Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

M491 Valuation Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:56 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 41 Posts
Default M491 Valuation Help

I know that a car is basically going to be sold for what another person is willing to pay for it. I also understand that owners, myself included, sometimes get too caught up in their own car to price it reasonably.

I've toyed with the idea of selling this car in the past - to move on to another Porsche chapter in my life. I also really need to get my insurance valuation on this car corrected.

I'd like to hear some opinions from this forum on what you think the car is really worth. A real sell number. I've changed a lot on this car. Mostly because I wanted to, but also because the original bits were so badly worn. This is one of the best running Porsches I've ever owned. From an aesthetics standpoint, when I bought it, it was very poor.

Purists beware. This is no longer a stock M491. The PO must have let it sit for a long time. In the sun. The interior was shot. All the leather had pulled up and actually had a burn smell to it. Like it had baked in the sun. And the carpet was nasty. There was a monster stereo installed and some interior pieces had been modified or replaced to accommodate it. Let's put it this way - the stereo pieces I pulled out weighed almost 100 lbs. combined.

I changed the entire interior. I've gone for more of an RSR look stripped down look. New Lakewell dash, seats (full leather Recaro Pole Positions), Turbo S wheel, alternator warning light in place of the clock, no center console, entire delete of the heating and air system (running full RSR Fabspeed headers and muffler), WEVO shifter, changed from chocolate brown to black interior (headliner still needs replacing), APPBIZ full leather RS door cards, Rennline pedals, floorboards, radio and heat delete, and door locks.

I didn't change much on the exterior. I'm not running a rear valance because of the exhaust and because the original was shot. Last winter I took off the front bumper and placed the chin spoiler, valance, and bumper. All were completely shot out. I repainted everything and replaced all rubber in the process.

The paint on the car is a 7 at best. A PO clear coated the original single stage paint at some point. The car looks great from about 10 foot, but if you get close, there are lots of imperfections. I don't really care though because I drive the car at least 2 or 3 times a week to work. If I had nice paint, I'd be worried sick about it.

I have two sets of wheels for the car. A set of Magnus Walker 52 Outlaw wheels and a set of Fikse Zuffenhaus fuchs. Both are 17"x9" fronts and 17"x11" rears.

I haven't gotten into the engine at all with the exception of fixing all the oil leaks and getting everything checked out and up to snuff to drive the car wherever - whenever. She only leaks a few drops of oil and burns almost none. The dang thing NEVER smokes. Not even after sitting. And being that there is nothing but headers on the car, I'd know if it did.

While working on the front end I did find some rust around the battery area. I addressed it with POR15 treatment and it's good for now. Eventually it's going to need some pan work. Just to get it fixed and have peace of mind. The car is structurally sound.

As far as original interior pieces – they’re gone. The only parts worth saving were the Sport Seats and I sold those. I do have all of the heat and AC parts, but I question if anyone’s going to want to take the time to put them back in.

Here are a few pics of the car as she sits today. I’m also including an older pic that shows the Zuffenhaus wheels.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:50 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Didn't see mileage posted. That being said mid to upper $40's is the range that comes to mind depending on a whole host of variables not mentioned in the ad.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The car is not for sale.

That said, I'd have a "Stated Value" policy of at least $40K
Old 08-17-2016, 03:53 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Didn't see mileage posted. That being said mid to upper $40's is the range that comes to mind depending on a whole host of variables not mentioned in the ad.
So... it's an outlaw. I was going to say mid 40s if under 60k miles, 40k if 60-90k miles. Low-Mid 30s over 100k miles. All the interior mods while necessary really sting. I'm not an expert nor do I play one on forums, but have been in the market for a 3.2 lately.

Last edited by fastdiablo; 08-17-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help, everyone. I had to go out of town yesterday and thought later that I forgot to put down the mileage. It's right at 92k... undocumented until I got my hands on it. I paid $42k for the car a couple years ago. If the car is still around that same price after all I've done, I'll just keep it and keep taking it further outlawish. (I seriously think I could part the car out for more than $40k anyway.) My next mod would be to replace the suspension with all Elephant Racing equipment and then move to the engine. Either hop up the Euro 3.2 or just dump a 3.6 in. That's why I bought the headers I did. They fit either platform.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:53 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't seen a drivable M491 go for under $40k in years.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:07 PM
RFP
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune
I haven't seen a drivable M491 go for under $40k in years.
Agreed. Although my M491 experience is limited to just one car, mine, I have kept an eye on the market for these cars. It seems to me that there are some very nice cars out there that bring pretty big money, and some that have been seriously molested, that still bring more than one would think.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:23 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold my '86 a few months ago. There are lot's of variables that will play into the valuation but ultimately it only takes one buyer. I would not sell your car for 40K. There just aren't a lot of the M491's around which you certainly have to keep in mind.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:27 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

My '86
Old 08-20-2016, 12:48 AM
RFP
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My '87... 3.4 conversion by Bill Brewster
Old 08-20-2016, 08:00 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

^^^Very nice. My '86 was pushed to 3.4 as well.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have an '84 M491 coupe that was molested with a 3.6 swap and many track hours. Part of me wants to restore it to stock trim (while keeping the 3.6), but deep down I know I want a widebody backdate in a different color...I just can't bring myself to muck with it, so it sits in a state of mid-project...Thing is a blast to drive though, so no rush...

