Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911sc: Potential Fire Hazard??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:31 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you need to worry about most are the rubber hoses in the engine bay. I got a set form a vendor (not Pelican) and the brand new main T line ruptured after an hour of engine time. Thankfully the car was cold at the time. Turned out that it was made with cheap hose, not rated for the pressure of the fuel system. I then got a new set of lines made by Zimms. They do great work. You will need to send back your old lines to get your core charge returned. Well worth the peace of mind to get good fuel lines.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 AM
09mageec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
The polyamid fuel lines in the tunnel should be fine. Same with those in the engine compartment. They have a rubber outer cover, but on the inside they are plastic.

The lines from the fuel pump to the tunnel line, as well as the fuel return from the tunnel line to the fuel tank are rubber. Those would be good candidates to replace.

If you want more piece of mind, you could replace everything. I think the tunnel is going to be really tough to replace with the engine and steering rack in the way, but it is supposedly doable. At a minimum, I think you need to remove the transmission support.

After inspecting everything(along with doing a bunch of research), The hard plastic lines that run through the tunnel do not seem like they would ever become a problem. According to other threads on various forms, most who have had trouble with said hard lines, actually ended up inducing the leak/rupture by doing some sort of aftermarket work around the tunnel itself... e.g. drilling holes for racing seats, or heating the area up from welding. Basically, they don't realize the lines are running through there until it's too late.

Originally Posted by irobertson
What you need to worry about most are the rubber hoses in the engine bay. I got a set form a vendor (not Pelican) and the brand new main T line ruptured after an hour of engine time. Thankfully the car was cold at the time. Turned out that it was made with cheap hose, not rated for the pressure of the fuel system. I then got a new set of lines made by Zimms. They do great work. You will need to send back your old lines to get your core charge returned. Well worth the peace of mind to get good fuel lines.
Yes, I think this is a good idea as well. Still very new to my 911, and to the Porsche ownership world too(will always be a BMW guy as well).. Forgive me, but "Zimms"?
Old 07-29-2016, 09:06 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09mageec

Yes, I think this is a good idea as well. Still very new to my 911, and to the Porsche ownership world too(will always be a BMW guy as well).. Forgive me, but "Zimms"?
Sorry, Zim's Autotechnik
Old 07-29-2016, 09:15 AM
09mageec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irobertson
After poking around on Google, I figured that was it. Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:27 PM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yes! U better believe it.

I thought I would chime in on this thread as it directly related to it's title.
Check this post on the Pelican. My post is #52. I am not sure my friend had his lines all checked out recently, but this happened this past weekend during Monterey Car Week.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...her-911-a.html

Quick Reply: 911sc: Potential Fire Hazard??