deceived
If anyone else is reading this post; it is up to you to decide who is full of crap.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:18 PM
Dinodriver
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The CN36 battle

Originally Posted by Dougal Cawley
If anyone else is reading this post; it is up to you to decide who is full of crap.
I followed this thread with interest when the battle was going back and forth and as I am looking for the best tire for my new project, I read it again.

First, it is clear that Dougal is a businessman and dealer, of course, but more than that, he is well known as an absolute enthusiast honestly intending to sell you the tire fitting best to your car and your way of using it. As a result, Dougal is a well recognized member of many car communities, and his recommendations are highly respected in the Alfa Romeo, Jaguar and Dino world.

specifically, Dougal is fighting a holy crusade against wide, fat, modern tires on classic cars. For example, I tried modern Michelins, Continentals and Pirellis in 180/70 14 and 195/65 14 for my 1970 Alfa 1750 GTV, never feeling happy with them. Like dancing with a young Italian girl wearing heavy military boots.
Dougal says that such modern tires destroy the feeling and harmony of a classic - and he is right. I changed to original 165 R14, resulting in a huge improvement of sheer driving pleasure.

There are clear and evident technical reasons why a modern wide tire is not the best choice for a classic car, at least when you drive fast on German highways and Austrian or Swiss mountain passes.

Another story: for my Fiat Dino 2400, Dougal would make the biggest profit with the Michelin XWX, but he recommends the Pirelli CN36, which was originally designed for exactly this car first.
Historical remark: the press reception of the CN 36 was enthusiastic, at least in countries without speed limit. This tire was still well received many years later and winning tests in german magazines up to EOP.

When it was relaunched in 2016 (?) , I bought it for my Dino 2400. I do not like the looks so much, for concours everyone prefers the XWX, but for fast driving the CN36 is great. Biggest surprise is the rain performance, Leo Aumüller the German godfather of Abarth and Dinos drove my car once on a misty rainy November day, he was absolutely surprised .

I claim to have some practical experience in chassis testing as I was developing AWD systems for Porsche, BMW and other premium brands for more than 15 years. Even from this perspective, the driving experience of the CN 36 is impressive. For me as an engineer, it is clear why the Pirelli has such an outstanding performance, there were profound articles when it was launched.

coming back to Dougal: If you drive a Fiat Dino 2000 spider with the lightweight Aluminium engine, Dougal recommends the 185 R 14 Michelin instead of the 205/70 14 Pirelli - simply because it fits better to this specific car. So therefore, every classic car owner should be wise enough to listen to Dougals advice.
The following users liked this post:
lfl215l (03-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Need tire advice for my "new" '74 911