View this post on Instagram
Old 08-21-2016, 11:57 AM
Afm
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1stgear
I know that a car is basically going to be sold for what another person is willing to pay for it. I also understand that owners, myself included, sometimes get too caught up in their own car to price it reasonably.
I've toyed with the idea of selling this car in the past - to move on to another Porsche chapter in my life. I also really need to get my insurance valuation on this car corrected.

I'd like to hear some opinions from this forum on what you think the car is really worth. A real sell number. I've changed a lot on this car. Mostly because I wanted to, but also because the original bits were so badly worn. This is one of the best running Porsches I've ever owned. From an aesthetics standpoint, when I bought it, it was very poor.

Purists beware. This is no longer a stock M491. The PO must have let it sit for a long time. In the sun. The interior was shot. All the leather had pulled up and actually had a burn smell to it. Like it had baked in the sun. And the carpet was nasty. There was a monster stereo installed and some interior pieces had been modified or replaced to accommodate it. Let's put it this way - the stereo pieces I pulled out weighed almost 100 lbs. combined.

I changed the entire interior. I've gone for more of an RSR look stripped down look. New Lakewell dash, seats (full leather Recaro Pole Positions), Turbo S wheel, alternator warning light in place of the clock, no center console, entire delete of the heating and air system (running full RSR Fabspeed headers and muffler), WEVO shifter, changed from chocolate brown to black interior (headliner still needs replacing), APPBIZ full leather RS door cards, Rennline pedals, floorboards, radio and heat delete, and door locks.

I didn't change much on the exterior. I'm not running a rear valance because of the exhaust and because the original was shot. Last winter I took off the front bumper and placed the chin spoiler, valance, and bumper. All were completely shot out. I repainted everything and replaced all rubber in the process.

The paint on the car is a 7 at best. A PO clear coated the original single stage paint at some point. The car looks great from about 10 foot, but if you get close, there are lots of imperfections. I don't really care though because I drive the car at least 2 or 3 times a week to work. If I had nice paint, I'd be worried sick about it.

I have two sets of wheels for the car. A set of Magnus Walker 52 Outlaw wheels and a set of Fikse Zuffenhaus fuchs. Both are 17"x9" fronts and 17"x11" rears.

I haven't gotten into the engine at all with the exception of fixing all the oil leaks and getting everything checked out and up to snuff to drive the car wherever - whenever. She only leaks a few drops of oil and burns almost none. The dang thing NEVER smokes. Not even after sitting. And being that there is nothing but headers on the car, I'd know if it did.

While working on the front end I did find some rust around the battery area. I addressed it with POR15 treatment and it's good for now. Eventually it's going to need some pan work. Just to get it fixed and have peace of mind. The car is structurally sound.

As far as original interior pieces – they’re gone. The only parts worth saving were the Sport Seats and I sold those. I do have all of the heat and AC parts, but I question if anyone’s going to want to take the time to put them back in.

Here are a few pics of the car as she sits today. I’m also including an older pic that shows the Zuffenhaus wheels.

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
I have an 84 M491 cabriolet in which I insure with American Collectors.....
I have a $70k value on it --- I know that it will never sell for that on the market but the premium prices were so minimal from 40 - 70 that I figured I'd be covered if something ever were to happen
I too was kinda wondering the actual valuation of the car myself as I am considering selling this one
Old 08-22-2016, 11:10 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Tremelune - A 3.6 is exactly what I want to do to my car. I want to hit the go pedal and have it just rip a$$. The car as it sits with the Euro 3.2 is okay. But having driven a 993 with the 3.6, I miss that punch and seat of the pants fun!

Beautiful M491 cars everyone. Porscheguy - how did you get those deep wheels on the front of your '86? Did you change the hubs? The spacers on my hubs are built in and I'd never be able to go that deep.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 PM
panzerfaust
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So few people are modifying m491 cars. For me I just enjoy driving so much that I'm not worry that it isn't stock no more especially when they are heavier with no my power than a NB car though mine is down 300lbs at 2600lbs

What size are your RSR headers? Mine has SSI and was thinking of a 1 5/8 type manifold. I am also considering a 3.6 down the road for more punch though I'm not crazy for there exhaust note. My 3.2 has rsr type mahles, 964 cams and twin plugged and sounds absolutely wonderful like a smaller hot 3.0 motor. decisions decisions...

End of the day I want a lighter 3.0RS or SCRS inspired type car with a similar power to weight but more torque The m491 chassis and brakes are so close to those cars already

Quick Reply: M491 Valuation Help